Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are we supposed to tip a concierge in a 5 * hotel?

Oct 6th, 2002, 12:55 PM
ray

I will be going to Europe for the first time this winter. I have booked in Danieli in venice, Grand in florence, Eden in Rome and Hilton in London. Am I supposed to tip the concierge? I really have no idea? I do not want to tip a concierge if I am not supposed to so he does not get offended. If he expects a tip and I donot give him that will offend him too. WHat do you do?

Oct 6th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Jim Rosenberg

You can tip the concierge if something is done for you. I wouldn't tip the concierge just for being the concierge.

Oct 6th, 2002, 01:17 PM
xxx

You should offer a sincere handshake.

And if you stay in places like that, there should be money just falling out of your cuff, all the time, with just the slightest movement of your arm.

Oct 6th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Wayne

If you are serious about this question, you need to follow the guideline that if you ask the concierge to do something for you and he/she does it, then you need to tip him/her.

If you are very wealthy, I suppose you wouldn't be using this forum. So I will assume that you prefer not to part with your money unless there is a good reason. The above reason is the only time you should tip.

Oct 6th, 2002, 01:28 PM
xxx

"if you are very wealthy, I suppose you wouldn't be using this forum". Why not? What does being wealthy or not have to do with getting good travel tips? I realize that much of this forum is dedicated to budget travel, but being very wealthy doesn't mean a person doesn't want to know about specific sights to see, or restaurants to enjoy, or whatever. And I see many people commenting on five star hotels and very expensive resorts and restaurants.