Arrival day - Rotterdam or .....???

Jun 10th, 2019, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Arrival day - Rotterdam or .....???

We will arrive at Schipol Airport on Wednesday, July 3rd at 6AM. We are due in Germany to visit with family on the afternoon of the 4th. Currently, I have tickets on a separate itinerary from AMS to NUE leaving AMS at 12:45 PM on the 3rd, essentially continuing the journey on arrival day. The next earlier flight departs at 8AM. So my choices seem to be:

1. Risk an 8AM flight to NUE (I probably wouldn’t do this – too risky)
2. Sit at Schipol for almost 6 hours to catch the flight to NUE
3. Spend arrival day and night in Rotterdam or other location and fly to NUE the next day.

Originally, I booked the same day flight on to NUE so that all of the travel to Germany would be on one day. Now, I’m rethinking the sanity of that long layover.

Your first question will likely be, why the #$%& didn’t I book our flight into Munich or Frankfurt instead of AMS. That reason is simple, I was able to snag FF tickets and get us Delta One Suite seats on the US to AMS leg and I have no intention of giving those up!

Your next question will likely be, why don’t you spend arrival day in Amsterdam. The reason is that after the family visit for a few days, we’re flying back to AMS to spend 4 nights in Amsterdam.

So, my thought on Rotterdam is this – I’m looking for an easy trip from Schipol, someplace interesting to walk around for the day. Hubby does not deal with arrival day as well as I do (he prefers to nap a bit, while I prefer to tough it out). I thought the port area might keep him entertained enough to maybe forego his nap. Also, the big market (Markthal) might be something easy and interesting to explore. A harbor tour would be fantastic if we had enough time and energy. I was thinking about staying at the Hotel New York.

Generally speaking, we prefer smaller towns, so initially I considered Haarlem, Utrecht, and even Delft for this arrival day, but now leaning toward Rotterdam. Any thoughts on whether Rotterdam is a good choice for arrival day? Should we get a hotel closer to the train station? Thanks in advance for any input!

Heidi

Last edited by phieaglefan; Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: paragraphs were run together
Jun 10th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Also consider canal-laced old-looking Leiden just a few minutes from station - especially if into a 6-hour layover:

https://www.google.com/search?q=leid...w=1097&bih=535
Jun 10th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pal,

The photos of Leiden are lovely, and I did see that it's a quick trip from AMS. I hadn't really thought about leaving the airport, but that is an option I guess. What I didn't see when looking at Leiden is that attraction or thing that will interest DH enough to stay awake. Any ideas?
Jun 10th, 2019, 11:34 AM

I adored Leiden, but I am a plant nerd and spent a long time in the botanical garden. Just walking around town was entertaining--just that ineffable something that makes a place pleasant. I liked it more than Delft. I typically avoid museums when jetlagged but there are several for such a small town.
My husband has been to the Hague and enjoys biking to the beach there, another possibility.
Jun 10th, 2019, 11:40 AM

I would either book into Yotelair at Schiphol for a few hours, grab a shower and relax and carry on with your journey, see if you can get into a lounge, or go to Rotterdam but get the later flight the following day. Though I guess with your jet lag you may be awake early enough to get to the station and to Schiphol and through security for an 8am flight - it would mean leaving Rotterdam CS at no later than 06.30, assuming you are not checking bag, and can check in online. Trains to Rotterdam on your arrival day will be busy as it will be rush hour.
Another thought is stay in Haarlem and visit Cruquius to give you husband something to look at https://www.haarlemmermeermuseum.nl/en
Jun 10th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's replies. Yorkshire, glad to know you like Leiden so much. I hadn't thought about leaving the airport, but one option would be to take the ice train upon arrival to Leiden. If we could be thru customs and on a train in 45 minutes, we'd have at least 2 1/2 hours to explore Leiden before having to return to the airport. In this situation, I would check our rolling bags before we left the airport and just carry our 'personal items' around Leiden.

Hetismij, I did not know of the Yotelair at Schiphol (and just realized I was misspelling Schiphol) so thank you for the info, and for not calling out my spelling error. It's an option, but almost as expensive as a hotel night. I do think DH would enjoy the Cruquius. I guess my problem is that I have too many options! And yes, if we did stay in Rotterdam, we would definitely take the 12:45 flight and not the early one.
Jun 10th, 2019, 12:34 PM

Leiden things to do - three famous museums and Botanical Gardens in University area are individual sights like yorkshire says. If you chose to stay the night Rotterdam would be great but for a few-hour visit Leiden takes the cake it seems.
Jun 10th, 2019, 12:48 PM

If you choose to continue on to Nuremberg same day, I would ask the gate agent in the US to check thru your bags to NUE.
So you don‘t have to collect and re-check in AMS.
Unless someone else knows that Delta and KLM do not have an interline agreement.
Jun 10th, 2019, 01:28 PM

I am a wreck after getting off an long plane flight. I wouldn't want to do any of the touring around you are considering.
Jun 10th, 2019, 01:58 PM

If you stay in the airport there are a lots of things to while away time like a branch of the Rijksmuseum:

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/schiphol

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/l...am-airport.htm

Plus lots of shopping inside and outside customs.

