Search

Atlantic coast ville via TGV from CDG, I'm open if it's quiet/on the coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:46 PM
moi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlantic coast ville via TGV from CDG, I'm open if it's quiet/on the coast

Thank you for opening this post. I'm landing in CDG and would like to just take the TGV (or other train, but from CDG)to a quiet town ON the coast atlantic and watch the waves. Don't need anything to do, will have 4 or 5 days until I need to be to work (in Paris). Where would you go? Beautiful, old, a plus. Will have free time in mid March. Thank you, Moi.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Ahh...sounds just like my kind of respite. Haven't been there yet, but what about Brittany? Maybe travelers familiar with the specifics will chime in. Wherever you end up, have a wonderful time.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:26 PM

I don't know much about beach resorts because I don't go to them, but I think the TGV only goes to about two Atlantic coast towns like that -- La Rochelle (going a little SW of Poitiers) and La Baule a little NW of Nantes (which I don't think is a quiet town, it's a popular beach resort in Brittany, see ww.labaule.fr)
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:33 PM

I think the town of Dinard in Brittany would suit you very nicely. The TGV goes from Paris to Rennes and perhaps Nantes, but you might need a car from that point unless there is local train service. You could also consider Honfleur.

This sounds like a lovely, relaxing thing to do.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:03 PM
moi
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at them all. M.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM

You're fairly limited if you can only go where the TGV goes, but there are some choices. You could take the TGV to Bordeaux and then a bus to Arcachon. It's where the Bordeaux wine widows built their mansions and definitely a quiet place in March. YOu might be able to get to the Dune de Pilat and Cap Ferret, too, on public transportation.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:50 PM

St Cirq - Interesting! I also thought of Arachon but didn't know about transportation. Had a car when we were there. I think it would be a great choice and I love the architecture.
Moi - Enjoy! CJ
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:23 PM

You may also go to Vannes and visit the nearby Morbihan gulf. Very nice and quiet place.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:36 PM

For ease of transportation, architecture, affordable...I don't think you can beat La Rochelle. (You can pull up my recent trip report if you want details) Weather should be good at either La Rochelle at Arcachon (Bordeaux), certainly warmer than in Brittany.

For sitting, watching the waves and meditating, my special place would be in Brittany just down from Dinard, a small village called Ploumanach. Harder to get to, but the rose granite rocks against the emerald green sea are something to behold!