Search

ATM or Debit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Karen

ATM or Debit?

We had been planning to use our ATM cards this time for a three-week trip to France, but our bank has thoroughly confused us. They said people have trouble with ATMs, but not with "debit" cards--the ones that look like credit cards but withdraw money directly from your checking account. Could anyone tell me whether it's ATM or "debit" that we should be bringing, please? Thanks.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Robin

What your bank was probably trying to explain is that these cards work on various networks-- here you might see Star or Explore, which are not recognized outside of the US. However, your same ATM card may very well be part of the Visa or Mastercard networks (designated by Plus or Cirrus), which are recognized worldwide. Take a look at the back of the card. It should have several logos representing the networks. If you don't have one of the majors, you may want to consider a debit card. But chances are you already have what you need.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Rich

<BR> <BR>For what it's worth, and for reasons neither VISA or my bank could figure out, when we arrived in Paris last November, my VISA debit card would not work in any of a dozen places. My ATM would. The bank actually had warned me that the ATM probably would not. The real irony is that both cards are tied to the same checking account. I had 'em scratching their heads and butts at the same time. <BR> <BR>One thing I learned, however, is that anytime your VISA (and I expect other debit cards as well) will not work in a machine, the bank is obliged to give you a "cash advance" against the VISA, VISA then debits your account. It is part of their agreement with VISA. I had to press pretty hard to make that happen, but after asking to speak to a manager, eventually it did. <BR> <BR>The most reliable ATM machines we found were the post office ones . . go figure! <BR> <BR>Enjoy France . . we certainly do when ever we can get there. <BR> <BR>Rich

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Art

I've used both ATM and debit cards in Hungary, Czech Republic, Spain, Portugal, France and Germany and have had no problems. One is Cirrus, Maestro and Star and the other is Plus, Interlink and star. <BR>Regards <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Art

I forgot to mention one is a mastercard and the other is visa. <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Andrea

Next question is usually to do w/pin numbers.I had heard that it should have 4 digits and the first # should not be a zero.I changed my pin to 4 digits and had no problems.I did get good advice from a friend who advised me to use ATM's a)early in the day-the Europeans have fallen in love w/them and so many machines run out of money b)located in bank lobbies for better stocked machines and safety

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Joanna

Karen, <BR> <BR>I would recommend you also purchase some French Franc or USD travellers cheques, as these can be replaced if lost or stolen. If your ATM card(s) is stolen you will be in a precarious financial position.