Athens to Mykonos - Ferry or Plane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip from Athens to Mykonos - departing Athens on May 26th to Mykonos and then Mykonos to Athens on June 1st. I'm trying to decide between High Speed Ferry/Hydrofoil or Air travel. Is it worth the trip/time to take a high speed ferry or hydrofoil over the water to enjoy being out on the water or should I just take a plane? I have found that roundtrip from Athens to Mykonos and back is about $ 195 on Olympic Airlines. I know the high speed water transportation is a little less expensive, but takes longer and not sure if it's even enjoyable. Any suggestions on which to take and if taking the ferry or hydrofoil from Pireaus, which specific one (name) and price? Thank very much!!!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Aegean Airlines has much better fares and in fact are having an airfare sale right now. Some flights are still only 19 Euro one way.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

Depending on the ferries can leave you stranded if there are high winds or mechanical breakdowns.

You can take a modern highspeed ferry, the Blue Star Seajet II from Rafina, which is reached from Athens by bus or taxi.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 03:17 PM

I would fly between any islands if you can. We flew a few years back and it was great. Up and you were there. We met many people who were delayed because they were taking ferries and there were rough seas.

Have a great trip.

Travelatte
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I checked out Aegean Air. Unfortunately the times of the flights wouldn't work. Olympic seemed to have the better times (early flight on May 26th and early flight on June 1st, so that I can catch my plane in Athens to go back to the United States). If I took the catamaran in Rafina, how much time would it take from the center of Athens via taxi/bus to Rafina? How expensive is it bus vs taxi? Is there a convenient bus somewhere in the city or would it be easier taking a taxi since I will have luggage? Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM

A bus from Athens to Rafin takes around an hour I believe, although it's been 3 summers since I've been there so I could be off a bit.

I've been to Mykonos with ferries from both Rafina and Pireaus ... it takes around 1 hour less if you go take the ferry from Rafina.

Sailing the Aegean on shorter trips can be fun. I hope you have good weather.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I also recommend flying, for the reasons spelled out by the others. As I recall, with the larger ferries, you will be brought in by tenders, which can be rough going. On the hydrofoil you will most likely be sitting inside of a pretty noisy "hull". One more piece of advise: If the seas are rough, skip the Delos trip. It can be pretty hard on the stomach.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM

The tenders are now a thing of the past, at least on the popular islands like Mykonos, Santorini and the rest of the "major" Cyclades Islands. All these islands have ports/docks large enough and deep enough to accomodate the new ferries. Many years ago one of the ferry lines used to stop out in the water below Oia at Armeni and a tender would shuttle passengers back and forth between the boat and the dock, but that company is no longer in business.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:23 AM

Are you are looking at the winter ferry schedules, which have fewer departures than in late spring and summer? It could be that when the new schedules are released, there will be a ferry that suits your needs. Having said that, by the time the late-May ferry schedules are released, it may be too late to get a seat on Olympic. Therefore I recommend you go ahead with your flight booking. As a rule of thumb, Olympic flights are about three times the cost of conventional ferries, with highspeed tickets somewhere in-between the two.

Regarding the enjoyment of ferry vs flight, it's all in what you want, really. With the highspeeds you sit in an airline-like cabin, and the windows are often partly clouded with spray. There is a small outside deck in the stern, and it's fun to go out when the ferry is docking, but very windy at full speed. With conventional ferries you can sit on the deck and watch the world go by, but they are very slow. Flights are quick, and you get a beautiful bird's-eye view of the islands

There are no hydrofoils to Mykonos from either Rafina or Pireaus. Many people seem to confuse them with catamarans, which are a completely different type of vessel.

The Highspeed 1, 2, 3, etc operated by Hellas Flying Dolphins are large, car-carrying catamarans, which are quiet and very comfortable, running in all but the roughest seas. Blue Star's SeaJet2, on the other hand, is a small catamaran that operates out of Rafina. I would avoid this one because it is frequently cancelled in high winds while the larger ferries are still running.