Athens plan

May 28th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Athens plan

Thanks for all of your input. We now have a plan. Although our first day in Europe, we are getting up early. We plan to be at the Acropolis by 8:30. We will leave the port to walk to the metro. We make take a bus to the metro if that makes more sense. Off to the Acropolis: Acropolis, Odeon of Herodes, Theater of Dionysis in that order. Does anyone have an idea about how long that will take? We are a group of 6 and I want everyone to have an idea of what they are getting into if they tag along with us.

Will we have time to meander a bit and then back to the ship to enjoy some time at the pool before we leave at 6PM? Hopefully, there's time in there for a nap too.

How long will it take to get to the Acropolis from the metro? Anyone know the schedule in the morning? If we take a bus, in the AM where can you can the all day passes that I've read about near the port?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I always get such good answers at this site.
Thanks

May 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 31st, 2007, 01:35 PM

I believe the Acropolis opens at 7:30am and I certainly agree with the guidebook suggestions to arrive early. We left our hotel at 7:40am and walked up to the enterance ... kind of meandering around and was there at 8:00 am .. bought our tickets and went in. Do the Parthenon and Acropolis sites first before the tour groups and hordes of tourist show up. Take your photos .. in the morning the sun will be shining on the east side, there is a nice marble bench to sit and have someone take your picture together. So be quick on snapping your shots because before you know it .. the place will be full of tourists. The Acropolis museum is small .. try to time your visit there between tour groups. After your visit, get a smoothie from the overpriced vendor .. it's worth it. Don't miss the rock outcrop overlooking Athens and then take your time going through the other sites. We crashed at our hotel around 2pm .. the heat takes alot out of you .. but if you only have 1 day in Athens -- the Acropolis is simply the best of dignity and beauty -- even if it get's a little crowded.
Jun 1st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Miss Maple...your description has me even more excited than I already was. We leave Monday and will be at the Acropolis on Wed. I can't wait!!! That smoothie sounds too good right now.

Jul 19th, 2007, 04:12 AM

I'm arriving in Athens next Sat around 11am (and unfortunately-- departing the next day at noon)... I've heard the midday crowds at the Acropolis are bad, and that it would be best to arrive late in the day, but that it closes at 4:30pm ??I'm staying at the Grande Bretagne (cheap corp rate of e 220) and my plan was to check in, then walk around either Plaka or Monastriraki as I stroll over to the Acropolis (arriving around 4). Then walk back to my hotel, wash up and perhaps head over to Psirri in the evening. And then back to hotel for a drink on the terrace with a view of the Acropolis. Next day (Sun) get up early, walk around a bit more then head out to the airport.
My questions are:
1) Can I get tickets to the Acropolis ahead of time (in the US?? from my hotel??)
2) Will the crowds be less around 4pm?
3) I know it will be hot, but heat doesn't really bother me-- and I'm travelling solo and love to walk...But how are the distances between areas?
4) As a woman travelling solo, I assume I'll be ok walking around and in bars etc?? (or not??).
5) I've read there is only one entrance to the Acropolis--where exactly is it ? (with limited time, I don't want to walk around the base searching for the main door).

I realize it is a very short period of time, and I wasn't planingon spending any more than an hour or so at the Acropolis-- sorry, don't blast me, but I'm not the biggest history person.

Thanks for any help!
Jul 19th, 2007, 04:36 AM

Hi

If it helps, we entered the Acropolis site at the Agora entrance, near the flea market. No queuing. If you are coming from the port by metro get off at the Monastiraki stop. Short stroll from there.
Jul 19th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Thank you. I'll be coming from my hotel. But I have one more question. From looking at maps I see some are printed in greek lettering and some in english. What about the street signs ? Should I have my hotel print out their address or other places I want to go in Greek ?