Are these products safe ???

Feb 7th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Jurgen

Are these products safe ???

Hello all

I am travelling to France and then on to U.S.A. I have heard all about French beef, but I was wondering if American produce is safe to eat. I hear that most of American farm produce is genetically modified, or laced with hormones.

Are there any worries in France or the U.S.?

Thanks

Feb 7th, 2001, 07:52 AM
frank

Not sure.Perhaps Pam can help us??

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:13 AM
american eater

In my unscientific nonmedical opinion American produce is completely safe for a visitor with no special sensitivities because you won't be here long enough to be exposed to huge accumulations of "bad" stuff. However, I live here and therefore do not want to be repeatedly exposed for decades to small amounts of avoidable toxins. Therefore whenever possible, I buy my fruits and vegetables from small local farmers who do not rely as heavily of chemicals as the technical gimmicks of huge agricultural producers and whose products are excellent, fresh, varied and grown for taste rather than for the ability to withstand long periods of storage. It's not necessarily "organic" but may be grown with the method known as "integrated pest management" which uses as little pesticide as possible and only when there's a demonstrated need because of excessive infestation or disease. I also limit consumption of veal, which comes from calves laced with high doses of antibiotics during their miserable little lives, and when possible (not too often though) I buy ordinary meats like chicken and pork from farmers. However I think our meats may be less likely to be DISEASED than that in many other countries, though they may not be as tasty as meat in countries that have less mass-production methods of raising their animals.

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:18 AM
SharonM

Jurgen,
Perhaps the inspector guy over in the hosted forum could help you out.

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Anna

I would say that meat is safer here in the States (better inspection and refrigeration), but that produce is probably safer in Europe. However, I don't think you'll be in any danger on either side just by eating while you're on holiday.

Search this Thread