Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are GPS individually purchased maps better than a GPS preloaded map?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit it right up front...I'm technologically challenged. That said...we'll be in Italy in September and part of the trip includes a week in Umbria with a rental car. I've rented before and did "okay" with only a map. We don't use/need a GPS at home (very capable map reader) and I wasn't going to purchase a GPS for our Italy trip........until this past weekend when we went somewhere and my son "assisted" my map with the GPS on his phone...giving us spoken directions. I'll admit I liked it.... and am now considering purchasing one.

Finally to my question. If I purchase a GPS with a preloaded Europe map, will the map be same one if purchased individually or would an individual map be better - offering more detailed coverage?

Thank you.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM

The difference would not be in the details. It has always been the age of the map in my experience.

The map preloaded on a unit is nearly always old and needs to be updated. I have only done online process and it was quite a chore taking many hours on my Garmin. If you look at the price, non-European unit plus separately purchased map would likely to be more expensive than integrated unit plus immediate free update. You have more choices of hardware if you get non-European unit when purchased outside the Europe.

They usually give you a rather short time window for one free update. "Lifetime update" can be limited. GPS "lives" don't worth much. But then again, the Lithium batteries are usually the component that goes kaput, so I supposed limited update is effectively a lifetime update.

If you rely heavily on GPS, a standalone unit would be more driver friendly. If the usage is for pre-trip planning or only when you get lost (which can be all the time in Italy...) then use GPS on a smartphone with offline maps.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a GPS which has pre-loaded maps of both the US and Europe. When I first used it several years ago the maps were sufficiently up to date but obviously they do not stay current forever. For the main roads that do not change and even the others that do not change a pre-loaded will probably be sufficient.

Have you considered renting a GPS unit along with your rental car?
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

I considered a rental...but as I've read in so many posts I want to make sure I know how to use it before we get there. If I do buy one, we'll use it home....although not often. I may also need it for a future trip to Europe we have planned.

We are seriously technology impaired.. barely know how to use our cell phones. Definitely need one which is easy to operate.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM

Ask around among friends and co-workers. I bet some of them have old (1-4 years) GPS units they no longer use since they got their new smartphones. Borrow one to get used to it at home, and then buy the update for Europe if you find you like it.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 07:36 PM

Buy your own... the rental cost will be equal to the purchase price or not far off.

I prefer TomTom... there is one in each of our cars. They are always on as they also act as hands free bluetooth devices for our phones. I update both units and get owner and TomTom supplied map corrections every month. It takes only seconds.

I have done large updates and bought new maps online... unlike the case with a Garmin above it did not take terribly long.
Don't forget to look up and download 'points of interest' for whatever unit you buy. POIs might be routing instructions for a particularly scenic drive, ATM locations, hotel chains and on and on. Have a great trip!