Search

Athens, Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens, Greece

Any suggestions, recommendations for tours, sites, restaurants, galleries, museums, in the city of Athens. Hoping to go first week of Sept.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nanabee; You will get plenty of suggestions for questions asked.

But have you booked a hotel?
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 06:16 AM

I'm beginning to compile information for a trip to Greece next spring (hope it works out and I get to go). There's lots of information on this board if you search for it. Here are some threads to get you going.

Many guide books put sightseeing information on their web sites. The most informative sites for Athens are Fodors and Frommers with Let's Go in third place. Lonely planet doesn't have much on their site. You can read and copy to a Word file. Fodors highlights their suggested top sights and hotels.

Since I've already compiled Athens information I would be happy to share my 60 pages. Click on my name for my email address.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...y-461862-2.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ase-advise.cfm
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 06:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In addition to the Acropolis, Acropolis Museum, and Agora down tne hill etc you should visit the National Archeology Museum and the Benake Museum. Visit the 1896 modern Olympic stadium on the other side of the National Gardens. See Hadrian's Arch.
Go to the Sunday flea/ antiques market in Monasteraki and have lunch in one of cafes that overlook the market. It's quite a happening.
September will be warm and crowded so be prepared.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 07:01 AM

Here are some very useful websites :

The official Athens website :

http://www.breathtakingathens.com/

The official website of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture
with all monuments, Museums, and archaeological sites of Greece
( search for Athens)

http://odysseus.culture.gr/index_en.html

A fantastic website with a virtual tour of Athens :

http://www.greecevirtual.gr/panorami.../hrodio_enter/

( Google's Street View was not allowed to take pictures in Athens )
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 07:06 AM

As for Museums, there will be free entrance to 4 of the Benaki Museum buildings every Thursday, from 15/7/13 and for one year.

Most people know the Benaki Museum opposite the National Garden, but there are more buildings that are worth a visit.

http://www.benaki.gr/index.asp?lang=en
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 07:32 AM

There are plenty of resources for sights to see in Athens, so I won't add my comments on them. My suggestion would be to get away from the tourist trail at least part of the time to see where Athenians shop, dine, and go out for entertainment. It will give you a whole different perspective of Athens. Clausar will be able to help you with that more than me.

If you want a slightly different tour experience, try the food tour operated by http://www.athens-walks.com. Kostas, the owner, is a former Evzone (presidential guard) and his tour guides are Athenians with an intimate knowledge of the city.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

O&B Athens Boutique Hotel
7 Leokoriou Street, Athens, Attiki 10554 Greece

Thank you everyone for such great advice.
The above is the hotel my husband has narrowed it down to. We have not booked it yet.

We are still in the very early stages as you can tell.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

ttt on the hotel advice?
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 01:52 PM

This is a good hotel, next to Monastiraki, Thisseion, and Gazi..
I think it's a good choice.
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

So glad to hear that clausar! We weren't sure - but it seemed to have good reviews. Thanks!

Is there one or two islands close to Athens that would make a short ferry or boat ride over for a weekend getaway.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 07:03 AM

Islands that can be easily reached from Athens are :

Aegina, Angistri, Hydra, Spetses and Poros.

Hydra is the most spectacular, no cars are allowed there.

There is also a one day cruise to 3 islands ( Aegina, Hydra and Poros usually), i wouldn't recommend it though, unless you only have 1 day at disposal.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 07:19 AM

<A weekend getaway> Mykonos is only a 35 minute flight. Would make for a lovely weekend.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 07:45 AM

All Greek islands with an airport can be reached within a 50 minutes flight.....
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

This information has been so helpful - thanks so much!!

Just got a Greece travel book (Fodors!) from DD & SIL and since it's current can't wait to check on recommended islands.

the hotel got great reviews in fodor's - so that's a good thing!
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loads of info on Athens:

http://www.athensguide.com/

I'd add the Museum of Cycladic Art and the Folk Art Museum to the list, and don't miss sunset at the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion.

Definitely Hydra rather than Spetses. How much time do you have? There are plenty of good sights on the mainland, too.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

We are gradually forming an itinerary. We have about 14 days. So far we'd like to see the following - Athens, Hydra, Delphi.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 05:26 AM

www.inyourpocket.com/greece
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

I've not heard anything to indicate Greece is not generally safe but another thread (about scams against tourists) got me thinking about safety. I've never been to Greece. Are there any areas or scams that we should be aware of?
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 10:42 PM

Hi nanabee,

Athens (and Greece in general) is as safe as anywhere in Europe, and much safer than most cities in the US. There is a problem with pickpocketing, especially on the metro and around bus stops. This isn't really a safety issue, as the pickpockets are so good you don't even know it's happening. You can avoid being a victim by not carrying wallets in pockets and keeping an eye on your belongings. A money belt is a good idea.

This summer there have been demonstrations in several European cities, but Athens has been very quiet. Greece has a tradition of peaceful protest, especially at Syntagma Square and around government buildings. Even when there is a large protest at Syntagma Square, a few blocks away in Plaka everything carries on normally. I usually stay near Syntagma Square, and have never even seen a demonstration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -