Search

1 day in athens

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 day in athens

Please give me a one day itinerary for one day in Athens.
Thanks,
Ron
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM

Explore the Acropolis and Parthenon, go to the National Archaeological Museum, have lunch, relax, then go back to the Plaka for shopping. Check out the Central Market on Athinas Street between Omonia Square and the Monastiraki Metro Station. Go to the top of Lycabettus Hill at sunset for a drink and for the view of Athens. Back to the Plaka for a nice dinner and some people-watching.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:15 PM

Bookmarking, thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM

I second this itinerary. My family lives in Greece and every time i go I take people to do this exact thing!!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 07:19 AM

That sounds like a good plan, but I have another suggestion that focuses more on the ancient sites rather than shopping and museums.

I visited Athens two weeks ago, and we had only one full day. We were interested in seeing as much of the ancient sites as possible in that one day and did a pretty good job of packing them in.

In the morning, we did the Rick Steves self-guided walking tour of Syntagma Square and the Plaka. Love him or hate him, this walk provides lots of detailed info of the sights along the way (we took turns playing tour guide as we read to each other).

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...ens.htm#glance

Along the way, we detoured to visit Hadrian's Arch and the Temple of Zeus, and had lunch in the Plaka.

The walk ends at the Ancient Agora, which we then explored, visiting the Stoa of Attalos and the Temple of Hephaestus. From the Temple of Hephaestus, it's an easy walk up "the back way" to the Acropolis, which we toured at our leisure for a couple of hours (fewer people in the late afternoon, so it was lovely).

We were then "shooed" off the Acropolis at 5:30 (it closes earlier in May, despite the guidebooks telling us 7:30). From there, I agree with brotherleelove: head up to Lycabettus Hill for a drink and a fabulous view of Athens at sunset, then end with dinner and a stroll in the Plaka.

Unfortunately, we didn't see the Natl Arch. Museum, but it was a lovely day and we chose to visit the ancient sites instead. I don't regret that choice b/c I really enjoyed the Ancient Agora, Temple of Zeus and Hadrian's Arch.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Where did you eat dinner at the Plaka? Mind if I ask, what did you eat? What was the cost? Also, where do you go for drinks up the "hill." At a last minute trip, we're leaving on Sun, and we are really need some help.