Athens, Sifnos and....?

Old Aug 30th, 2021, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens, Sifnos and....?

Hello! My wife and I are in the early stages of planning our Greek Island adventure for next August and was hoping for some advice on which additional island we should visit.

We are for sure going to Athens and Sifnos. The mix of history and culture in Athens (and convenience) and the less touristy and authentic Sifnos are attractive to us. The third island is TBD...

We are in our early to mid-30s and enjoy music and nightlife (but not necessarily clubbing into the early morning hours). Mykonos was an obvious thought and we think it would be lively and fun and a good contrast to Sinfos, but also think it might be too much of a tourist trap?

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a nice contrast to Sifnos with a bit more nightlife? I read Paros might be a good option? Would love your insights!
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 05:18 AM

Naxos would be a good option as it's close to Sifnos.

It's the largest of the Cyclades and has more to offer with a nice mix of touristy and non-touristy. Lots to keep you occupied regardless of your interest.

Myknos is not for me, especially August the height of the tourist season.

Old Aug 30th, 2021, 05:52 AM

Paros is easier to reach from Sifnos than Naxos. The small Sea Jets catamaran that goes daily from Sifnos in summer stops first at Paros, taking only 50 minutes. From there it stops at Mykonos before going on to Naxos, taking nearly 3 hours in total.

Unfortunately Naxos gets hyped all out of proportion. Although it’s the largest island in the Cyclades, nearly all the tourist infrastructure is in the small southwestern corner of the island, which gets very crowded in August. Crazyh, who once went to Naxos in October, hasn’t experienced the summer crowding. This summer Naxos has had the highest Covid positivity rate in all of Greece:
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/20...delta-variant/

I’ve been to Naxos several times, and enjoyed my visits, but much prefer Paros and Antiparos, which can be taken together in one visit. Antiparos gets crowded in August, too, but you can stay in less busy parts of Paros unless you want the buzz of Parikia or Naoussa. Aliki would be a good place to stay if you want a quieter location. It has good sandy beaches, and being at the south of the island is sheltered from the strong northerly winds. Other locations to consider are Piso Livadi and Drios on the east coast of Paros.

if you don’t mind the crowds consider staying on Antiparos. you can walk everywhere around town, and there are some secluded beaches at the south of the island, including Soros, near where Tom Hanks has his villa. You might even see him in town, because he comes every July or August.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 08:27 AM

Agree with Heimdall about everything .. Tho I'm one of those Naxophiles, I nearly always enjoy it in late May-early Jun, when it's just pleasantly populated. Alas, for High Season, the word has spread and July-Aug ... too much. I think Aliki would be a good choice on Paros, reachable to port town for sightseeing, but less crowded (& beachis better than Parakia)... I love Antiparos, but as nondriver couldn't get easily to the more secluded beaches, however, I'm sure the evening hours along the "agora lane" will still be magical.

One question to ask, since you are looking almost a full year away -- is there a pressing reason that you must choose July-August? Are either of you schoolteachers?? Otherwise, you could choose early June or early to mid-September and hae lovely weather & avoid those crowds. Even if you ARE teachers, if you plan ahead & pack ahead, you could say bye-bye to classes as late as June 12-15, then jump on a plane the very next day... and be early enough to avoid the high summer heat & crowds.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 08:28 AM

Consider Milos. It's a vibrant island with some spectacular coastlines. It's also less than an hour by ferry away from Sifnos.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelerjan View Post
Agree with Heimdall about everything .. Tho I'm one of those Naxophiles, I nearly always enjoy it in late May-early Jun, when it's just pleasantly populated. Alas, for High Season, the word has spread and July-Aug ... too much. I think Aliki would be a good choice on Paros, reachable to port town for sightseeing, but less crowded (& beachis better than Parakia)... I love Antiparos, but as nondriver couldn't get easily to the more secluded beaches, however, I'm sure the evening hours along the "agora lane" will still be magical.

