LA FONTE agriturismo. Pienza. Tuscany.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been terribly remiss in not posting a trip report about this place. We were there in November 07.

http://www.lafonte.toscana.it/2006/i...a.it/2006/ita/

First, it's very easy to find. Lots of signs and right off the main road between Pienza and S. Quirico. The photos on the website do not do justice to the awesome vista overlooking rolling Tuscan hills and villas. Each apartment has an outside area where you can sit and enjoy the changing landscape as the sun climbs thru the sky. We also liked being able to park right next to the apartment.

We had the smallest unit (Pagliaio). 90 euros, double. The 3 rooms were plenty spacious. Large bed was very comfortable. Kitchen was adequate for light cooking. We just made coffee and reheated a few things. All very clean. The apartments provide nice privacy; we hardly ever saw anyone. The daughter speaks English but doesn't live there. She comes by to serve breakfast. Computer in the breakfast room. Correspondence was handled efficiently.

It's a working farm. All the farmers were trying to get their crop in. They worked late into the night---headlights beaming. We loved those old WWII surplus tractors and fell asleep to their soft drone.

I don't think the location could be any better. 5 minutes drive to Pienza. 10 to SQ. 20 at most to Montalcino. After a day's touring it was very easy to drop back by before dinner. I'll be happy to share photos if you want to post your email. I'm at jeannebab-AT-comcast-DOT-net.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:24 AM

Nice Jeanne !
The famed " cappela in the field" has to be very close. I have shots of that in 3 seasons.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Yes, maybe 3 or 4 km, but on the opposite side of SS146. (The farm is on the north side)

I suspect many people miss the amazing view we had from the farm because they would always be looking south to spot the chapel. Most days we could see all the way to Montalcino.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

<i>I have shots of that in 3 seasons.</i>

Ooooo. You just had to make me jealous, didn't you?!

I thought I might be disappointed being there when the fields were bare. But I think that may be the most beautiful season. Those deeply plowed (!) furrows provide so much contrast --- the landscape seems to change from minute to minute. The fall air was crisp and sharp, golden sunshine like I've seen only in California.

Olive were being harvested. Baby artichokes &amp; truffles. And lots of cinghiale dishes! I was in Heaven!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM

Thank you so much for this link and report. The place looks absolutely perfect!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

I must tell you the apt wasn't completely as charming as the photos (no straw hats and flowers!). Fairly basic. But you know how it is: once you bring in flowers and settle in, it becomes &quot;home&quot;. It was thoroughly comfortable. And, again, very clean.

Outside there were flowers galore, even in November. The dog and cat (Becchi and Torbo) will entertain you endlessly with their play fights, then they settle down to sleep all curled up together. Farther down the drive there are chickens, pigs, partridges, and a tone deaf rooster.

The pool is very nicely situated. Breakfast is served in the little building next to the pool or on the terrace above in nice weather. The view from there is to-die-for. Breakfast is simply laid out and you serve yourself. No one around unless you need them. It was all so private...we really appreciated that.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 01:48 PM

My sister is donating a kidney to her husband this year. If all goes well, we want to have a grand celebration in an exotic location. We may choose Alaska (because my brother-in-law loves to fish) but this also sounds perfect (since my brother-in-law also loves good food ).

In that case, we would probably look at taking over all or most of the accommodations at the agriturismo. I'm especially drawn to the location - proximity to Pienza and other Tuscan towns.

Anyway, just in the preliminary planning stages right now, but thanks for the information.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

LC:
Best wishes for the transplant.

If you do Tuscany, I'd be happy to share some of our favorites places with you.

J
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:12 PM

JeanneB - not sure if you're checking this forum right now, but I was interested in La Fonte.

Was the pool open in November? We'll be there October and weren't expecting a pool, but it would be nice.

Also, you said it was about 10 minutes to Montalcino? How about Montepulciano and Sienna?

Thank you so much - I'm new to agriturismos!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:37 AM

I hope you have a good map of Tuscany---location means everything.
Montepulciano is about :20, Siena is perhaps :40 from this location. Forget the pool that late in the season--I would worry more about heat in your unit.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Bob - any specific suggestions for an ideal location in that region?

