Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there any trustworthy car rental companies Venice Airport and MXP?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2023, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-
We will be renting a car from Venice Marco Polo airport, and returning to Milan Malpensa, early in the morning we depart. I was looking at car rental companies that are available in Venice and MXP (Terminal 1), and wow - SO many 1 star reviews on every single company.
Has anyone had luck and had a good experience with any company in particular? We're looking through Auto Europe. Or, any to definitely stay away from?
Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We had Hertz pick up at MXP and returned in Genoa and no issues.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 08:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
AutoEurope is a good aggregator - I've used them over the years without any issues - just select one of the frontline agencies like Europcar, Hertz, Avis, Sixt and avoid the lesser known ones (which tend to have dubious reputations). Don't let the unfavourable reviews deter you, people are motivated to post reviews when they have an unpleasant experience and are less likely to report a good one.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 10:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of the local familar names are not necessarily the same company you know at home and may be franchisees. I'd use Auto Europe, I'd photo the externals and the running fuel meter at the start and at the end of the journey, it saves those silly letters 2 weeks later. I used to run a team working all over the world and the letters stopped once they started with the photos (If in doubt let the staff know you are doing it)
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 02:53 AM

The on airport companies in Italy are fine and will be familiar names (even if a franchise). You will also find a couple of Italian car rental companies at the airport e,g. Sicily by Car, Autovia. I have used all of them albeit from different airports. Generally they are fine, but I always use a consolidator to compare prices and look at several consolidator sites. I have noticed recently that the car rental companies have shortened the time they will keep a vehicle for pick up, so make sure you are realistic about how long it will take you to get through immigration, luggage pickup and customs. If your flight is delayed then phone/ email the actual car rental company and tell them. Also make sure you get full insurance. Often this is cheaper through a consolidator although you have to pay and reclaim.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 07:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I would definitely use AutoEurope/Kemwel . . . as bilboburgler mentions, in Italy the majors (hertz/avis/etc) are all franchises and not really tied to the main company's customer service. So if there is some problem/issue I'd want AutoEurope's CS to back me up.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 09:55 AM

Agree in full with Janis.

even when we damaged our rental near Barcelona. Bumper fell off !! No trouble and no fee But about 20 years ago.

Used AE for solo rental in Spain few months ago. Upgrade to BMW. Plan to use again September: Salerno through Basilicata etc. Drop in Rome. No worries with this broker.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 12:41 AM

I have used Auto Europe, Holiday Autos, Discovery Cars and CarRentals. All have been fine.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 04:00 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for AutoEurope! No problems with them over twenty years.