Areas where you would NOT stay in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are tons of topics here about good areas in Paris and people's preferred locations.

I'm going to ask the question coming from the other direction. What locations in Paris would make you anguished and upset, should you happen to say win a free stay there? If, for example, you somehow got a free hotel in the 10th, would you hesitate about going at all? Have you stayed in an area that was so disastrous it almost ruined your trip?

Since I am looking for the best budget deal while still staying in a reasonable location, I am very curious to hear about people's "no-stay" zones. If you have anything from mild dislike of an area to a raging distaste, please post about it. In particular, if you feel an area is unsafe, please post about it.

(The advice from this topic will be combined with the advice received in my previous A/C topic.)
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 02:34 AM

I'd stay anywhere within 10 minutes' walking radius of a metro station. I would *not* stay way out in most of the quartiers served by RER, not because most of them are soulless cement jungles - but because it'd take too long to get into town. (Le Vesinet & St-Germain-en-Laye are exceptions, not 'cause they're posh but 'cause I had friends there . . .)

There are no bad areas - just areas with different characters. You're not going to Paris to sleep, eh? No matter where you are, just play your days & get up & out to make the most of every minute.

Safety isn't an issue for me - you can just as easily experience crime in the 13th, as in the 4th (where I was lucky to live in '92). The 10th is totally fine - you will probably get an authentic view of what that neighborhood does daily.

I bet others would prefer that rarified Paris of the '60s postcards, though . . .
Interesting thread!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:15 AM

I'm not a great fan of the area around Barbes Rochechouart/La Chapelle (edge of the 10th and the 18th) Too crowded, too much trash, and then there's the ugly overland metro line clunking past. The metro stations around there are vile.

At the other end of the scale, I wouldn't want to stay in the 16th, either, as I don't like the atmosphere round there much - a bit *too* posh for my liking! And it's so dead in the evenings. Same goes for the area around the Champs Elysées and l'Etoile. I just find it staid and dull, and the Champs Elysées itself has got to be the most overrated avenue in the world!! But I digress...

I'm sure some people will disagree with me about the 16th, as it's hardly a "quartier chaud", but hey. I suppose my views are influenced by the fact I lived for some years in Paris, but I was never really a tourist there, so I got to know the city from a different viewpoint.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:50 AM

In my opinion, I'd stay in the 10th or 11th... did last year, it was fine!
Now that said, being a lone-wolfette (an alpha tho! <GRIN&gt I'd probably not stay in the area around the Pigalle.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Degas

hanl, what area would you stay in on a one month trip? I read where the 7th was a magnet for americans living in Paris, but that info might be dated.

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Tat

Thanks for asking. I had the same question, but never asked as I am polluting board enough every day
I am so paranoid, I have to make until April, then it'll be "happenig"...
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Dega,

Was in Paris last month and was told repeatedly that the 7th is full of Americans ,though you couldn't tell as you walked around it... The 7th is also supposed to be very wealthy and chic, supposedly beating out places like the 16th. I would certainly stay in the 7th, or the 6th, or the 5th, or the 4th......
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Degas, that's a tough question! Obviously, when you're living in a city, all sorts of factors come into play when choosing a neighbourhood, such as your workplace, transport options, parking, cost of rent, etc. And of course, it's always nice to be living close to your friends

On the left bank, I love the 5th arrondissement, particularly the area around Place Maubert Mutualité, rue Monge and around the Censier Daubenton metro. I like the balance of people - residents, students and tourists.

Moving a little further away from the centre and "tourist land", another pleasant area is around place Denfert Rochereau and rue Daguerre in the 14th.

It's true that the 7th has always had the reputation of being the American ex-pat district. The American Church is there, as is the American library. I'm not sure if the label is still valid today of course. It's not one of my favourite arrondissements, mainly because it's quite "empty" compared to other central arrondissements. It has a reputation as being very quiet and upper-crust. Depends what you're looking for, I suppose!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:48 AM

My 1st visit to Paris we stayed in a hotel in the 10th across from Gare D'Est. My wife and our traveling companions disliked the area and felt unsafe. I found the area very friendly each morning on my Rue St. Denis pre-dawn runs the local females gathered in doorways to wave hello. One can only admire the four person pickpocket teams that operate out of the Gare D'Est metro complete with cell phones. By staying in this area we came to know the pickpocket teams by sight and when they tried to rip us off we were able to throw them off the metro. My travelmates did not view staying in the 10th as a positive cultural experience. On subsequent trips we have stayed in the 6th and 7th but I always manage one pre-dawn run through the 10th to recapture that friendly feel.

