Reload this Page >

Arles - Hotel Le Cloitre

Search

Arles - Hotel Le Cloitre

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 11:25 PM
Paige

Arles - Hotel Le Cloitre

Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Thanks!

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:13 AM
PB

I'm not familiar with any hotel in Arles called Le Cloitre.... do you perhaps mean the one in Avignon ? <BR> <BR>PB

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 01:33 AM
Paige

No, it's in Arles on Rue de Cloitre right next to the cloister. I found one recommendation on this board for it but it's not listed in the books I have and it doesn't have a website.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 01:36 AM
Paige

Here's the post I referred to. I was just wondering if anyone else had any comments because I booked it for the end of April. <BR> <BR>Author: Capo ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 2/23/2001, 7:46 pm ET <BR> <BR>Message: Hi Chris, are you planning on only the western part of Provence (i.e. Aix/Arles/Avignon), or the eastern part (i.e. the Côte d'Azur, Nice, etc.) as well? <BR> <BR>A hotel recommendation for Arles, should you decide to stay there: Hotel Le Cloitre, 16 rue du Cloitre, Tel: 0490962950, Fax: 0490960288 <BR> <BR>It's convenient (right near the Roman theater), is run by a charming 30-ish (I think) English-speaking French couple named Agnes & Jean-François (and their huge white dog, Inuk), and it's built near/around an old cloister, hence the name. We had a lovely room and a great breakfast with Agnes' homemade jams. As I recall, we paid about $45-$50 for a nicely-decorated room with a double bed and bath. It was one of our favorite hotels during a two-week trip to France a year-and-a-half ago. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:46 AM

to the top

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 11:52 AM
PB

I hadn't heard of it... but I"ll be going into Arles this coming weekend and I"ll try to stop by and check it out. I'll post here and let you know. <BR> <BR>PB

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:21 PM
Capo

Hi Paige, that was me that posted the recommendation. What is it -- aside from the things I already mentioned in my recommendation -- that you'd like to know about the hotel? Ask here, or feel free to email me. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 01:04 AM
Paige

Hi Capo! <BR>I'm just curious about how many stars it has, if the rooms have TVs, where their parking is, if breakfast is included in the rates, what sort of building it's in, what condition the bathrooms are in and stuff like that. I'm also curious if anyone else has stayed there recently. Thanks!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:04 AM
Paige

Thanks, PB. Thought I'd bring this back up so Capo might see it.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 11:05 AM
Christina

Paige, I have not stayed in that hotel but it is recommended in a great online guide I've been reading to Provence at www.jack-travel.com. He has lots of good trip ideas and descriptions you might like to read, and likes that hotel but does not really say much about it. It is cited in interhotels.com which just says it is two stars and has TV. I have had TV in two-star hotels in Provence but they did not get cable so everything was in French.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 11:19 AM
Christina

sorry, I just checked and that URL is wrong, it is http://interhotel.com/en/ <BR> <BR>I'm not sure I'd trust it on specifics as it is a Spanish hotel web site, not French, and I've seen info on that hotel on a French website that did not say it had TV, but was a 2-star, although that was an outdated page that is not online anymore. It's definitely a 2-star hotel and has rooms with full bathrooms as well as those with only shower; Jack Travel implies there are very cheap rooms with only a sink and toilet, as I recall, so if you book I'd be sure to specify on that issue even though it's not often necessary in many hotels nowadays.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Margo Classe

CLOITRE: 16, rue Cloitre. Tel: 0490962950. Fax: 0490960288. (31 rms., 29 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 280F/43EUR single; 320-435F/49-66EUR (large rm.) double; 400-430F/61-66EUR triple; 460F/70EUR quad. Breakfast (8-10am) at 39F pp can be served in the room (5F extra pp) & in the front courtyard of the hotel in warm weather. Visa, MC, AX. American spoken (Agnes), TV (25F extra per day), fabulous 12th-century 2 bldg./hotel w/nicely furnished & individually decorated airy bright nice-size pretty rms., lots of provençal character, great atmosphere, high wood-beamed ceilings, stone walls, #12 (bright rm. w/bathtub & wonderful view of rooftops) is for a double; #18 & 20 (both bright rms. w/view of cloisters) are for a double; 2 (large rm. w/double bed, 1 twin & bathtub) is for a triple; #1 (huge rm. w/2 double beds & shower) is for a family; 9 rms. are bldg. #2 (they don’t like the word annex) are just as wonderful , have more character & history than the rms. in main bldg. but they have no views, these rms. will be renovated by April 2000, #28 (2 double beds) is for a family; the rms. with no showers/toilets are cheaper, nonsmoking rms. available, peaceful courtyard, no elevator, 2 flrs., parking (55F per day). Owned/managed by Agnes & Jean François Hugley. Both work very hard on maintaining the charm & natural character of the hotel. Agnes use to be a national tourist guide so she is quite knowledgeable on the history & sites of Arles, the surrounding area & Paris. (Closed Nov.-Feb.) Take a taxi.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Paige

Thanks, everyone! Sounds pretty good to me. I'll post about it after we get back.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:10 AM
Paige

Hello! We just spent 4 nights at the Hotel Le Cloitre and really liked it! It's in a very old building on a quiet side street and has a lot of charm and personality. The couple that run it are warm, friendly, wonderful hosts. We paid 360ff per night for a large double with bathroom (actually it was a triple with a double bed and a twin), 10ff tax, 70ff for breakfast for 2 per day and 30ff for parking. They have a huge lazy dog that lounges about and a very sociable cat that welcome you as well. I'd stay there again without a doubt!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 02:12 AM
Paige

e-mail: [email protected]

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Capo

Hi Paige, I'd forgotten all about this thread until today. I'm thrilled that you liked it (but I also thought you would!) Aren't Agnes & Jean-François wonderful? They're film aficionados, and we spent some time one evening discussing movies with them. And it sounds like you met their dog, Inuk, as well. From what you wrote, it sounds like my memory was pretty good about what we paid for a room. Did you like the breakfast (with Agnes's homemade jams?) and the breakfast room? I had a lot of fun manuevering our Renault van through that narrow archway into the rear parking lot! <BR> <BR>Merci for their email address. I don't recall them having one when we booked our room almost two years ago. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I'm reviving an ancient thread, but I just stayed at the Cloitre a few weeks ago, and I wanted to sing their praises--especially since Le Calendal seems to be the Arles hotel of choice around here. The Cloitre is WONDERFUL. The owners are delightful, and the building is filled with history, being 13th c and right smack next to the Saint-Trophime cloister. (Once upon a time it was part of the monastery complex.)

I had room 18 (I think it was 18!) on the top floor overlooking the cloister. It was a bright, sunny room and had a large bathroom. No a/c so maybe that'd be an issue later in the summer, but we had mistral for a few days when I was there (end of May) and it was actually chilly. There was a tv in the room but I think you have to pay extra to use it (I didn't care about it so I didn't ask).

You can't beat the prices. I paid 47 Euro for a double room, single use, with w/c and shower. No elevator, fyi. Breakfast is 5 Euro extra and was a good value (basket of breads, homemade jams, orange juice, unlimited coffee/tea/chocolate).

The Cloitre is a good choice for anyone wanting a place that feels authentically Provencal, is a good bargain, and is smack in the center of town.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
And where is CAPO these days?
You're missed!!!!!