Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aren't there any inexpensive (<90 Euro) Parisian hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know there's an Esmeralda, but i read it's crawling with cats, of which my wife is phobic.
All we need is a double bed and shower
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try the DeVillas; it's near the Pantheon.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:30 PM

There are many! Read some of the previous threads on this. If you just want to pick something quickly, try http://www.accorhotels.com (particularly Ibis, Mercure, and Libertel brands) and http://www.hrs.de .

Note that the Novotel Les Halles has been coming up as a 4* hotel in the Opera Quarter East zone for $105 + taxes and fees on Priceline. No guarantees, but there's a good chance.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Try www.eurocheapo.com we stayed at les argonauts last year and it was great. Fabulous location...loud though, and the room was small but decent.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:38 PM

There are actually quite a few, and www.eurocheapo.com, as suggested, is a great resource for them. Argonatues isn't too far from Esmeralda. I think there are a couple others in that area, also, like the Studia or Suez. The Tiquetonne on the Right Bank is in there and a lot cheaper. Don't know if they have the Hotel Port Royal, which is a nice area near Gobelins metro, and recommended about everywhere for those looking for a decent 1* Here's their web site, which may not have prices (I couldn't find them, most 1* hotels don't even have web sites, though) but I think a double is around 75 euro.

There are actually quite a few if you really only want a bed and shower -- and many more if you don't insist on staying the most expensive areas. I hope you aren't looking during a peak rate period, though (like Christmas holidays). You could easily get that in low summer season, as I just got a double room in a nice 3* hotel in Montparnasse for only 90 euro in early August.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 12:53 AM

The Pointe Rivoli, 125 rue Saint Antoine, in the 4th close to the Bastille. Someone I know stayed there last Sept for 76 euro per night. It has a very unusual spiral staircase and no elevator. They were happy with the hotel and the St Paul metro stop was on the doorstep. They were also considering the Esmeralda. In all the reviews I have seen (mostly good, quirky, eccentric) I have never seen any mention of cats! Would agree with Christina about eurocheapo - gives very accurate descriptions of hotels.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:58 AM

Hotel Kensington, 79, Ave de la Bourdonnais (M: Ecole Militaire / RER: Pont de L'Alma) 67 euros a night for a double room with shower. Right across from the Eiffel Tower in the 7th Arr. I thought it was a perfect location and central to everything (within walking distance). There are lots of nice neighborhood shops all around with boulangeries, pastisseries, etc. to make you feel like one of the locals!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:27 AM

There are plenty. St Andre des Arts on the street of the same name in the 6th.

Also go to http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/
http://www.123france.com/
http://digital.france.com/hotels/
http://www.parishotels.com/
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 02:53 AM

Try www.hoteldefrance.com, in the 7th, near Ecole Militaire and Les Invalides. It's heads and shoulders above the Esmeralda, in a lovely neighborhood, and only 72 &euro; for a double. Nice staff, convenient location, internet in the lobby.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:55 AM

I have read mostly good comments about
Delhys
www.franceway.com/hotels/delhys/
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:58 AM

The DeVillas is in the 5th, but there are many other places that are closer to the Pantheon
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:07 AM

Hotel du Champs de Mars was 76 euro a night for a double when I was there in April. The room was nicely decorated and quiet. It's right near Rue Cler, so if you are a foody, this is a great location.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:15 AM

We paid 95 euro per night in the middle of summer at Hotel Residence Monge in the Latin Quarter. Very nice, modern room with all ammenties, including two sets of French doors that opened onto a balcony overlooking the street.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:24 AM

I agree with Isabel. I've stayed at the St. Andre, loved it. Clean, friendly, ensuite bath... (but...no elevator, no tv in the room, but hey?! Paris it outside the window)
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:29 AM

This month's Conde Nast mentioned two hotels in Paris for $90: Port-Royal-Hotel (portroyalhotel.fr.st) and Sunny Hotel (paris-hostel.com/sunny) They are both in the fifth.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Whoops-a typo: paris-hotel.com/sunny--- not &quot;hostel&quot;.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:14 AM

You can get a double room with bath or shower at the Hotel du College de France, in the 5th (http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/accueil-us.html), for 92&euro; (78&euro;, in the low season). I stayed there two years ago, and would go back again. It also gets consistently good reviews on Tripadvisor.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:22 AM

what time frame are you going? i found a hotel i liked in the 9th and called the hotel directly. i got the manager to give me the 110euro room for 80 euro. i say pick a couple of hotels you like and call them direct. otherwise, priceline it.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:36 AM

The DeVillas is certainly in the 5th; the review I read says it's &quot;not far&quot; from the Pantheon and about 4 m&eacute;tro stops from Od&eacute;on. It has both an elevator and a/c, unusual for a 2* hotel.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!! 18 responses! More than I'd hoped for! And all very diverse and helpful. Thanks to all for your help.

We're going to tour France from 9/18 - 10/7, with X days in Paris somewhere in there. From having read previous posts, and some sites elsewhere with comments, I'm expecting a smaller room than in a Comfort Inn or the like; wouldn't mind old as long as the dust isn't too thick. ha ha The last two years in Germany/Cz &amp; Slov Republics, pensions were quite fine. So too Britain '95. We thus don't need much from the room, as we hope not to spend much time in it, and hence don't want to spend unduly on it. That said, we aren't wanting to be penny wise, pound foolish.
We got a stack of books from the library Saturday on Paris and France, but are not yet conversant in which neighborhood (arondisement?) to try to locate in . Attractions thus far seem to be: Louvre; Musee Dorsay; walks; bakeries; food; atmosphere; maybe Versaille, just to compare to German &amp; Cz castles; maybe a few cathedrals. No plays. Open to other suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -