Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Atms at Heathrow or wait until i London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched this topic but the responses were over 3 years old. Will be arring via Delta and need to get pounds then dash off to London to meet a tour near the London Eye. I already have London pass for the Underground. Help. . .leave in four days. Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 09:54 AM

How much time do you have to meet your tour?

When a lot of international flights land at once Immigration can take a while - and I've had to wait up to 45 minutes to get luggage. Will you have time to drop luggage at hotel?
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

No time to drop bag asI am staying near Belsize. Will meet up with groups of GS for the Tea Time Tour so I figure I can just keep bag with me on the bus. Because I know the Customs/Immigration will take some time,that's. Why I'mgoing right to tour. Just need to pickup some cash.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Immigration took me an hour last fall at LHR.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I figure that will take an hour. . .still need Atm advice.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:49 AM

Well, why/when do you need cash? The ATM's at LHR now charge a little more than those in city, I've read, so I decided to wait. Plenty of ATM's around the city at banks and near tourist areas like the Eye, so seems like you could wait unless you needed them before getting on the bus (once you contact the group, I'd be astonished if they didn't give you 5 minutes, even if you were last one "aboard," to get cash.)

You should definitely allow over an hour for getting through stuff and then almost an hour for the Tube ride--but on the trip I just returned from, we were through everything and waiting for the Heathrow Connect train in around 30 mins--it was great--but not what I'd experienced before. It was a very early--7 am--arrival which may have helped.

Have fun
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There never is a definitive answer for your question, or..it depends. One work-around would be to exchange some dollars at your departure international airport, if possible, as much as you'd like to have in your pocket until a convenient ATM appears when you have the time on arrival. Things may go smoothly with a short line at immigration and no line at an airport ATM, or they may not.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have checked luggage?

If so you'll have to wait for it at the carousel - so while you are waiting walk the few feet over to the ATM and get your cash.

>>The ATM's at LHR now charge a little more than those in city, I've read, so I decided to wait.<<

That may be true -- I'm not 100% sure since things do change. But each one I've used (3 in the last 10-ish months, last time just in April) have had notices on them that they do not charge fees to use.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 11:41 AM

The Heathrow website is unhelpful, saying this: “Cash dispensers (ATMs) are available before and after security control in every terminal at Heathrow. Most cash machines accept UK bank and building society cards without surcharge. They also accept major credit cards.”
This suggests that you could find an ATM en route to passport check or possibly waiting for luggage. But it doesn't say whether it will be operated by Travelex or a bank. Ignore the suggestion of using a credit card to withdraw cash, which is equivalent to visiting your friendly neighbourhood loan shark.
However: Given your schedule, it will be worth saving the bother to just use the first Travelex machine you see. It may cost a few dollars more, or even a pound or two more, but after a long plane flight and in the labyrinth of Heathrow, convenience comes before cost.
This airport guide offers suggestions for locations: http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co...acilities.html
But it is not an official guide so I'd regard it as a hint, not gospel.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 12:32 PM

Even the Travelex machines had the "No Fee" notices on them (which I found interesting since the travelex bureau de Change do charge -- but it could have been part of the contract they got w/ BAA to not charge at the machines???)

There are ATMs in the areas near the baggage carousels in any of the terminals I've used.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 12:48 PM

We passed and used a Travelex machine enroute from Passport Control to Connecting Flights in April and the exchange rates was $1.496 which included a $5.00 surcharge from Wells Fargo in the US. The rate the next day in Edinburgh was $1.495.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 01:06 PM

>>which included a $5.00 surcharge from Wells Fargo in the US.<<

That's what I remembered -- no charge from travelex, only a charge by your own bank.

(BTW WF will forgive the $5 fee if you have the right sort(s) of accounts. )
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 02:20 PM

The usual caveat about DCC applies. I don't know if Heathrow Travelex ATMs offer DCC, but when asked, always choose to do the transaction in local currency (in this case pound - GBP), not in US$ or whatever your card's billing currency.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 02:32 PM

Yes -- when I hit the ATM at LHR arrivals the screen offered DCC. Of course I didn't take it. But maybe that is where Travelex gets its income from these machines. Bamboozling those who think using their own currency sounds like a peachy idea.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Travelex is NOT in business to give out money without making a profit somewhere along the line and if there is no fee then they are building that profit in somewhere else.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 02:47 PM

But not from the machines as far as I can tell . . . UNLESS once selects the DCC option. So that is where they get any profit . . . by providing that extra 'service'.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 02:49 PM

. . . oh and of course from any customers who's cards don't work and they have to step across to the <i>conveniently</i> located Travelex desk to get cash. And where they will pay massive fees.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 06:58 PM

When I came through Heathrow a few weeks ago, there were ATM machines at several places. My bank does not charge me to use foreign ATMs and there did not seem to be a charge by the ATM. I just grabbed some pounds and headed to the Heathrow Express and was at my hotel in Paddington in less than an hour.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 02:14 AM

<i>I already have London pass for the Underground.</i>

Oh dear. London Pass is poor value for anyone who can't move at the speed of Usain Bolt, the travel option is extremely poor value.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 02:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm struggling with the time loss at an ATM, now I'm a bit slow with IT, but 30 seconds....? You'll lose that because the guy in the queue for immigration kept his passport in its fancy leather case.

I think sometimes we worry a lot about the small stuff. Just use the ATM's in the concourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -