Athens, Santorini, Sifnos and ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to suggestions from my previous post. Now I need more help!

The thought is to arrive in Athens and spend a day and night before heading to the islands. We will have 2 weeks from arrival, so the thought is to split the first week between Santorini and Sifnos or Mykonos and then perhaps rent a place in Crete for the 2nd week.

Any comments on this are welcome and appreciated.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 02:33 AM

Either Sifnos or Mykonos would be a good choice, depending on what sort of island you are looking for.

Sifnos would be a good contrast from the more commercialized Mykonos and Santorini, but ferry connections to Santorini are less frequent.

Mykonos has one major advantage, IMO: easy access to the wonderful archaeological site on nearby Delos.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:11 AM

hazard, as a hint, please give the date of travel when you post, so that advice can be appropriate. I had to search under your "handle" to find out it was June.

I also note that previous thoughtful posts asked what your interests were ... hiking, ruins, beaches or nightlife, shopping etc. Your answer would help us to advise you which island to choose. You did not answer, giving us any insight to your interests.

You may be a 20-something couple eager to dance the night away, or a somewhat older pair more interested in smaller villages, vistas, walks, cuisine etc.

The more you can tell us, the better the informed advice will be.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:06 AM

To maximize your time, I'd suggest connecting straight through Athens to your first island destination.Then overnight in Athens on your way home.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Travelerjan, we are a family of 4. The "kids" are 15 and 19. Hoping to be in the islands in mid-June for 2 weeks.

The hubby and son like diving, the daughter and I like to snorkle. We picked Greece for the food and the scenery.

Typically, our vactions have been to historical locations with plenty of sight-seeing followed by a weekly rental in a picturesque locale for rest, good food and peace and quiet.

Not big shoppers, not big partiers (thought the 19-year-old might disagree).
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM

For diving and snorkling, check out this website: http://www.blueisland-divers.gr/. Antiparos has good snorkling from the beaches around town as well.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM

Now that you've come clean about who "we" are and what We Like, the way is clearer!

Because of how the ferries work, I would suggest you reverse the order of your islands. That is, I say immediately on arrival, you walk across the hall and get an Aegean Air flight to Crete...Chania for preference. Plenty of history & sightseeing there. Rent a car and go to the South Coast maybe for the snorkeling/diving. Snorkeling is done widely but diving is only allowed at specifid Diving Centers (due to the crooks who loot the many underwater artifacts.

After at least 4-5 days there (Crete isn't just an isle, it's a COUNTRY!), take a ferry to Santorini. THe dig there is closed, and you won't like the beaches, but the views are grand. Two days is enough, in my humble opinion, except for honeymooners. Your 19-year-old can do the partying here.

How long you stay depends on WHEN a ferry goes to Sifnos (You may have to take a ferry to Milos, and switch to the Milos-Sifnos-Serifos daily run).

Now Sifnos is the place to rent for peace & quiet, lovely beaches, wonderful flagstone paths that meander all over the island (until 1950 they were the ONLY links between villages). Good food too.

Reason I suggest this sequence is that it's your best chance to get to Sifnos. And going back to Athens, you can get that daily ferry run mentioned above. Do your athens sight-seeing at the end -- once you've been immerse in Greece awhile, the sites of Athens mean much more. And it gives you a bit of cushion, in case there's some delay here or there.

Take a good look at a good map and you'll see what I mean. Also get to know the ferry websites -- they are essential.

As Brotherleelove patiently explains on this board over & over, actual ferry schedules for 2007 are only posted a couple of months ahead of time. However you CAN get a good idea of probable scheduling by going to the Open Seas.gr website. In the "Search for a Trip" box there's a little calendar to enlarge. When you click on its LEFT arrow, Time Reels BACKWARD a month at a time -- until you get to June 2006. You put in your departure port and arrival port, and a date. Let's say you want to go from Santorini to Sifnos on the third Friday of 2007. Find what date was the third FRiday in 2006, and click on that -- and see if a ferry usually runs to Sifnos on a Friday. if not, try Thurs or Sat. You see?

Yes it's tedious, but something worthwhile -- like getting to a beautiful place -- requires some effort and time to research. That's what we do, here on Fodor's. Join the quest!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to Heimdall and Travelerjan. Antiparos for diving looks gorgeous -- wish I liked diving better!

Travelerjan, the reason I thought of renting in Crete was that there are so many places available. I haven't found a good online source for villa rentals in Sifnos. Do you know of any?

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Google is your friend. I just popped "Sifnos Villa RentalS" into the slot and a page-ful of links popped up.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to Heimdall's response, the hubby is now more interested in Antiparos than Sifnos. Any comments on the pros/cons of Sifnose vs Antiparos?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:24 AM

Hazardnc, everyone who writes on this board has a favorite, so it's hard to get a totally impartial view. Antiparos is where I go every year, and frankly I'm not eager to spoil the quiet, laidback atmosphere by encouraging more visitors, but here goes:

Antiparos is the smaller neighbor of Paros, separated by a narrow channel with a half-hourly car ferry that takes 10 min to cross between the two islands. There is also a 30 min excursion boat during high season between Parikia, the main port, and Antiparos.

Most of the development on Antiparos is concentrated in one small village, with about half a dozen beaches within walking distance of the hotels. The main street is pedestrian-only, leading from the harbor to the old castle at the main square. Strung along the street are tavernas and cafes with outside tables, so you can have a drink or meal while watching the world go by. Don't tell your husband that there are many shops selling clothing and handmade jewelry on Antiparos.

You can actually see Sifnos from Antiparos, but the only way to get between the two is by a twice per week ferry from Paros. I've heard many good reports on Sifnos, but haven't visited there yet. Sifnos is on the western Cyclades ferry route, and connections between it and Santorini aren't as good as from Paros/Antiparos. I plan to try the route at the end of May this year either to or from Santorini, so may stop at Sifnos or Milos.

To help you decide, go on an amateur website: http://www.islandstrolling.com/. Jan is a Norwegian who has been going to the Greek Islands for many years. He includes both Antiparos and Sifnos, and has some wonderful photos.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

"everyone who writes on this board has a favorite, so it's hard to get a totally impartial view."

That's what I told my husband! Ah to be free to travel for months on end and visit every island in the Greek Isles.

Since you have frequented Antiparos, can you suggest a hotel for a family of 4? We prefer 3-star and are qilling to pay up to $150 per room per night.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I stayed a week in "Adonis windmill" (2 bedrooms) in Antiparos, 1-2 km out of town. It was very special.
h.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Hazardnc, one hotel I could suggest is Artemis, which is right on the harbor, but at the quiet end. You can find others on http://www.antiparos-isl.gr/ (click the British flag at top-left of page). You might also consider an apartment, but don't book anything on the Agios Georgios or Soros end of the island unless you intend to rent a car.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM

we are renting a lovely house on Sifnos, unfortunately the same week in June you are traveling there. I found it on vacation rental by owners www.vrbo.com. There is also a website called www.vacationrentals.com which has rental properties advertised by owners. We are using the travel agency on Sifnos that Matt Barrett recommends on his website Aegean Thesaurus and they also have villas on Sifnos that they know about for rent. Both Sifnos and Milos where we are going after our week on Sifnos for a few days are supposed to be wonderful. Barbara at Aegean Thesaurus told me it is difficult to make a ferry trip to Santorini from the western cyclades like Sifnos and Milos since the schedule is very irregular.