Athens Plaka to suburb transportation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of five trying to go for the afternoon to The American School at 129 Agias Paraskevis, Halandri as well as 35 Frynis or Frienis, Kaffisia. (hopefully these addresses are still accurate - my husband lived here is a child. Our understanding is it is approx. 7 mi north of Athens).
I have looked into renting a car, but it is insanely expensive for a few hours so I am wondering if there are any transport alternatives that might be less stressful than driving and less expensive. Are there too many of us to hire a taxi? Anyone aware of a tour guide that may show us around out that way?
We will be there July 1-3rd. Looking at going to these addresses either the 2nd or 3rd.

Thanks so much!
Suzbrownie
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM

Taxis will only take 4 people, so you'd need 2... and that would be very expensive. You probably won't get directions from Fodor's Greece Forum because it has very few contributors who live or work in Athens -- you might have better luck if you query Trip Advisor Greece Forum, where there are a number of Athenian participants.

However, the best strategy of all is --- just use Google!! Did you consider that?? I just now put in "American School Halandri Athens" and Guess what?!?!? Here's the "Official Website" --
http://www.acs.gr/ -- including, under "Admissions" a category called "DIRECTIONS to ACS" http://www.acs.gr/directions-to-acs/ ... apparently you can take the Blue Line Metro toward the airport, get off &change, and you will land right in front of the School Gate. What could be simpler.

Furthermore, if your husband wants to reconnect with old friends even before he visits the school, there is also a VERY active website http://www.acsgreece.com/ -- called "The Official Unofficial Website of American Community Schools of Athens Greece" including a super-active listing of alumni events & websites, and a big CONTACT US.

Who needs a tour guide when there is Google. It is always my first stop when I have a query like yours.

Have a lovely visit!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we knew the school was still there - I was referring to his home. At any rate, thanks for the bus line info. We thought it would be great fun to hire someone to take us out there and show us around and get to visit with a local all the while! I'll see what I can come up with some tips on Trip Advisor.

Hope you had a lovely trip with your group.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 02:26 PM

For the American school just take the blue line from Syntagma Square or Monastiraki and get off at Agia Paraskevi station, and you will be directly on Agias Paraskevis street, all you have to do is search for number 129. ( it will take aprx 30 min)
As for the second address can you recheck the spelling please?
Cannot locate Frynis street in Kifissia..
To get to Kifissia you'll need to take the old green line either from Monastiraki Square or Omonia Square, and get off at the endstation..which is Kifissia. From there you could take a taxi if the street is not in walking distance, but you might also walk, Kifissia is an upscale northern suburb of Athens with great old houses, and many cafes and restaurants.
If you 'll find the correct spelling i might be able to locate the street for you.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Does this help any? #35 Nea Erythrea Odos Frynis. This is all the information we can come up with from parents who's memories are fading a bit : ( They argue about the way Frynis is spelled, thus the two spellings - and it sounds like it's neither after all.

Thanks for your efforts!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Tour Guides to be licensed must study for y ears and pass very stiff tests, and they charge several hundred dollars for a few hours guiding you around ancient sites ... so they are not a good answer to just help you find an address in the suburbs... such a guide probably would cost you more than hiring a limo with a driver.

How about e-mailing that alumni contact name I mentioned and asking HIM about the street in Kifissia?? Old school ties & all that, he'd probably do his bst to help!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM

OK found it, it is not in Kifissia, as you initially wrote, but in Nea Erythraia, which is another ( neighbouring) municipality.
My instructions don't change, take the green line till Kifissia, there are a lot of taxis infront of the station, Frynis street is not in walking distance, you should pay max. 5 euro for a taxi.
You could also take a local bus, but this would be quite complicated, so i would recommend taking a taxi .
The adress in Greek would be : ΦΡΥΝΗΣ 35 - ΝΕΑ ΕΡΥΘΡΑΙΑ
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU, Clausar! You've been most helpful. We will find our way and have a fun adventure.

Regards!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Can you clarify for me if these two destinations (school and house) are in different directions? My husband's family remembers them being close, however that was thirty plus years ago so is it too much to try to do both in one afternoon?
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 11:11 PM

They are not exactly in the same direction, even though both locations are in the north of Athens. Distance between the two points is ca. 12 km.
You should visit the american school first, and then go back to the metro station and take the blue line again.
You will get off at Doukissis Plakentias station and take the suburban railway getting off at Nerantziotissa station.
There you will take the green line to Kifissia.
Travel time in total : 30 min
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM

That is terrific information! I would just add, if you get confused ... ask ask ask. Particularly ask people under 25, as the chances are their English is good enough to help you.

Also, when you get off at Kifissia, since there are 5 of you, remember you will have to take TWO taxis... they are not allowed to have an adult hold the 5th passenger, even a pre-schooler in the lap in back seat, because it negates their insurance.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!