Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving in Milan early morning--staying for 1 night

Sep 30th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Maria J. Gutierrez

need suggestions on what to do, and where to stay. Is it a good idea to head to Verona or should I stay in Milan? What should I do for that one day and where should I book a hotel.

Sep 30th, 2000, 01:45 PM
Tony

If it was me I would catch the first train out of Milan to Verona - a super city, and a great place to unwind after a long flight.

Sep 30th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Maria Gutierrez

Where should I stay in Verona--in order to be central and to take advantage of the day?

Sep 30th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Jim Mohundro

We stayed at the Locanda dei Mercanti in Milano for that first night after out arrival at Malpensa in order to adjust to the times, etc. If you're intyerested in opera, it's worth while getting a peek at La Scala from the La Scala Museum, and seeing the enormous Duomo and posh Galleria. It was a good, low-key (in the sense of non being inundated by other tourists) introduction to Italy; however, Verona is a relatively short distance to the east (I think about two hours by train) and is an even lower-key Italian experience (we traveled to Verona after three days in Florence--where we'd gone the day after Milano--and it was a great break from the very crowded Florence).

We stayed at Verona's Hotel Guilietta e Romeo (no kidding!). It it was very pleasant and effectively right next door to the Roman colisseum (I never remember how to spell that). Oddly, the Guilietta and Milano's Locanda were the only Italian hotels that did not include breakfast with the rooms. But, no matter, eating is only about 100 feet away from the Guiletta.

If you go to Verona, we recommend you cross the river and visit the ancient Roman theatre and museum. The museum is on a hill above the theatre and ofers probably the best overall view of Verona.

Have a great time.

Sep 30th, 2000, 06:01 PM
Maria

Thanks Jim for all the info. I will check out the hotel in Verona.