Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

accommodations in the cinque terre; car rental in florence

Aug 29th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

we will be traveling from Lake Como and into the cinque terre October 27 - 29 on our way to Florence. We plan to train from Lake Como to Genoa then into the CT area. I have looked at hotels (B&B,etc) in Rapallo (Hotel Astoria), Monterosso al mare (Casa Dei Limoni), and Riomaggiore (I Limone). Where would any of you recommend we stay in order to: unload our luggage quickly and be located for best access to the fast trains v. the CT line so that we can see the area (Portofino - Riomaggiore) in 1.5 days? Does anyone have any comments on the hotels listed or have recommendations for other places, villages to stay? We also need recommendations for car rental agencies in Florence when we leave Florence to explore Tuscany. Thanks
Aug 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Your best bet for car rental is to use either autoeurope.com or kemwel.com. Be sure to make your decision based on price AND deductables. Lately, Kemwel has had the best prices with zero deductables. Both companies are very helpful, so feel free to call them if you have questions. They will also beat any other price offered.

Of the 3 bases you have listed, I would think that Rapallo would be your best location. With only 1.5 days you may not have time to see it all, so pick and chose wisely. I find the area is best suited for a slow, relaxing pace.
Aug 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Here's a different opinion as to the Ligurian leg of your trip. Rapallo is the only of your possible locations that's NOT part of the Cinque Terre. While I don't know any of the hotels in question, I can comment on the villages, and I strongly suggest Riomaggiore - the prettiest of the three by far.
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:28 AM

As for hotel selection, I always recommend my 2 most tried and true websites: Venere.com and www.italiancollection.com. Since people turned me onto Italian Collection, I tend to use that now since they're prompt, excellent with English, and very very nice about handling every miniscule little detail and question from pestering guests. And they also have info on car rentals (I want to say they have something with Avis, but I may be thinking of someone else, so better to ask them directly) that has proven truly helpful to everyone who asked me and was dissappointed when they found out I don't drive. Anyway, they have a lot of variety and are wonderful with personal attention, so it's worth it.
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Try Levanto as a base for the CT, although not technically a part of the CT, it is considered the "6th Town of the CT"..it is an easy 10 minute train ride to Monterosso. Levanto has a bigger beach than the five towns, more hotels and restaurants yet has the same quaint feel as the CT. An ideal base area. Enjoy!

Mikek