Reload this Page >

Vitamin Supplements/Jet lag?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Anne

At the risk of sounding neurotic....Now I've done almost all my preparations for my Paris trip, I'm starting to worry about getting sick or too jet-lagged to enjoy the first few days! Has anyone got any suggestions? I'm thinking of taking my usual vitamins plus melatonin (for jet-lag) and echanacia (sp?) to avoid a cold. I realise people may be nervous to suggest stuff, but it seemed the one topic nobody has discussed.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 02:46 PM
janis

Melatonin only works for some people - and then only if you start using it several days before your trip. <BR> <BR>Everyone reacts differently - But here are the basics: No alcohol on the flight (one glass of red wine w/ dinner is OK but definitely avoid all the free drinks offered); Drink LOTS of water - take a bottle along so you can drink even when the flight attendants can't get to you; No caffeine - including colas; Before dinner get up and walk as much as you can - but after dinner on with the eye shades and earphones/plugs and try to sleep -even 2 hours of sleep will help a lot; And most important -- No matter how tempting it is when you get to Paris, do not go to sleep when you check in to your hotel. Even a nap will insure your body clock stays mixed up even longer. Don't over tax the first day but stay up until 9 - 10 PM Paris time. Then sleep until you wake up naturally in the morning and you will be 90% towards curing your jet lag. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Anne

Thanks for the good advice. I did read somewhere else about taking an antihistamine (Benadryl or whatever)so you can sleep better on the flight. Am considering it! I've waited years for this trip and don't want to miss a thing! We arrive in the morning, so I thought we'd follow Rick Steve's tour of the Notre Dame area that afternoon as that is where we are staying. Then early-ish dinner at casual restaurant then bed-time as you suggested (9-10pm)! Rick Steve's books are simple, but very good if combined with another more substantial guide. Easier to carry too!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 04:06 PM
JOdy

HI, <BR>I agree with the previous poster , the best cure for jet lag is get out in the suN&gt; Move around,have an early dinner then sleep. <BR> <BR>I have always done this and I never have symptoms, my husband however refused to do it and gave in, sleeping in lobbies if the room wasn't ready. On the last 2 trips we took , I made him follow my regime, and wonder of wonders , no jet lag. <BR>I do take a Benadryl, but I take an antihistamone almost every day anyway,the non sedating kind, but on the plane it's Benadryl or CTM. This way I do catch a few hours sleep. <BR> <BR>After about 4 days , MDH invariably came down with what I call " 24 hr airplane flu". I toohave felt a little dicey sometimes. I read on some other forum about 2 years ago to use a saline nasal spray about every 1/2 hour or so when you are awake, and we have done so the last 4 trips and neither of us has had a sick day since, Ayr, Ocean are some of the brrands, or if you are like me just get the generic. Don't know why it works but we have not had a problem since using it. <BR>Have a great time!!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Robin

I just wanted to clarify that there are a couple of strategies for combatting jet lag being discussed. Janis' advice is sort of focused on re-adjusting your internal clock ASAP (try to sleep on the plane at the right time, don't go to bed when you arrive, get out into the light). I've had good luck doing this as well. Taking Benadryl, Tylenol PM, etc. will help you sleep, but resorting to artificial help may have its own consequences. I've traveled with people doing every version of this, and it does seem to affect everyone differently. <BR> <BR>I've taken melatonin and it works for me, but I thinks it's because I use it in the context of what I know works anyway-- adapting to the new daylight schedule as quickly as I can. <BR> <BR>One other comment. You don't say if being sick or tired is a worry because you know it has happened before, but you may not need to worry about it. My experience is that I do the first few days on pure adrenalin, and it doesn't really matter whether I'm at my peak-- I'm so thrilled to be there! I hope you don't have any problems, but I hope if you do, that energy will bail you out!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Shanna

For the past few years, before going on trips, I've taken echinacea and extra zinc, and a powder that fizzes in water called Emergen-C. Originally it was advertised as drink to prevent colds, dehydration, etc. Now it's label says for "energy." In any event, I used it prior to leaving for Paris and found that taking it in the afternoon at work kept that sleepy afternoon thing at bay. Then in Paris I had a glass upon landing, then took it for a few days after arriving, just a glass in the a.m. I was amazed at how alert I felt. I'll be using it regularly now to avoid the afternoon slump.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Bibendum

As one who travels to France regularly on business and then sits through days of meetings before returning, I will vouch for Janis' approach. Failure to sleep on the plane is really getting off to a bad start. Succumbing to sleep before dark in Paris will totally screw you up. I do take melatonin, but I have no idea if it works.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Help

Where does one purchase Melatonin, please?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 09:01 PM
Karen

I have taken Emergen-C, too. I take it at home regularly, but have used it traveling ,too. It really does work! I think that besides averting potential colds, etc. from the close quarters in the plane, it does give me a little boost of energy. I'm definitely taking several packets with me on my next trip - which hapens to be in 6 days!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:04 PM
Gerry

Dear help, <BR>I got about 100 year supply of Melatonin at Costco for about $10. Probably available at any health food store. I can't tell if it works. Probably its just psychological. Here's what I do: When I get on the plane, I set my watch to destination time. I then do what I would normally do according to that new time. Sleep and eat by the new time. My mind seems to take it from there and I have little problem. It seems harder when I get home. <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 06:21 AM
Shanna

Also powerbars. I used to take crackers or cookie snacks, particularly when making connecting flights serving no food, but take powerbars now that some of them taste good. Clif bars(C)are delicious and, if the labels are correct, aren't filled with a bunch of chemicals and preservatives. They travel well, take up very little space, and if you don't eat them now, you can eat them later, unlike those crackers which will be nothing but crumbs after a trip.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Lou

Has anyone ever tried "Vinnex?" It's supposed to be a controlled herbal mix that helps with jet lag and hang-overs. I heard about it in an interview on the radio, but I have no idea whether or not it works. <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Marilyn Ham

We usually try to follow the Argonne Laboratory diet that starts about 4 days before and is a combination of high carbohydrates one day alternated with high protein the next day. You start the day of your trip with no caffein or alcohol and on carbohydrates (both will leave you a little sleepy for the plane ride) and drink lots of water. As soon as we have our dinner, we use sleep masks, earplugs, and melatonin and sleep as much as possible. The first day on arrival we stay up and in the sunshine and go to bed at a reasonable hour. Usually we get up the next day early. Sometimes on the third day we are a bit sleepy, but mostly over it. Just take extra precautions on the first day as sometimes the body is in motion, but the mind has not kicked in. Marilyn