Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had to choose between Crete and/or Rhodes or the Peloponnis which would be your choice? We LOVE history and the arts!! Beaches are okay and Im sure we will go but we already live at the beach. Id like to hear what you all say and places you would recommend! Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 01:31 AM

Tough decision.. Each place is unique. Rhodes is offering a lot of places like the Old Town, Lindos acropolis etc. On the other hand... Chania and Rethymnon are amazing! Crete has numerous historical places to visit like Knosos palace. I love both islands! I have never been in Peloponnis but i know there are great places as well.. How long are you planning to stay?
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 03:54 AM

What month?
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

I will arrive in Athens May 13 and leave from Athens june 2 2014. I have booked a ballet for May 13 and operetta for May 14. i have booked a room in Santorini May 17-May 2o- Other than that I have not made any plans- And really the only 2 days that I am truely "locked" in is May 13 and 14 Athens- I need HELP figuring all this out. We love the arts and history and religion and culture-beaches ok and want to see some BUT we also live at the beach in NC. I am traveling with my daughters ages 20 and 22 Thank you for any advice- 3 Weeks!!! BUT so very much to choose from!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM

You have good beaches in NC, but not much in the way of Greek antiquities. For your interests (arts and history and religion and culture) it seems to me you would be better off in the Peloponnese. Why travel all the way to Crete or Rhodes when there is more to see in the Argolis (Nafplio) area of the Peloponnese, only 3 hrs by road from Athens?
http://www.visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Home.html

If you hire a car you can travel around other parts of the Peloponnese and see even more.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much Heimdall!! Is Mykonos or Santorini worth going to?? They seem very expensive to get to and to stay. Any further recommendations?? Thanks so much!
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 07:45 PM

Can't go wrong with either. I go back and forth as to which is best. I think I would choose the Peloponesse.
Old Apr 17th, 2014, 10:52 PM

You have three weeks in Greece, so it would be possible to add a short visit to the islands even if you opt for the Peloponnese. Mykonos has one thing you won't find anywhere else — the nearby Delos archeological site. Santorini has the stunning caldera views you have no doubt seen in travel brochures and websites. The main archaeological sites on Santorini are Akrotiri and Ancient Thera. Whether it is worth the time and expense of getting there is up to you.

If you decide on Nafplio and rent a car there are enough other interesting places in the Peloponnese to fill your time. I haven't been to these places myself, but to name a couple are Monemvasia and Olympia. I have been to the southern Peloponnese where you can visit Ancient Messene and several beautiful seaside villages with Venetian castles. Although not on the Peloponnese, it would also be possible to visit Delphi without travelling too far out of your way.