Reload this Page >

ATM at CDG airport upon arrival??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 10:27 AM
Marcie

Are we safe to arrive in Paris at CDG with no french currency? I was planning to hit the ATM immediately at the airport (this is assuming there is an ATM within the airport).

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 10:43 AM
Frank

Hello Marcie, <BR>Yes, you are safe to arrive in Paris with no french francs. There are Exchange counters right there in the airport before you even get out the door. The attendents will understand what you need. Just remember to have your Passport ready to exchange money. <BR>It will be needed at that point. <BR>I'm not sure as to there being ATM machines in the airport. What with all the different currencies out there that one can change into francs, I doubt it. <BR>Bon voyage! <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 11:43 AM
Lee

Marcie: I believe that Frank is correct: No ATM's in the airport that I noticed. <BR> <BR>When you change your currency at one of the counters, change less than $50.00 at CDG. When you get into the city, you can change your money at the "Bureau de Change", which will provide you with a more favorable rate. The "RER" train (if you choose) that takes you into town will allow a credit card at the station. Use your credit card(s) whenever possible for the best exchange rates. Have fun! <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 12:25 PM
Louis

When you arrive you will be tired and with luggage. Changing money at this time is just another pain. It is best to come with 500 French franks in as small bills as you can get. You can then concentrate on getting to Paris. If there are two or more of you together, I consider it a foolish waste of energy and time not to take a taxi which should be under 350F including tip and luggage. Considering all related costs, a couple might save as much as $25 by taking alternate trasportation. The exchange rate advantage from an ATM is only about $20 on a $1,000 as compared to other alternatives. The main reason to use ATM's is that they are convenient, open 24hrs, and you don't have to carry around more than about a day's requirement for French currancy.

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 08:20 PM
Joyce

Yes, Marcie, there are ATMs at CDG. I used one on our last trip. One can check ATM locations here on the web. Just type in ATM locator in any net search. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 02:52 AM
francesca

There are ATMs at every terminal at CDG. They all take VISA, and some take other cards as well. It is important to ensure you have a PIN code that can be used in France. PIN codes over 4 characters often have problems. Check with your bank. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 06:16 AM
Frank

Hi Marcie (me again).. <BR> <BR>ATM usage charge vs. exchange rate fee.....you may want to compare. <BR> <BR>Also, a final word on taxi vs. metro: <BR>You can buy an all-day pass for about 96 francs ($18 USD)Per Person right there at the RER terminal. This gets you unlimited usage around Paris until midnight of the day of purchase.....that to me beats any one-way taxi fare to a hotel..and then buy transportation for the rest of the day?? <BR>Think about it...... <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 06:57 AM
Wasa the Swede

ATM's in mayor european airport. I wold be suprised if it's less then 25 ATM's at the airport. have never thought about it my self. But I know thereis one American Express ATM there. I have used that one myself. <BR> <BR> <BR>Wasa

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 09:40 AM
Christina

Personally, you shouldn't have a problem <BR>as even if ATM doesn't work, there are <BR>bureaux de change in CDG altho rates <BR>are not good, but just to get into town <BR>doesn't matter much. Exchange rate diff. <BR>is even less than someone mentioned (2 pct) <BR>on ATMs vs travelers checks in Paris; <BR>more like 1 pct w/no fee, and you will pay a <BR>transaction fee at ATMs ($2-5). My <BR>ATM card did not work in Paris 1/2 the time <BR>though, regardless of correct PIN, etc. <BR> If Frank (think it was him) paid 96FF for <BR>a one day metro pass, he really made a <BR>bad choice; you can buy an entire week's <BR>metro pass (Carte Orange) for about 75FF, <BR>and you can buy an all-day Mobilis metro <BR>pass for only 30FF, I believe; these are <BR>very convenient on days you will travel <BR>a lot if you don't want weekly pass. <BR>He may have bought a tourist pass <BR>(Paris Visite); if so, this is absurd as a <BR>Mobilis card is only 1/3 cost and also gives <BR>unlimited metro/bus transportation for <BR>a day.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 12:57 PM
Joyce

The fee for using an ATM anywhere in the world is set by your issuing bank. Europe has an agreement with the U.S. that there is no extra charge made to use any ATM in Europe. Just what your bank at home charges. My bank charges $1.00 if I use my ATM card anywhere but at that bank, whether it is 2 blocks down the street or in Europe. I have never been charged more than $1.00 for using my card all over Europe. I know some banks charge different amounts, but you know what your bank charges, and it will be the same in Paris. Plus, you get the official, commercial exchange rate, which is what you see in the daily newspaper and is available only to institutions doing millions of dollars of business in one day. When you cash travelers checks, or exchange currency in Europe, you are paying dearly for the privilege. Often the exchange site will brag, "NO COMMISSION" - Maybe not, but they are using a much higher rate of exchange than you will pay through an ATM. After all, they are not in business just to do you a favor - their objective is to make money. The exchange rate you will get in using your ATM for cash advances and your Visa (or other charge card) for purchases is absolutely the lowest available to anyone. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 01:17 PM
Christina

