Athens and Taxies

Search

Athens and Taxies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens and Taxies

Are Taxies readily available in Athens and is that a good way to get from The Acropolis to the museum? Can we expect honesty in the rates quoted?
Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM
P_M

Different people on this board have had different experiences with taxis in Athens. With one exception, none of my taxi experiences were good. When I visited Athens there was no metro, but if I were there today I would use that instead of taxis.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM

We found taxis were new vehicles, plentiful, and cheap.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:08 PM

My daughter and I were just in Athens two weeks ago and used some taxis to get around.I would say that 95% of the time we use the metro as it is easy,cheap and handy. We did use one taxi to get to the Acropolis from Monestreki(sp?) Square area and it was about 4 and a half euros which wasn't bad. However, at the top of the Acropolis parking area( where the buses are,sandwich shop,etc.) we grabbed a taxi for a ride down from the Acropolis. We were taken "for a ride". We got in at around 1130am and asked to be driven to the Arch.Museum. Driver takes off and responds that at that time of the day the fare is now 9 EUROS a km!!!! I ask to get out and he refuses but says that he will take me to the metro station. Time that elapsed-two minutes-fare was told to me to be 19 EUROS. I inform him that there is no way that I am going to be paying that as I know that the only special fare is during the late night/early morning hours according to all the guidebooks. He starts swearing at me and calls me every name in the book and then asks how much I "think I should pay". I throw him a 10 Euro note and told him that I will call the police if he doesn't like it. He continues screaming at me and daughter and I exit.I was so honked off about this because I travel to Europe everyweek and in general have usually had nice taxi people throughout Europe. My daughter said that I held my own with this guy and the only thing that I would have done differently is to be sure and get the cab number to report him to the Tourist Police.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM

I've ridden Athens taxis and have had good results, though the metro is very nice.

As with taxis in other parts of the world, it is good to ask the price before you get in.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Taxis can be 'interesting' in Athens.

They can pick up additional passengers while you are in the car!

Our weirdest anecdote about Athens involved what should have been a short taxi ride and ended up being a convoluted one with a Greek grannie plus parcel needing urgent delivery on board. And we ended up paying for the whole trip too...but it was such a funny experience we didn't care...
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Sshepherd-I travel to Europe everyweek and always ask the price before setting foot in the taxi. The deal about the taxi in Athens was he said one price but after we got in he "suddenly remembered" the special siesta time charge of 9 euros a km. Thats why I asked to get out immediately and he refused.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the help. I think we will try the Metro.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM

We walked to the museum... it took less than half an hour and is an easy, level walk. That's even less expensive than the metro ;-)
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 01:27 AM

You ask about getting from the Acropolis to 'the museum'. Which museum as Athens has many wonderful museums? The Cyclades museum, the Benaki museum, which in my opinion is one of the best in Europe that I have visited, I was there six hours one day, the Byzantine museum, the War museum, the Folk museum, the musical instrument museum and on and on. And the archeological museum. There is much more to Athens than the Acropolis and charging thru like a maniac for two days and going home and telling everyone you saw Athens. Oh yes, back to the question?
My only experience of being ripped off by a taxi driver was in Athens, they really are a pack of scoundrels, avoid them at all costs and use the metro or local buses which are fun to use, for instance take the local bus not an expensive tour to Cape Sounion and experience local life with the Athenians.
Duty free, I like your style but at 10 euros that was 5 euros too much. Let them swear and scream as much as they like but they know they are ripping the tourists off, it is a game to them.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:28 AM

A good advice whenever you take a taxi have change.
I guess you did everything right except 5 euros would have been enough.
Once in Athens we took a taxi from our hotel the Intercontinental, and I noticed he had not his meter working, when I told him so, he seemed outraged stopped the car in the middle of no where told us his car was broken and ask as to leave. Which I refused
till he found another taxi.
The taxi he found had another passanger but he took us and of course we paid for the whole trip but it was ok. with us, we were happy to change cars.