Who knows a 6 hr layover could really turn out to be 3 hrs.

There was a small red-light district in the airport last I visited (2012) but it was not advertised though some types transiting the airport may like it to kill time!

Last edited by PalenQ; Jun 10th, 2019 at 02:13 PM.
Jun 10th, 2019, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by phieaglefan View Post
We will arrive at Schipol Airport on Wednesday, July 3rd at 6AM. We are due in Germany to visit with family on the afternoon of the 4th. Currently, I have tickets on a separate itinerary from AMS to NUE leaving AMS at 12:45 PM on the 3rd, essentially continuing the journey on arrival day. The next earlier flight departs at 8AM. So my choices seem to be:

1. Risk an 8AM flight to NUE (I probably wouldn’t do this – too risky)
2. Sit at Schipol for almost 6 hours to catch the flight to NUE
3. Spend arrival day and night in Rotterdam or other location and fly to NUE the next day.

Originally, I booked the same day flight on to NUE so that all of the travel to Germany would be on one day. Now, I’m rethinking the sanity of that long layover.

Your first question will likely be, why the #$%& didn’t I book our flight into Munich or Frankfurt instead of AMS. That reason is simple, I was able to snag FF tickets and get us Delta One Suite seats on the US to AMS leg and I have no intention of giving those up!

Your next question will likely be, why don’t you spend arrival day in Amsterdam. The reason is that after the family visit for a few days, we’re flying back to AMS to spend 4 nights in Amsterdam.

So, my thought on Rotterdam is this – I’m looking for an easy trip from Schipol, someplace interesting to walk around for the day. Hubby does not deal with arrival day as well as I do (he prefers to nap a bit, while I prefer to tough it out). I thought the port area might keep him entertained enough to maybe forego his nap. Also, the big market (Markthal) might be something easy and interesting to explore. A harbor tour would be fantastic if we had enough time and energy. I was thinking about staying at the Hotel New York.

Generally speaking, we prefer smaller towns, so initially I considered Haarlem, Utrecht, and even Delft for this arrival day, but now leaning toward Rotterdam. Any thoughts on whether Rotterdam is a good choice for arrival day? Should we get a hotel closer to the train station? Thanks in advance for any input!

Heidi
Rotterdam is 40 minutes by train from Schiphol, Leiden is 30 minutes, so there's not much difference in travel.

HNY is an excellent choice, you won't regret it. It is a bit of a trek from the nearest Metro station, but you can take the metro to Leuvehaven and take a water taxi from there and that's an excellent experience (bring cash to pay)

Markthal is nice.but a bit bland, the area around it is much more interesting: around Botersloot and Pannekoekstraat there's a couple of very nice day-time eating places.

Around HNY however, there are 2 food halls to explore. One, a pretty commercialized Amsterdam import (foodhallen), the other, on Katendrecht, you'll need to cross Rijnhavenbrug for that, is a food hall where local producers have set up collectively, and that one surpasses the big Markthal in many ways. Always a good scene, Kaapse Brouwers are there with their city brewery and over 20 of their beers on tap.

Katendrecht itself is interesting too and has HAL's "old" SS Rotterdam moored permanently and beautifully restored. The Lido deck is still a favorite spot, especially in summer. It's got an ok restaurant too. HNY have their own pretty good restaurant with upscale brasserie food. For a diy harbour tour you can take the waterbus from the SS Rotterdam stop all the way out to RDM, an old shipyard. It's an exhilarating ride and does more or less the same route as "official" harbour tour Spido.

Rotterdam is dynamic and totally unlike other Dutch cities.
Jun 11th, 2019, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Suze, I am not looking to do a lot of touring around. Or at least I don't see it that way. I am looking for one or maybe two really interesting things to do to keep us occupied and out of bed. In the past, we generally go straight from MUC to my Aunt's home. It's a bit taxing to try to make conversation in another language when you're jetlagged, at least for me. So this trip we built in a veg day on arrival day.

Pal, you're certainly correct that the 6 hour layover might become a 3 hour one. And thanks for the links!

Menachem, thanks for the input. I will research the other markets, and thanks for the info on the do it yourself harbor tour.

I did not realize that I would have to take a water taxi to the Hotel New York. Is there another hotel you would recommend that might be easier to get to?

