Article on Val d'Orcia, some lodging, some restaurants, summer festas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From today's Los Angeles Times. For summer festas, see links below the maps.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...#axzz2w9JdTjTp
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, this is a laugh-out-loud line from that article:

"At the high end is CDB, as it's called, opened in 2010 by Chiara and Massimo Ferragamo of Italian footwear fame. It sits amid the ruins of a 12th century fortress and features 23 suites and nine restored farmhouse villas, each with its own pool, dotting the nearly 5,000-acre property. There's also a Tom Weiskopf-designed golf course, spa, winery, main restaurant and osteria, and a gorgeous original chapel with frescoes by Pietro Lorenzetti.
"One of the things I love about this area is that really everything looks and seems the same and unchanged since medieval times," said Massimo Ferragamo, reached by email in New York. "What you will not find are clubs, discos or night life, so if that is what one is looking for, this is not the place. It is a magical area where you can experience the true Tuscany."

Yes, those magical golfing Tuscans.

(Not to worry. The article also recommends lodging with New Yorkers who opened a high-end b&b for experiencing the true Tuscany.)
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 06:43 AM

I'm still trying to get my head around that article. A golf course with no mention of its private nature and cost? Castiglion del Bosco suites for $616 to $1000 a night! La Bandita townhouses for $267 to $952 a night in Pienza! Followed by a camping location for $22 a night. Even the photos were a puzzle as it identified a steep hill town as Pienza (it wasn't).
Not sure for who or what the article was written for but it was confusing blather.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 01:52 PM

I think it is easier to understand who the article was written for if you note that it was published in the LA times and that it closes by reassuring readers that they won't experience too much cultural shock in Tuscany they have already seen these landscapes in Hollywood movies.

Notice as well that the article begins with the travel writer apparently turning down an opportunity from a local winemaker to visit his winery. (No -- we are sticking with our plan to go to a celebrity destination.) Too funny -- or too sad.

By the way the plural of the word "festa" is "feste" (at least in Italian).
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 06:06 PM

Hi Jean, thanks for the link - just love that area...