Reload this Page >

ATM Debits Happen When?

Search

ATM Debits Happen When?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Jill

ATM Debits Happen When?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for a European ATM to actually debit your <BR>USA bank account when you're traveling?

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 11:54 AM
greg

It can take few days. We used an ATM at CDG airpoort around 10am Saturday, and as of 9am Monday US Pacific Standard Time, it was still an entry "to be posted to my account" on MOnday night.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 12:39 PM
StCirq

Depends what time of day you withdraw in Europe, what time of day your own bank posts new account status, and the day of the week. It can be quite complicated - e.g.,, in rural France, where I am right now, banks are closed Sundays and Mondays. I made an ATM withdrawal today, Sunday, at about noon my time. My bank in France won't be open again until Tuesday, and I'd bet that that withdrawal won't get posted until then. It will then take at least a day, plus the time difference, for the withdrawal to appear in my US account, and the time difference being 6 hours, that could mean two days. In sum, impossible to tell but three days is a good guess.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Debbie

It can post the same day if the timing is correct. I withdrew money in Munich at about 11 AM on a Thursday morning, and it debited my USA bank account that evening.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Brad

Let's put it this way. If you don't have money in your account any time of day or night you won't get any money out of the ATM machine in a Europe. I took money out of my checking account in Connecticut at an ATM in Ravello, Italy on 5/22. My checking account was debited on 5/22. <BR> <BR>I still miss the days when it took two weeks for a check to clear and the real good old days when your Visa or MasterCard with the $1,000 limit could get you $10,000 worth of stuff in Europe. Those days are long gone.

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Joyce

Jill, I was just checking that very thing, got my bank statement yesterday! We were in Italy last month, and made ATM withdrawals in 7 different cities. All were debited the same day, except for one we made on Sunday, and that was debited the next day. We can't figure out what the fee was - there are no fee deductions anywhere, and the rate looked mighty good. For example,for an ATM withdrawal of L500,000, we were debited $229.54. I wonder if the fees are built in? Anyone know? Joyce

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Sherry

Of course all banks could be different. But while in France, I withdrew money at ATM's three times. I know that my bank charges a $1.50 fee for each of these kinds of transactions in Europe. AT the end of my banking statement was a listing for $4.50 for cash withdrawal charges. That is how my bank shows the service fee. They also tell me that they charge no extra service charge for ATM withdrawals envolving foreign currency. The best way for you to really find out is to call your financial institution.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:15 AM
Emily

I have found that the time to post varies - even using the same bank. I live in London and have a US bank account. I usually use the same cash point and sometimes it takes 1 day, while other times it may take 3. I was in Amsterdam a couple of months ago and it took almost a week for a transaction to post (I used the cash point on Saturday, and it posted the following Friday)! It's usually 1 - 3 days though. . .