Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arrive in UK then 10 Days later fly to Paris. 3rd trip, any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading to Europe July 26 for 3.5 Months. As we can only be in the Schengen Countries for 90 days we are going to spend 10 days in the UK/Ireland then head to Paris to start our 89' day adventure of France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Croatia.

I'm after suggestions on what to do in those 10 days. This will be our 3rd trip to London, so we have done most of the major sites. Having said that, this is our first trip in the summer.

May 2008 we spent 5 weeks driving around the UK. From the bottom, Lands End right up to the top of Scotland and over to Wales.

So we were thinking a day or two in London to recover from the flight then maybe fly to Dublin and spend a week driving and exploring some of Ireland. Then fly from Dublin to Paris on the 5th August.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts and what you would do.

Thanks as always.
AD
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM

I would suggest flying from London to Shannon. Pick up a rental car and explore the southwest, then work your way to Dublin (no backtracking).

You can fly Heathrow-Shannon on Aer Lingus and either Gatwick-Shannon or Stansted-Shannon on Ryanair.

Fly from Dublin to CDG on Aer Lingus. (You might get cheaper tickets on Ryanair for Dublin-Beauvais, but Beauvais is a long bus ride from Paris.)
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Sounds do-able. thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 04:46 PM

You're welcome!

Another option would be to fly from London to Cork. Aer Lingus flies from Heathrow and Gatwick. Ryanair flies from Stansted and Gatwick.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM

I suggest Dingle or Killarney if you are looking for a nice base in Ireland (although I must add we have not been in the middle of summer which I understand can be busy). See our trip report from an 8 day trip a couple of years ago.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-in-april.cfm

Happy planning
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 01:22 PM

TimS's suggestion is good. Depending on where exactly you want to focus on in Ireland, Ryanair also flies from London to Kerry airport near Killarney (some flights leave from Stansted, some from Luton). I did that a couple of years and ago and it would work very well for seeing Killarney or Kenmare first. But Shannon will be better if you want to start in Doolin/the Burren/Cliffs of Moher area. (For Dingle, I *think* Kerry would be closer, but my memory is fuzzy on exactly how long it took us to get from Dingle to Shannon.)

If you do take Ryanair or one of the other budget airlines, make sure you know all the fees and restrictions.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

This is great, thanks so much.