2 extra days in Venice or Rome?

Feb 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

2 extra days in Venice or Rome?

I'm considering adding a few extra days to my 10 day Italy tour (first time, so yep I'm taking a tour). I'm staying in Venice 3 nites first and then finish in Rome for 3 nites. If you could add 2 extra days, would you stay an extra nite in Venice & an extra nite in Rome? How about 2 extra nites in Rome. Since I'm already spending 3 nites in Venice, I wasn't sure if I should spend a fourth. I'm thinking for the price of airfare and the distance, 10 days doesn't seem long enough.
Feb 5th, 2007, 04:03 AM

I'd suggest an extra night in each - only you will know, after you've been to each, which you prefer.
Feb 5th, 2007, 04:08 AM

I would add two nights in Rome. And, I would start with Rome and finish with Venice, where you will be more relaxed.
Feb 5th, 2007, 04:46 AM
ira

Hi TT,

Very good plan.

Have you considered 2 nights in Florence?

If you don't want to visit F, I suggest adding one night to each.

Feb 5th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Hi

I would have added two more days in Rome My wife and I went there in July a couple of years back and there is a lot to see and do. Here is a trip report with some pictures and links: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . I have also made an interactive Google map that shows you where some of the attractions are located http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm . Click on the markers for more info. Hope this helps

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Feb 5th, 2007, 05:13 AM

I agree with two more nights in Rome. Personally, Venice is not my cup of capuccino

I love Rome!
Feb 5th, 2007, 05:30 AM

I love both Rome and Venice. It would be tough for me to pick, so I'd probably add one day to each. There's plenty to see and do in each city for 4 days.
Feb 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM
nbujic

ROME!
more to see and do.

Feb 5th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Certainly Rome has more to see and do than any other city I've ever visited, and you couldn't go wrong with a week in that wonderful city. But Venice has plenty for 4 days and more--I just posted this on another thread, but many people don't realize that Venize offers much more than the only Grand Canal and the sights on P. San Marco:

Some of the sights, sites, and activities in Venice:

Piazza San Marco, Basilica San Marco, Campanile, Palace of the Doges, Grand Canal on a vaporetto, Lagoon islands: (Murano, Burano, Torcello), San Michelle, Gondola yard. The Arsenal and the Naval Museum, Correr Museum, Accademia art museum, Peggy Guggenheim Gallery, numerous art shows and exhibits that are always running, The Ghetto. Another dozen or so specialty museums (Lace museum, Archaeological musuem, etc).

Too many churches to list with interesting and world-class art and architecture, but...Basilica Santa Mariadella Salute, Basilica dei Frari, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, San Sebastiano, San Pietro di Castello, Santo Giovanni E Paolo, Madonna dell'Orto. Venice's churches have some of Italy's greatest works of art--many free to view--by the likes of Tintoretto, Veronese, Titian, Bellini, Vivarini, and Carpaccio.

Scuola Grande di San Rocco, Scuola San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, Scuola San Nicolo, Scuola Grande Dei Carmini, Scuole Grande of San Rocco.

Campo Santa Maria Formosa, Ca’ Rezzonico museum, Querini-Stampalia palace/museum, San Giovanni Evangelista, Ponte di Rialto, Rialto market, Ca’ d’Oro, Ca' Pesaro museum, gondola tour of smaller, hidden canals. Opera and concerts at La Fenice and other venues. Walking away from the daytripping herds and discovering a quiet, secret city that most tourists have no clue exists--quiet campos with perhaps a restaurant or two and a couple of shops, and neighborhood children playing or couples strolling before dinner.

And don't forget the Lido of Venice beach resort in the summer.
Feb 5th, 2007, 05:51 AM

I'd add the time to Rome. After doing lots of research, I came up with a list of 27 churches that I really wanted to see. In 6 days, I didn't get to half of them. I always say that if I ever return to Rome, I'll hire a driver and spend two days being driven from church to church.
Feb 5th, 2007, 06:13 AM
nbujic

so many places in Italy ( Europe period)
have so many lovely churches, squares, one day trips, vistas, restaurants,galleries, museums etc
a few days most of us have to spend in each cannot possibly be enough, but....

Feb 5th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Id follow your instinct and add days to your trip - 10 days is short, two weeks would be about the minimum if you can deal.

Dont know where you are staying in between - I love both Venice and Rome but to me there is no question where to add your days if you must pick one or the other - Rome. Venice is much smaller, and contained - while rich, it's easier to get a handle on. There are so many more astounding layers to Rome, different historical periods, through Roman, Early Christian, medieval, Baroque - unless you are a Rick Steves style whirlwind tourist, you will find much more than 3 days worth of things you will want to do in Rome.

I do hope you are tasting some of the smaller places in between over the course of your 10 days.

In terms of where to start, either is magnificent. The entry into venice by water is magical, and the vehicle-less environment is extraordinary. Ive never forgotten my first experience of that 25 years ago (lately, we take the bus in from the airport or the train).

so my vote, given the constraints of your tour schedule (I dont know why you need a tour frankly but pass that)
is Rome.
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Since I've posted and continued to check airfare, it seems that it will cost at least $100 more to arrive in Venice on Saturday rather my original tour group Sunday. Also since Rome is my final stop, I could use the extra 2 days to either tour or just people watch in the piazza to wind down after the tour ends! The tour does cover 3 days in Florence too, that's the middle stop. One thing that I was unsure of was that I will be traveling solo which is fine with the tour. But with all the safety talk regarding Rome, I wasn't sure if being there solo after the tour ended was a good idea - especially being my first time there. However I have read many reports from people traveling solo who only go to Rome, so it should be ok (read money belt and keeping a heads up).

I had considered traveling to Amalfi at end of tour, but just will have to leave it for my next trip. You just have to keep in mind how you'll feel and not overwhelm so much that the trip becomes a chore instead of the joy it is suppose to be. I'm already planning my return to see Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento, Lake Como, Milan, etc, etc, etc!
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:47 AM

I would highly recommend adding days at each end of your tour if at all possible. We went on a "sort of" group tour visit to Italy a good 10 years ago. As set up, we would have had 2-1/2 days in Venice and 3 in Rome. We spent some extra money to add 2 days to each end of the trip, and have never regretted the expenditure.

Many people in the group ended up wishing they had done the same--some didn't even know it was possible to do it.

We lost the cost of our transfers and of course had to pay for extra hotel nights. And the airfare, like years, was a just a few bucks higher--but we've never regretted it.