Reload this Page >

Athens Traffic Mess

Search

Athens Traffic Mess

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Carol

Athens Traffic Mess

Has anyone flown into Athens recently? I understand the traffic from the new airport into town is hellatious. Can anyone comment on average driving time between the Plaka and the airport? Thanks!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:06 PM
Art

Hi Carol, have not been there for 3 years so don't really know. I do know that the city is a massive traffic jam from 6:00 AM till midnight during week days. Maybe topping this will get you another response. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Sandy

It depends on what time of day you arrive, my early morning flight required @25 minutes from Kolonaki, peak time probably more than an hour. Spata airport is a bit further out than the old airport.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Chris

We were there about a month ago -- taxi from Plaka to airport took 45 min at about 12:15PM on a Saturday. Hope this helps!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Carol

Thanks for your replies. I'm having nightmares that it will take 90+ minutes to get into town.....that's worse than NYC. Didn't the subway help alleviate some of this congestio? Personally, I liked the convenience of the old airport.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Mike

Carol, <BR> <BR> To be on the safe side, give yourself 2 hours to get to the new airport from the Plaka. Traffic in Athens is totally unpredictable!!! I know.......I lived and drove in the city for three years and it's chaos. Good luck!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Carol

Thanks everyone for your input. We have a flight at 3:40PM, and I have people touring until 12:30. Guess it will be from the tour bus to the transfer bus in a skinny minute!