Athens - Hotel Attalos - Is area safe?

Jan 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Athens - Hotel Attalos - Is area safe?

I have seen here many positive comments from people who have stayed at this hotel. I am considering booking a couple nights for the wife and myself this September. I have seen reference to "some" prostitution and drug traffic on Athinas Street. I would appreciate any comments as to how safe people felt it was to be walking in the early evening or tips on areas to avoid.

I have also seen reference to a discount for Frommers readers (?). Can anyone comment on this.

Thank you
Larry
Jan 21st, 2007, 08:10 PM

I stayed at the Attalos a night alone while waiting for hubby to join me in Athens, coming in a day later than I... I felt absolutely safe. I walked alone into Psiri and the Plaka and came back alone around 9 or 10 at night. It's not the prettiest part of Athens and can look a bit rough, but I never felt that I was unsafe.... using common sense, of course.
Jan 21st, 2007, 08:10 PM

Athinas is a very long street. The Attalos is near the good end of the street. It is not as good for walking at night as the Plaka area and can feel quite deserted late at night but isn't unsafe as such. If your budget permits, I would consider something in the Plaka but failing that go with the Attalos.

Carolena
Jan 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM

Hi

I have stayed at the Attalos (September just gone) and the Cecil which is a few doors down. Absolutely no problems. Short stroll to the Plaka and the Monastiraki metro stop is 20 metres away.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM

I am not a big fan of the Attalos, but have never felt anything other than safe staying there. In fact, when I do stay there it is usually because I am by myself in Athens and want someplace where I feel comfortable to walk around by myself as a single woman, and which is easily accessible by public transportation.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:17 PM

We are booked for June so I cannot comment on that. However, when I e-mailed the hotel I said somthing like I am a Frommer's reader and would like the 10 discount. The response was no problem and they quoted me the rate less the 10 percent.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:52 PM

I made a reservation at the Attalos recently for September. I mentioned the Frommer's discount in my email to them and received it.
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their excellent input here. We have gone ahead and booked a couple nights here for our upcoming vacation.

Travginny
We did request and received confirmation of the Frommer's discount. Some coincidence here - we also are going to be there in September (27 & 28) and my wife's nickname is Ginny.

We did request consideration of receiving a room with a view of the Acropolis but the confirmation made no mention of it. I take this is a first come first serve thing as people check in???
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Hi Tog,

I'm glad you were able to get the discount. I also requested a room with a view of the A. but didn't get a confirmation for this. I'll be there on Sept. 26-27. I'll keep an eye out for the other Ginny!
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Hi again

Yes we too requested a room with a view of the Acropolis. And like you we received no confirmation for this. However when we arrived we were given a room at the rear of the building with a large balcony and a sideways view of the Acropolis. Despite the rest of the view being of unattractive roof tops and the outdoor furniture being rather "tired" we enjoyed our balcony time.
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I see that you have booked your stay at Attalos. However, I just wanted to add some feedback.
We stayed at Attalos for a couple of nights, and had no safety issues. Our issue was that we wanted more of a romantic vibe. Attalos is more of an economical choice. We moved to the Grand Bretagne for our last night - worth the splurge.