Search

Area around Colosseum safe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Area around Colosseum safe?

Hi -

In looking for an affordable place to stay in Rome with my family (5 of us, I came across the Colosseum Bed & Breakfast. I can't really tell in this is part of the Termini neighborhood (which I understand is a bit seedy) or if this is an okay part of town to stay in. Does anyone have any experience with this? It is located at Via Capo d'africa n. 59 and is supposedly about 100 m from the Colosseum metro station. Thank you!

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM

That used to be a half-way house for paroled convicts.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 01:45 AM

Better central location is someplace closer to the Pantheon. Wonderful atmospheric neighborhood where you can walk to lots of major sights. Safe area.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Whoa! Glad I asked! Thank you!!
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 05:49 AM

You don't say how long you are going for, but maybe you should consider renting an apartment? For 5 people it will be cheaper. We rented one that we liked - here are a couple of links to my reports:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34645892

and

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=1530
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 07:31 AM

I think Cato was joking, although I do not find it amusing when a poster purposely gives false information...

Via Capo d'Africa is nowhere near Termini, and as far as I know, it is in a middle-class residential area. It is true that it is close to the Colosseo.

But for five people, I would consider Wliwl's suggestion of an apartment, if your stay is longer than three days and not at the very height of the tourist season.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Hi Esklader, I found the area around the Colosseum to be safe at night. The area around the Colosseum is walking distance to the Termini, but then again, what isn't in Rome? (to me at least)

I think the question we need answered is how long are you staying in Rome? If a day or so, then the Bed & Breakfast would be ok.

I didn't think the Termini area was a bad part of town (I stayed along Via Nationale), and have stayed in the area every time. Maybe I'm missing out on something...
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Please excuse my lame joke input.

I thought it was so over the top that it would not be taken seriously. Still, it wasn't right to do it. Too much wine talking.

Good luck with your search. I'm in the same boat trying to find an affordable place to stay in Rome. Perhaps we can compare notes later?
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM

LOL Cato. You're guilty of PUI -- Posting under the influence.

Esklader -- I wouldn't stay near the Colisseum -- it gets sketchy at night and is overrun with people hitting up tourists for stupid gladiator pictures (I have a lovely photo of a "gladiator" sitting around text-messaging a friend).

I'd strongly suggest staying closer to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona or Trevi Fountain. The areas are better for wandering, and no paroled ex-cons since they can't afford the rent.

Jules
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 12:59 PM

<<Via Capo d'Africa is nowhere near Termini, and as far as I know, it is in a middle-class residential area. It is true that it is close to the Colosseo>>

The neighborhood is very safe at night and nice. We recently stayed at the Hotel Capo d'Africa and loved it. It's a modern hotel, very, very nice with good rates via their website.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 01:29 PM

I have stayed many times on Capo d'Africa at the Hotel Lancelot. It is definately a nice middle class neighborhood. I have also stayed here alone and have never had any problems returning in the evenings. It is a good 20 minute walk over to the historic center. I actually like staying a little removed from the crowds around the Pantheon.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Via Capo d'Africa is, as others have noted, safe but about 20 minutes walk from the centre and not especially interesting.

For 5, an apartment seems a good choice. You will find many recommendations on this forum. I was most satisfied with sleepinitaly.com; romeby.com has some stunning apartments too.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I have also stayed on Capo d'Africa at the Hotel Lancelot and did not experience any problems or feel unsafe. I would stay in this area again without hesitation. I enjoyed the walk through the Roman Forum on the way to the historic center each day. Public bus transportation was also accessible and easy to use.

I do agree, though, that an apartment is probably the way to go for a family of five. Good luck and have a great trip.