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:12 AM

We stayed at the Lyon-Mulhouse Hotel on Blvd. Beaumarchais (I think...) and I beleive that was borderline 10eme, 11eme

IF, and that is one big IF, I could live there for a month; I'd try to find an apartment on one of the islands. Just for the experience. And another thing, why go to Paris to live in an American conclave? Maybe I'm nutz, but that defeats the purpose in my mind...
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:37 AM

American families are probably centered near the American School. You'll find clusters of "ex-pats" not just Americans in Paris, but french in London, etc near "their" school.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Tat

Does anyone have anything about 12th ?
Near Bastille (sp?) ????
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Tat: Near Bastille there's one thing you won't have to worry about: "Where could I take a drink tonight ?"
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Tat

Wait a minute !!!
It is not like there are bunch of drunks everywhere ?
Please, explain...
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:10 AM

The first time I went to Paris I was in high school on a Cosmos tour bus and we stayed at a hotel in the 17th (Clichy) and I had a horrible impression of the city and was so disappointed. I will never stay there again.

Luckily I gave the city another chance and have since gone back and even worked as a waitress as well as visiting dozens of times.

I lived by La Bastille in the 11th for part of my waitressing days and it's very lively at night and I found it to be a cheap place to find an apartment. But I had a dangerous encounter with a man who chased my friend and I so I would be hesitant about renting a place there again.

My other apartment was in the 15th which I would stay again in a heartbeat. Very residential, not a lot of hotels and for $400/month I could see the Eiffel Tower from my flat, was still away from the bulk of the tourists, had easy access to everything...and for that time I felt like I was a Parisian. I loved it.

I'm ready to go back
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:12 AM

There are plenty of areas of Paris I would never choose to stay in. To answer your question honestly, it depends what the costs would be to me. If it were solely a free hotel but I had to pay for air fare and use my vacation time, I would be very picky as I would be paying the majority of the costs. I think that's what you mean -- just a free hotel.

I wouldn't want any area in the suburbs, nice or not, too inconvenient. For other arrondisements, I wouldn't rule any one completely out, it would be by part of the quartier. Sorry, but there isn't an easy answer for me on that one. Most of the 19-20 I wouldn't want, but I would stay in Menilmontant or Belleville, for example. I wouldn't want the far edges of several of them, but would find it okay closer in (eg, 12,13). There are even specific locations I would not take for free in quarters I find mostly fine, such as a hotel near St Michel metro stop and on rue de la Huchette or something like that.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:49 AM

le defense would not be an area i would favor tho, contrarily, i normally stay in a residential neighborhood on the opposite side of town near the bois de vincennes which others might find a bit too far out.

i would find la defense a bit eerie at night being devoid of its daytime hubbub. that said, i'd also think twice about the area (currently under renovation and probably soon to be exclusive) around the biblioteque.

i've also never been a big fan of montmarte wherein charm can evaporate into sleaze at the turn of a street corner.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I agree that so-called "dangerous areas" rarely are, I would stay away from the Pigalle area (Blvd Clichy and Blvd Barbes-Rochechouart in particular) because of the sleazy neon tackiness. (Sex shops, flashing neon body parts and prostitutes everywhere)
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Years ago while staying near the Austrailian embassy in Paris, friends of mine took me for a long metro ride. When we got to street level, I felt like I was back in time during WWII. The buildings were crumbling and falling over and everything was gray. The only person we could find to help us was a Jamacan man who first tried to sell us a life time supply of hash. What part of Paris was THAT? It was truely a shocking experience. One minute everything was beautiful and fresh and a few moments latter, it looked like the end of the world!
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:20 PM

I wouldn't go wandering around the St.-Denis area, especially night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -