Athens and Crete

Oct 25th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Athens and Crete

Always such fabulous help on these message boards. OK, so here's the deal. Hubby and I (early 50's, recent empty nesters) have an invitation to stay at a home on Crete for a week in late Sept/early Oct in 08. I don't yet know the town where the house is located - sorry, trying to get that info but was itching for info as I read these boards. Been to Europe (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Great Britian) but never to the Mediterranean. In a way I'm glad we don't have to pick the island or I would be in trouble. I understand from these boards that Crete is not as exclusive as some of the smaller islands, but we will have local guidance (a Belgian family who owns the home) on what to see and do. But it would be great to have some info from the knowledgeable on this board. Also wondering how long in Athens? Thinking 3 days. What else should we not miss while on our likely only trip to Greece? I hope weather is good that time of year; warm but not oppressive.
Oct 25th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Weather at that time of year is gorgeous. Do spend at least 3 days
in Athens. Many inexpensive hotels
in the Plaka area.
Crete has a plethora of antiquities
of which Knossos is the best known.
Oct 25th, 2007, 05:19 AM

It depends how much time you can add on to your week in Crete. I think it is a good idea to spend three days in Athens. I would also suggest a day trip (or, if you have a longer time, an overnight) to Delphi. If you can add another day or two, Olympia, Mycenae and Epidaurus.

I spent a few days in Athens and took a tour to the sites I listed above. You might be interested in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34589254

Photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-b9k6sz
Oct 25th, 2007, 06:12 AM

After your time in Athens, it's a great Getaway to zip over to Nafplio for 2-3 days. Lovely town-- so much culture, restaurants, history, architecture, fortresses, ramparts ... I love love love it.
Only caveat -- don't go on Friday or Sunday afternoons, because it's a fave Athenian weekend destination and traffic is heavy then.

Try Pension Eleni or Hotel Leto for fab view over the town. U can rent a car for 1 day & have a "ruin-a-thon" going to Mycenae, Tiryns, Epidaurus (with a dip in Epidaurus Bay to end the day--water in Sept is divine). Also Asine has a beach PLUS ruins..what a combo.

Here's a slide show from a Fodor's expert "stanbr" on delights of Nafplio; there's more at the end about other Pelopponese destinations but Nafplio alone is a feast.
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/551991579dJbWvh
PS: Easy to schedule because intercity bus (comfy, padded seats) goes hourly on half-hour 8 x a day, takes only 2.5 hours while you doze & admire the scenery.
Oct 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

OK, after reading responses and looking at these photos I can see that I have a lot to learn about Greece! I posted prematurely but am excited already thinking about this wonderful opportunity. Time to get to the bookstore, buy a guide book or two, and then post more specific questions. Thanks for sharing everyone!