Search

Ashford Castle

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Copper

Ashford Castle

Have you been to Ashford Castle? Is it really worth the time and expense? Is it as it appears in the brochures and on the website?

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:36 AM
XXX

We were married in Ashford Castle and it is just as it appears on the website. It really is a special place - not just because of the Castle itself - but also due to the staff who go out of their way to make your stay there memorable. We had a wonderful weekend there and I would highly recommend it. In terms of rates, there are considerable savings if you stay duering the Oct - Feb/March period.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:51 AM
DAVE

Stayed at Ashford during my honeymoon approx 12 years ago, and still have fond memories of the place.. It's definitely worth the stay, but the weather will determine whether or not you can take full advantage of the offerings......for example, the lakes will be of no use in November, etc....Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:12 AM
elaine

I disagree with the other replies (have a feeling both had deluxe rooms or suites). We stayed at Ashford Castle (8/'97) in a standard room and it was not worth the price. Our lst floor room was dusty, had torn wallcovering and the window screen was in need of repair. Upon our return home, I wrote a letter to Ashford's GM and he kindly sent a check and refunded our money. Perhaps these rooms have been refurbished. If booking 'standard' I would definitely make inquiry. <BR>The grounds, gardens and common rooms are spectacular!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:59 AM
mikey

Elaine, <BR> <BR>I would say from your experience that it only goes to show how good Ashford is! If you had written an airline or other hotel you would have only gotten a form letter back with maybe a small voucher usable towards your next trip. <BR> <BR>As for Ashford, the last time I stayed there I had a standard room and had no problems. The older section has more charm then the new building. The grounds and castle are wonderful and such so that I visit just to walk around and have drinks, lunch or dinner at one of the world class restaurants (small fee required to enter grounds) <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:17 AM
elaine

Mikey, <BR> <BR>I concur that Ashford is very well managed! When I wrote the letter I did not ask or expect to be sent a refund. <BR>And I agree with you, the grounds are beautiful. <BR>As I recall, our room was very expensive, priced 'per person' and of all the places we stayed in Ireland (some were pricey others were not), this was not our favorite accommodation. <BR>Dunraven Arms in Adare far exceeded our expectations - the rooms were fabulous as was the staff and the restaurant.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:42 AM
kam

I also like Dunraven Arms in Adare. In the castle type I like Dromoland and Ballynahinch (Connemara) better than Ashford. They are more informal and the staff seem more interested in your comfort than just trying to make everything perfect. The fact that you can't visit Ashford without staying there has always put me off, or have they changed that policy? It made me feel embarassed when we stayed there and excluded when we didn't.