Reload this Page >

Areas you loved between Avignon & Nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 08:34 AM
Karen

We are considering flying into Nice and have a few days free to travel before Avignon. <BR>Any suggestions on cities, sites, wine tasting, hotels, etc. that shouldn't be missed. We were thinking of concentrating <BR>on the Riviera but have mixed opinions on that region. Planning to rent a car unless public transportation would be better.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Kristin

We liked Antibes for its beautiful sandy beaches and Picasso museum. Could easily be a daytrip from Nice by train. We also liked Arles (which could be a daytrip from Avignon) for Roman ruins, museums, general old tone of the city. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 10:34 AM
Robin

In the Luberon, Les Baux de Provence and Roussillon are very pretty. Saint-Remy-de-Provence is busier, but still charming. Aix-en-Provence is on your way and has a lot to recommend it, but be aware that the Cours Mirabeau (famous boulevard with cafes, etc.) is very torn up right now, through next year sometime. <BR> <BR>I haven't been to Ile de Porquieres (bad spelling), but it has been highly recommended, as has St Paul de Vence. <BR> <BR>You have so many options-- have fun deciding!

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 12:06 PM
adrienne

<BR>Hi Karen, <BR> <BR>It's difficult to say which I like better, the Riviera or Western Provence - there are fabulous spots in each area. If you're a museum/nightlife person you'd do better staying on the Riviera as there are more large towns/cities there. Nice, Cannes, and Antibes have great museums as well as charm. And the small villages above the Riviera are wonderful to explore (St-Paul, Vence, Tourettes-sur-Loup, Villeveuve Loubet, etc.) One route I'd recommend Villefranche and St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat; see the Greek Villa in Beaulieu-sur-Mer; drive along the Middle Corniche to Eze and continue on to St-Paul-de-Vence and Vence (see the Matisse chapel). <BR> <BR>If you prefer the quiet of the countryside and charming towns you should fly to Marseilles and explore the Avignon and Luberon area (St-Remy, Pont du Gard, Menerbes, Lacoste, Roussillon, Venasque, Seguret, etc.). <BR> <BR>Definitely rent a car. You'll have so much more flexibility. Email me for more info. <BR> <BR>Adrienne <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 07:25 PM
Lynne

Hi: <BR>The Musee Matisse in Cimiez is well worth a visit as is the Foundation Maeght in Vence; all the villages <BR>Adrienne listed are wonderful! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Ellen

I was EXTREMELY impressed with the hill towns of the Riviera including Eze Village, St. Paul de Vence and Vence. There is also a wonderful house/garden to tour in Cap St. Jean called the Rothschild Estate. <BR> <BR>Now, Provence is my favorite region of France thus far. Please do not miss Le Baux, Gordes (including the bories village) and Rousillon (at sunset especially. Aix is more of a city and pales by comparison to the villages I listed above. Arles on a Saturday morning for the outdoor market is just wonderful too. <BR>Ellen

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 09:10 AM
Ada

Karen, <BR>Don't miss Les Baux de Provence. <BR>Ada