Atkins Diet

Jun 13th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Barbara

Atkins Diet

My husband is on Atkins diet and we will be in Italy for 25 days. Will he have a problem getting meat, eggs, no carbs!
thanks for your help.

Jun 13th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Kavey

Nope not really...

He might be bummed about having to miss out on all the pasta, but most places serve a variety of meat dishes and he just needs to specify no potatoes amongst the side vegetables...

Kavey

Jun 13th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Barbara

Thanks! what about breakfast. What is on the buffets at the hotels. Any eggs, bacon, sausage, etc?

Jun 13th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Paulo

Breakfast may turn out "thin" here and there!
Paulo

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Kavey

It depends very much on the hotel you have booked...

Some of the 4 or 5 stars have good buffet breakfasts, and even if there is no hot food such as you have mentioned there would be probably be things like fruit and yoghurt and cereal (can he do cereal or is that a carb, I am a bit crap at remembering)...

But the 2 and 3 stars I have alwyas stayed in dont alwys have much other than various patisseries and tea/ coffee.

Ask of the hotel before you go and perhaps request in advance for them to provide something without carb for him.

They may be willing to do this without charging extra (to the extent that a place usually providing breads may provide yoghurts and fruit instead, but not a fully cooked breakfast instead).

I hope he will occasionally wonder off diet to sample the wonderful fresh pastas and breads on offer?

Kavey

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:08 PM
elaine

Hi
Barbara
I responded to your question on the other message board but I'll repeat it here just in case you don't see it there

I'm on the Carbohydrate's Diet so I only have carbohydrates once a day. Find a hotel where the breakfast buffet includes cold ham and cheeses in addition to the tempting breads and
fruit. Ask the hotel what foods are included in the buffet and don't be embarrassed--I sometimes use say that I have a medical problem, or allergies, which is just easier for others to understand. A true American or English-style breakfast (bacon and
eggs) will generally only be available at the large and deluxe hotels where they charge a very high price
for cooked breakfasts (as much as the equivalent of $25-$30. However, if that appeals to you, you may
be able to go for breakfast even if you are not a guest at that particular hotel. For lunches I've found
broiled/grilled fish/meats, salads (tell them to leave out the potatoes, carrots, squash), omelettes, etc.
For side veggies you can almost always see cooked spinach as one of the offerings. good luck