One question to ask, since you are looking almost a full year away -- is there a pressing reason that you must choose July-August? Are either of you schoolteachers?? Otherwise, you could choose early June or early to mid-September and hae lovely weather & avoid those crowds. Even if you ARE teachers, if you plan ahead & pack ahead, you could say bye-bye to classes as late as June 12-15, then jump on a plane the very next day... and be early enough to avoid the high summer heat & crowds.
Our anniversary is in August and it’s also a dead period for work so we are able to get away for an extended period of time.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 12:24 PM

Yes, I was on Naxos in early October and it was a quite a number of years ago. At that time Naxos was lovely, pleasantly busy but certainly not crowded.

Sorry, I based my experience on October rather than August.

I have heard Naxos has become much more popular as people are looking for alternatives to Santorini/Mykonos.

If you were going off season then certainly Naxos would be a good option. However, August is high season so many islands and parts of the mainland will have tourists.

How about Milos which is right "next door" to Sifnos. It was very nice in October but again I can't say how it will be in August.

Other options could be Folegandros or Serifos?

Check out this website for islands you can get to from Sifnos, lots of options:

https://ferries.gtp.gr/greek-ferries...08/2021|11934|

Old Aug 30th, 2021, 01:54 PM

If you are looking for somewhere with a bit more nightlife than Sifnos, I think you should forget the smaller islands like Folegandros and Serifos. Maybe Aliki on Paros would be too quiet for you as well. Parikia and Naoussa are the two places on Paros with the most nightlife, but Naoussa might be a bit too much in August.

Back in 2015 the islanders of Antiparos made a 13 minute documentary about the island which appears on YouTube. I like to watch it every now and then, and you might enjoy it too:
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 03:01 PM

If I were you, I would celebrate my anniversary 2 months earlier and have a MUCH better time! (nd also save a TON of money... the price for lodgings & air far are very different between late may-early june, and August which is the PEAK of high season.. Aug 15, next to Easter, is THE biggest holiday of the year for Greeks -- and also the holday likeliest to cram-jam the islands, with Greeks along with others (for Easter, Greeks mainly go to home villages, not to islands). Perhaps take just a shorter holiday, but far more enjoyable than one in 40°C weather and huuuge crowds.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 01:24 AM

I agree with travelerjan, but I suppose celebrating your anniversary two months early wouldn’t be as meaningful.

May/June has other advantages besides cheaper prices: days are longer, and the islands are greener from winter rains. Be aware that some summer ferry connections don’t start running until around the second week of June. For instance, the Superjet/SeaJet 2 connection from Sifnos to Paros, Mykonos and Naxos we discussed on earlier posts began running on June 11th this year. Before that, Sifnos to Paros ferries ran only once or twice a week with the conventional ferry Artemis.

Mid June is a great time for the Cyclades islands, but before that the weather is a little unsettled and sea temperatures cold. Even in mid June sea water is still too cool for some people. My favourite time for the islands is late August and early September. Some hoteliers start lowering prices from the 20th of August when Greek vacationers begin to return home after the important August 15th national holiday. By the second week of September nearly all hotel rooms on the islands are cheaper. Another bonus is that sea temperatures are the warmest of any time of the year, and beaches are uncrowded with families having left for the start of the school year.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelerjan View Post
If I were you, I would celebrate my anniversary 2 months earlier and have a MUCH better time! (nd also save a TON of money... the price for lodgings & air far are very different between late may-early june, and August which is the PEAK of high season.. Aug 15, next to Easter, is THE biggest holiday of the year for Greeks -- and also the holday likeliest to cram-jam the islands, with Greeks along with others (for Easter, Greeks mainly go to home villages, not to islands). Perhaps take just a shorter holiday, but far more enjoyable than one in 40°C weather and huuuge crowds.
Yeah unfortunately August is the only time we are able to get away for extended periods. Its a quiet season at work for my wife so its all that works for us. If it helps, we would actually be there at the very end of the month.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 10:07 AM

If it helps, we would actually be there at the very end of the month.
Yes, that definitely helps! End of August is the best time to visit the Greek Islands, IMO, and I have been there in May, June, July, August and September in more than 20 different trips. If I could I’d be there right now. See what I wrote in the third paragraph of post #10.

Last edited by Heimdall; Aug 31st, 2021 at 10:30 AM.