Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice>Flor. train, stop Bologna tic purchase?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2023, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if I book a morning train, Frecciarossa 9409 1h 59min, from Venice to Florence, can I get off in Bologna, where there is a stop, and reboard in the evening, continuing my trip to Florence? Or, do I need to buy a ticket for each portion of the trip? Or is there way to buy what I want, once?
Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting question, Mlefever and welcome to Fodors.

If you bought a regionale ticket then as they are not timed at all you ought to be able to do this without any problem, but you can't do it with the Freccia trains as they are only valid for the timed train that you board from where you start. So you could take the Freccia from Florence to Bologna and a regionale from Bologna to Venice when you have finished your visit there. You could buy this when you arrive at Bologna to save time when you get back there.

It's well worth getting a Freccia from Florence to Bologna - it takes less than 40 minutes as opposed to 2 hours using a regionale train, but there is only a 30 minute difference between the Freccia and the Regionale Veloce between Bologna and Venice, but the price of the Freccia is 2x. You could also download the Trenitalia app which lets you buy tickets as well as look up train timetables.

Old Jul 14th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. This is helpful.
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 09:20 AM

Actually the regional train tickets are now timed, after a fashion .They have to be bought for a specific day and the entire trip has to be completed within four hours of the validation (stamping the ticket in a machine by the platform). If the ticket is bought online, you can't validate it, so that would be four hours from the departure time of the train you chose.

This is a measure to prevent the reuse of tickets.

Also, you can now reserve a place, but not a seat, on some regional trains.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Ah, good to know. Thank you.