Thanks again,
Heidi

Last edited by phieaglefan; Jun 11th, 2019 at 04:06 AM. Reason: typo
Jun 11th, 2019, 02:26 PM

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Suze, I am not looking to do a lot of touring around. Or at least I don't see it that way. I am looking for one or maybe two really interesting things to do to keep us occupied and out of bed. In the past, we generally go straight from MUC to my Aunt's home. It's a bit taxing to try to make conversation in another language when you're jetlagged, at least for me. So this trip we built in a veg day on arrival day.

Pal, you're certainly correct that the 6 hour layover might become a 3 hour one. And thanks for the links!

Menachem, thanks for the input. I will research the other markets, and thanks for the info on the do it yourself harbor tour.

I did not realize that I would have to take a water taxi to the Hotel New York. Is there another hotel you would recommend that might be easier to get to?

Thanks again,
Heidi
Atlanta, on Aert van Nesstraat is very central, and somewhat of a Rotterdam landmark, but could also do with some updating. It's got a fantastic Dim Sum restaurant though. However, right opposite it is https://thejames.nl/, which a better choice, imo.

Another good choice might be the recently refurbished https://www.savoyhotelrotterdam.com/en/

You can either change trains at Rotterdam Centraal Station to a train that stops at Blaak, the next stop, or you can take tram 21 or 24, from the front of the station, direction De Esch and get off at Blaak. Right where al the quirky architecture is. In the middle of Hip and Happening Hoogkwartier, apparently. It's a 20 minute walk from Central Station.

https://www.savoyhotelrotterdam.com/en/surroundings/
Jun 11th, 2019, 03:39 PM

Don't get me wrong... I agree about the "veg day" or two upon arrival. I always build that in. But I don't make plans. And wouldn't add a different location. I just get out and walk around, go to Vondelpark or something, right in Amsterdam.
Jun 11th, 2019, 05:17 PM

I enjoyed ascending the Maas Tower and get a bird's eye view over Europe's largest port - pretty amazing plus Rotterdam. There is a rail line that goes thru the heart of the port along the Maas to Hoek of Holland and nice beaches. To me, that train like is one of the most scenic in Europe because I like industrial zones like this sprawling port.
Jun 12th, 2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
I enjoyed ascending the Maas Tower and get a bird's eye view over Europe's largest port - pretty amazing plus Rotterdam. There is a rail line that goes thru the heart of the port along the Maas to Hoek of Holland and nice beaches. To me, that train like is one of the most scenic in Europe because I like industrial zones like this sprawling port.
That's the Eurotoren. Maastoren is fairly non-descript officeblock near where I live.

The railway line is closed. The conversion to light rail overran by 3 years (and counting) and overspent by 10s of millions of euros. I took the ferry to Harwich last week: you take a bus to and from Schiedam station to get to Hoek.
Jun 12th, 2019, 10:33 AM

Soccer fans can go to Rotterdam's soccer stadium for a museum in the stadion area.
Jun 12th, 2019, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the helpful information. Well, it is getting a bit close to departure to be changing flights, so I figured I needed to make up my mind. I decided to spend arrival day in Rotterdam. I moved my flight to NUE to the following day.

Menachem, The James and The Savoy are two of the hotels that I had mentally check marked as they seemed promising. Either one looks like a great choice, but in the end, I decided on The Mainport Design Hotel. It's a Marriott property, and I'm just a few points short of a free room night. I chose it because I could get a harbor view room and it's proximity to the harbor and other sites.

Thanks again to all who weighed in!

Heidi
Jun 12th, 2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
Soccer fans can go to Rotterdam's soccer stadium for a museum in the stadion area.
Uhm no. That's the Johan Cruijff stadium in Amsterdam. The Feyenoord stadium hasn't got a notable museum. They've got something, but you only get to visit it if you book a tour.

Last edited by menachem; Jun 12th, 2019 at 11:12 AM.
Jun 12th, 2019, 11:11 AM

Thanks again for all of the helpful information. Well, it is getting a bit close to departure to be changing flights, so I figured I needed to make up my mind. I decided to spend arrival day in Rotterdam. I moved my flight to NUE to the following day.

Menachem, The James and The Savoy are two of the hotels that I had mentally check marked as they seemed promising. Either one looks like a great choice, but in the end, I decided on The Mainport Design Hotel. It's a Marriott property, and I'm just a few points short of a free room night. I chose it because I could get a harbor view room and it's proximity to the harbor and other sites.

Thanks again to all who weighed in!

Heidi
Excellent choice as well. They've got great wellness offerings. You'll have Witte de Withstraat around the corner. https://www.cityrotterdam.com/en/vis...de-withstraat/

Enjoy Rotterdam!

Dinner: I can really recommend the collectively owned Oliva: please book, because it's popular.

Reijngoud is great for a craft beer and quite imaginative bar snacks.
Also: Gusto or Dertien (especially that one, busy, so book) on Schiedamse Vest.

Last edited by menachem; Jun 12th, 2019 at 11:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO