Athens, Santorini and Naxos

Mar 24th, 2001, 02:54 AM
cathy

Athens, Santorini and Naxos

I am planning to travel to Greece in June. Here are my thought so far and I still need lots of help. I would like to spend 2-3 days in Athens. I am not sure if I should do this at the beginning or end of the trip. I can only be gone for 11 days and 2 of those days will be spent in a plane getting there. Hotels that I am considerin in Athens are HOTEL ATTALO or ACROPOLIS VIEW. Any thoughts on either of these? Any suggestions for special views to request? we are also planning on going to Santorini for 3 nights. I was going to blow the budget and stay at the ATLANTIS VILLAS. Any thoughts on if it is worh it? Any special requests that I should make? We also wanted to go to Naxos. Any thoughts on were to stay? Also can you make a trip to Delos from Naxos?

I still have a lot of questions and would love any help. Thank you in advance!

Cathy

Mar 24th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Susan

There was another posting recently about whether or not to stay in Athens at beginning or end of vacation. I think end is better. For one thing, you probably want to be in Athens a day before your return flight (just to make sure you don't miss it). So you have to spend a night in Athens at the end anyway. We decided to spend 2 nights at the end and no time at the beginning. Like several others on this forum, we stayed at the Attalos. It's a good basic hotel - great location, right near the Plaka. The rooms are fairly modest, the bathrooms small, but the price is good. We had a balcony from which you could see the Acropolis, so that was cool.

I like Naxos much better than Santorini - but I know lots of people love Santorini. We stayed at the Hotel Grotta in Naxos. It's on a cliff more or less in town. Room was pleasant, rates were good (they have a website) and the location was great. I think we had 3 or 4 nights there. We rented a car and explored a lot of the island. Also explored the main town - it's really a great place to stay.

I'm sure others will comment on your hotel choices in Santorini.

Mar 26th, 2001, 05:05 AM
mikki

Hi Cathy,
I stayed at the Atlantis Villas in Oia, Santorini last summer. The room was huge and the views were great. We had a huge private terrace. The pool area was nice also. If you only have 3 days on Santorini, you will be happy there. You will probably want to rent a car for a day or two. Drive to Akrotiri, the beaches on the east coast, and just take in the countryside. We also enjoyed the boat trip to the springs and volcano...be prepared it will be hot. Don't miss the donkey ride back to Oia!

Mar 26th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Thyra

Hi Cathy,
This past October my husband and I spent 3 nights at the Attalos, (Before our trip) and 2 nights at the Acropolis view (At the end of the trip)here some positive and negative comments, though we liked both hotels just fine.
1) Attalos: This has a better location then the Acropolis View, it's only a block away from the plaka and lots of restaurants and shops. The staff is extremely nice and the rooms, though not fancy by a long shot, are clean and comfortable. We requested a room with a view of the Acropolis and got one, however if you weren't staring directly at the Acropolis the view is pretty blah. The prices were excellent and we enjoyed meeting friends at the rooftop bar for drinks and we spent one night watching a lightening storm over the Acropolis, outstanding.
2) Acropolis view has nicer decor all over and true to it's name we had an outstanding view of the Acropolis which dominated our window... I didn't request a room with a view so I would venture to guess that the majority of rooms have a view. This hotel was slightly more expensive then the Attalos and the decor reflected that. Staff at this hotel was also very friendly, however the neighborhood didn't have a lot to recommend it (we spent over an hour on our last night trying to find a restaurant within walking distance) you CAN get to the Plaka from this hotel but you have to walk around the Acropolis Hill.
In short, I would stay at either place again since everything was acceptable. However if you are short on time, I would choose the Attalos, though the decor isn't anything to write home about, but it does have a better location.

Mar 27th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Cathy

Thank you Susan, Mikki and Thrya! You comments have helped me get closer to booking our plans. Right now I think we will go straight to Santorini and stay for at least 3 nights. I wanted to then go to Naxos with a trip to Delos. After this return back to Athens for 3 nights and stay at the Hotel Attalo where we will request a view of the Acropolis. Any other request I should make at the hotel in Athens or Santorini? What about Naxos?

Thank you for the help!

Mar 27th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Tom Ward

Today I booked three nights at a hotel in Oia, Santorini for mid May. I got their last room. ACT FAST. Things Are Booking Up. Several other places I called were Full up. This particular hotel wanted a 30% Deposit payable with cashiers check in dollars or drachmas sent by registered mail. Then I must fax a copy of the check the same day I mail it. They wouldn't take a credit card to hold the room. The balance can be paid by credit card on arrival but they give a 10% discount for cash. This may be standard operating procedure on the island. Or maybe not. But I wouldn't hesitate if you have any particular ideas about where you want to stay. Good luck.

Search this Thread