Arsenal Football Jersey

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arsenal Football Jersey

We will be visiting London next week and my son is a huge fan of the Arsenal football team. He would like for me to buy him a jersey or T shirt with the team logo.

Can you tell me where I might find this?

Thanks! Laurie
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:23 PM

My hubby is also a huge Arsenal fan and dragged me all over London to get his. You can get one at alot of sports stores all over town. Or you can take the tube to their stadium and they have a store. I forget what tube stop...Finchley maybe...but you can ask and anyone in London should know. Expect to pay about $100 CDN for one. Good luck!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:23 PM

The easiest? The Arsenal Football Club official web site: http://shop.arsenal.com/arsenal/default.asp?mscssid=

In London? The stadium shop or the many licensed shops around town. Beware of the street vendors. The prices are good, but quality and authenticity is not.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:13 AM

Nike Town on Oxford Street (Oxford Circus Tube station) sells them, as they make the shirts. Lillywhites (a sports superstore) at Piccadilly Circus will sell them, most department stores will have a sports section that will sell them. Any sports shop will sell them.

Don't buy them from a street vendor - they will be fake.

Shirts are expensive, but there's plenty other merchandise if you can't bring yourself to spend 50 quid on a shirt. (We call the shirt a 'shirt', not a 'jersey' - just so you know if you have to ask in a shop). Make sure you get the red one as this is the home strip.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:31 AM
vnh

There's a big club shop at Finsbury Park Underground Station. It has, of course, the shirts and a service to have a name put on the back (either of one of the players or an individualised one) and they also have lots of other Arsenal things from pens, keyrings to more expensive watches.. well, everything really. It is much bigger than the actual stadium shop and has better opening hours and is attached to the station. If you do go there (there are three exits to Finsbury Park station) you should take the exit for Station Place and you can't miss it, but if you take a wrong exit,it isn't exactly far, just not as obvious! It's only about 10 minutes from Oxford Circus by tube.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:20 AM

What wonderful taste your son has!! I'm a a born and bred Gooner myself.

Go to Finsbury Park tube and take the main exit, the the Arsenal shop is next door on your left and you can get anything you want there. You can check out prices on the website but I recommend going to the shop for a browse - and maybe taking a walk to Highbury to take some photos (I assume that he's not going to be with you or I'd suggest a Stadium tour - I can give you full directions if you need). Bear in mind that 2005/6 will be the last season at Highbury before the move to Ashburton Grove (the new Emirates Stadium).

It's a shame that you won't be here after June 22nd as that's when next season's shirt will be launched. Although Arsenal play in red now, when they first moved to Highbury in 1913 they wore a 'redcurrant' colour - see

http://www.arsenal.com/splash_redcurrent_03062005.asp

- and they are going to wear that colour again only for the last season at the ground. You can order this on the internet but I'm not sure whether they will post internationally. However, if not, I am more than happy to get one for you and post it to you as this will be something of a landmark and for a true Gunner, a must have. I'm happy to meet you when you're over to arrange it or I'll let you have my email address.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:32 AM

Oh, and yes, as Kate says, to be authentic you should call it a 'shirt' rather than a 'jersey'!! I know it's petty but when in Rome...or Highbury!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies!

Tallulah, thanks so much for your very kind offer to get a "redcurrant" shirt.
I will look in some of the stores while we are in London, but I wasn't prepared to spend quite this much! $100 for a shirt is pretty pricey.

Still, my son was pretty excited when he saw your offer. It would make a great Christmas gift!

Thanks again for your offer! If I decide to take you up on it, I will post here again.
Laurie
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:37 AM

Would be delighted to do so. Either post here or you can get me at [email protected].

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:56 AM

I'm not sure if they are fake (who would know over here?) or real but these things are ALL OVER E-bay!!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:11 AM

I think the danger of buying on ebay is that you often get not just fake, but also out of date shirts. They redesign the kits every 1-2 seasons, and no self-respecting fan will be seen in an old shirt.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I beg to differ - there are many who think only the trendy "plastic" fans need to be in the most up to date shirts. I am a season ticket holder at my local club, and many fans wear older shirts.

My favourite type of shirt is the "retro replica" - usually good quality cotton versions of 1940's 1950's or 1960's shirts. look online at www.toffs.co.uk

Unfortunately, my 1950 replica is coincidently, the shirt worn by my team the last time they were any good
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:43 AM

Oh I think the old-fashioned shirts are great but I don't think that's the same as wearing, say in this instance, a shirt with Dreamcast/Sega as the sponsor (which was prior to O2). There's a big difference between a retro shirt and one a few years out of date.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:02 AM

As a Spurs fan I have to say that making your son wear a gooners shirt is akin to child abuse!

However in the interests of north london-south london bridge building I would point out that you can get just about anything Goon related at their superstore - which is just by finsbury Park tube (you could even take a detour to the death-star from there - they do tours I believe). Ask them for a video of all their European wins!

You can also get retro (ie 1930s type)shirts from TOFFS in Sportspages in Charing Cross Rd (Opposite Molly Moggs pub)

But really - please turn away from the dark side of the force and embrace the lillywhite side!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses! We have just returned from our trip to europe and I managed to find both the regular red shirt and the "retro" shirt.

I could only find a "knock off" for the red shirt but I splurged 80 euro in Italy to buy the "retro" shirt! {I hope I didn't get ripped off.}

My son was thrilled and wears both shirts proudly!

Thanks again for your help! Laurie
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 12:43 AM

You didn't get horibly ripped off - they are hellishly expensive things.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, David. That is good to know!