The remarks in the previous post are not <BR>accurate. The fee you are charged by an <BR>ATM in Europe is usu. assessed by the <BR>network, not your bank (i.e, PLUS, MOST, etc) <BR>It shows up on your bank statement regardless, <BR>though, so people assume it is your <BR>bank charging it. It is most often than $1; mine <BR>is $2 which is rather good. <BR>And I do know what I'm talking about <BR>in comparing travelers checks rates to ATMs, <BR>because I've done both, most recently one <BR>month ago, and I made a point of comparing <BR>the rates. Paris is very competitive on <BR>TCs, many other cities or countries are <BR>not, and my statement is correct. You <BR>do NOT pay dearly for cashing TCs in <BR>Paris--the diff between the bank rate <BR>and TC exchange rate WITH NO EXTRA <BR>FEE is indeed about 1 pct. TCs are <BR>more expensive in other cities or <BR>countries (ie, Austria), but not in Paris. <BR>I find it odd that people who claim never <BR>to use TCs know so much about comparing <BR>the rates of ATMs vs. TCs. As an exact <BR>example, I got an exchange rate of 6.01 <BR>FF per USD on my VISA credit card and <BR>the exact same day I got 5.92FF per USD <BR>at a Bureaux de Change in Paris with <BR>no extra fee. If I had used an ATM, I <BR>would have gotten about 6FF, but with <BR>a 2 pct fee ($2) if I got about $100. <BR>You do the math (5.92/6). This was <BR>not exceptional, either, as I go to Paris <BR>almost every year I know these rates. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 02:41 PM
Caryn

There is definitely an ATM machine at CDG because I used it on July 31. There were more than one. Don't worry, there are ATM machines literally everywhere. You do not need to bring any cash except maybe $100 for emergency.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 05:40 PM
Maribeth

Since you already know there are plenty of ATM's, here's a word of CAUTION: If you use a CREDIT (not a debit) card overseas, some companies charge an exhorbitant fee, as I sadly found out with my First USA card. The last day in Paris we took out 100 ff and used the credit card we had instead of our debit. The 100ff was about 16.77 dollars. Anyway, First USA charged $10 for the withdrawl!!!!! (60% of the amount!) Loan sharks give better rates than that--at least they stick to around 50%?! Anyway, check into the charges before you decide what card(s) to use there.

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 01:20 PM
Frank

Christina seems to have done her homework on comparing rates on ATM vs TC. <BR>Although I've never been, nor previously stated herein to be, knowledgeable on ATM fees, I merely stated to compare rates. And now Christina, has done that for you, albeit in a most questionable manner. <BR>I guess, too, we now know that there ARE indeed ATM machines in CDG -- which was after all the original question. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 06:56 PM
Donna

With great reluctance, I must jump in here. There are ATM's all over CDG. Make SURE you have a four digit (numbers, no letters) PIN and that you know what network(s) (Cirrus, Plus, NYCE, etc.) your card can be used on, as most ATM's are one or some but not all. Know the difference between withdrawing cash with a credit card, ATM card, or ATM/debit card. On one trip, neither my nor my husband's ATM cards worked anywhere in Paris (which never happened before and hasn't happened since and the bank has never been able to explain this - and others on the AOL board have mentioned this as well). We always convert about $100 US to French Francs before leaving home to cover getting to the hotel and other incidentals. We also take some American Express traveler's checks in French Francs. You can use these in restaurants and shops for their face value. You can exchange them at an American Express Office for the face value. In nearly all hotels, you can cash them right at the front desk, no fees or charges, for the face value. We have learned to be prepared for all contingencies. The small differences (and I used to analyze this obsessively upon our return) in methods of exchanging money (except for fees and interest involved in credit card cash advances and "rip-off" exchange places) are just not worth fretting over. However, the airport or a hotel front desk are probably the top two places with the least favorable exchange rates. So, my advice is to take about 600FF with you, bring some American Express travelers checks in French Francs, in case your ATM card doesn't work for some reason, and then put everything else on a credit card. If you have any traveler's checks left over, use them toward your hotel bill when you check out (this avoids having to change them back).