We're sifting through the many agriturismos available, but it seems as though all of them are gorgeous with great reviews and low prices. If only I had the same problem in Paris and Venice.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Bob's answer is spot on. We chose La Fonte largely for its central location. It will likely be too cold for the pool.

There is indeed an abundance of riches when it come to agriturismos.

By the way, if you'll still be there on Nov 1st, look up my thread on the All Saints holiday. Tuscany was mobbed that weekend. Then everything closed for the winter a couple of days later.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Well, La Fonte above is a very good chocice--it really depends on your budget. I also like this place for good value:
www.poggiolo.info and this place which is a bit more:
www.santantonio.it
Here are some of my favs from that area--not all agriturismos:

BOB’S FAVORITE DIGS IN TUSCANY

Siena province is easily my favorite part of Tuscany. Here is a list of accommodations that I suggest. All prices assume a typical double room.

A. RURAL LOCATIONS: All have parking and good food options nearby

1. Relais La Saracina www.lasaracina.it 230 to 300E
Fabulous country home near Montepulciano—helpful owners

2. Le Traverse www.letraverse.it 155E
Small B&amp;B just south of Pienza—hard to beat at the price—has pool

3. Lucignanello Bandini www.piccolomini.it 150[2] to 244E[4]
These are apartments in a lovely but remote rural setting.

4. Hotel Pescille www.pescille.it Good value at a rustic hotel only 3 km from famed San Gimignano with great views---100 to 130E

5. Fattoria Tregole www.fattoria-tregole.com 110E to 180E
Has both B&amp;B and apartment accommodations. Near Castellina in Chianti

B. IN-TOWN LOCATIONS: For walking convenience to shops etc.

1. Palazzo del Capitano www.palazzodelcapitano.com 130 to 180E
Very nice small hotel in center of San Quirico—perfect location to explore.

2. Vecchia Oliviera www.tuscany.net/oliviera/ 130 to 180E
Nice 4 star hotel at the gate into lovely Montalcino---has pool.

3. Palazzina Cesari www.montalcinoitaly.com 80 to 110E
Lovely small B&amp;B in heart of Montalcino—great value—2 nite stay minimum.

4. Locanda di San Francesco www.locandasanfrancesco.it 180 to 200E
New boutique B&amp;B in a lovely location in Montepulciano—great reviews !

5. Palazzo Ravizza www.palazzoravizza.it 130 to 180E
Very nice &amp; popular hotel in Siena with parking.

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

BTW,
We took what we thought was a good map of Tuscany. It wasn't.

You want the Italian Touring Club Toscana map. You can order it on Amazon. Don't wait til you get there. We had to drive all the way into Siena to find one.

Happy planning!
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks again, JeanneB! I'd heard that we should wait to buy a map until we get there, but you're right.. I can absolutely see us driving around in circles trying to find a place that sells readable maps. Ordering now!
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

We drove around in lots of circles! Especially trying to park in Siena to go in and buy the map.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Loved reading all the responses about agri spots in Tuscany...there are so many. Have to share our favorite Rosa dei Venti, nestled in the hillside of the small area of Crete, close to Cortona. A family farm, 4 generations of Micheli family have lived and worked it. Newly renovated for comfort, family will prepare a meal ( even encourage you to help in the kitchen) The family, grounds and accomodations were all delighful. Loved the comfort of traveling out for day trips and returning in the evening for simple dinners we prepared for ourselves.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Hmmm ! I have never seeen Crete and Cortona in the same sentence---do they call that area Crete as well?
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have certainly heard the area of hills near Siena referred to as the Crete Senesi. I am not sure if they extend as far as Cortona, or if this is another area.

The word Crete in this context was pronounced as two syllables, rather than the English word for the Mediterranean island.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM

So much excellent information. JeanneB, I looked for the Italian Touring Club Toscana map on Amazon and they say it is out of print and did have any at this time. Any other ideas where to find one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -