Reload this Page >

Arrival in Rome with choice of car service

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 04:19 AM
Robyn

I have what I think is a simple question. We are going to Italy for our honeymoon in March and the Grand Hotel Plaza in Rome provides a car service at 120000L to pick us up from the airport. Is this expensive? How much would a taxi be? Are taxi drivers honest for the most part? <BR> <BR>I think it might be a good idea to get the car service although I think it is just a little on the high side. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Robyn

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 04:37 AM
elaine

Robyn, I have not done that trip but just out of curiosity I checked my Italy guidebook which was a 1997 edition. <BR>It says that a taxi from DaVinci airport should have cost 70,000 lire, at least. <BR>Given inflation, the passage of time, and a car service, which is usually more luxurious and always more expensive than a taxi, the 120,000 lire doesn't sound so bad to me. <BR>Perhaps Rome experts will comment further.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 05:51 AM
Beth

When we were there in September it was possible to get a car hire right at the airport for 90,000L. This was slightly different from a taxi, more like a limo service. We didn't have to wait in the taxi line, and we were in an air conditioned Mercedes. There was a little booth, near the car rental desks in the airport where we hired them. I believe a taxi was going to be around 70,000L. So yes, 120,000L is kind of expensive.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 07:32 AM
howard

Sure, it's more expensive, but from personal experience, it's worth the extra money just for the convenience and lack of anxiety. As previous posters have mentioned, it saves waiting in line, etc. And, it was great getting out of customs in Rome, walking a few feet to the limo desk, being taken care of right away. Hey, you're on your honeymoon...splurge!

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Marilyn Ham

We've usually taken the train into Rome and taken the limo out of Rome. The train is easy to take and costs around 15,000 lira each. You can buy the tickets at the tabacci stand right next to the tracks. Marilyn

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Robyn

Thanks to all for replying so promptly. I think we are going to splurge. I am sure that being in a foreign country after flying all night and being etremely tired from the weekend nuptuials(sp) we will feel a calm knowing there will be a car waiting for us. I do welcome any other reccommendations for the honeymoon. <BR>Thanks again.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Chris

Hey I think the idea of getting the hotel car service is a great idea. Especially since you will have jet lag. You surely don't want to have a taxi driver take you the long way around town to see the sights and then end up paying more than you expected. Besides I'm sure the guy your marrying is pretty cool and wouldn't mind droping the extra dime. CAIO.....Christo.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 09:17 AM
howard

Smart move, Robyn. As I said in my previous post, it was one less thing I had to be concerned about especially (as you state) since you'll be tired after the all-night flight. <BR>Once you arrive at the hotel, leave your bags (your room probably won't be ready yet anyway) and go outside for walk. Come back around lunchtime, shower and take a brief rest, go back outside for dinner and retire early. You should fine the next morning. <BR>Advice: Set the sights, but take the time to really enjoy the people, the surroundings and the culture....and resign yourself that you can't possibly see everything the first time. But that's okay, because you'll go back!

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:06 PM
howard

Oops, just reread my previous post, and that first word after "Advice" should obviously be "See," not "Set"! Sorry.

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 02:13 PM
Walter

Robyn, I've done all 3 modes of transport (train, taxi, limo) and it's great to clear Customs and have that man holding that little sign with your name on it, no hassle right to his car. Everyone's prices sound about right and I'm sure the hotel's tacking on a surcharge but the difference between 90K and 120K is ~$15US, I'm sure you have enough to plan already let the hotel arrange this for you and just relax and enjoy your honeymoon. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 02:26 PM
Ed

The charge is a little high by perhaps LIT20,000. Cab should run 45-60,000, plus tip. Cabbies are honest in our extensive experience in Rome. <BR> <BR>But for a honeymoon? Take the limo! <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com