Are broomstick skirts goofy?

Jul 15th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Are broomstick skirts goofy?

Remember that I used to have one and it would be wonderful for travelling. Are they totally out of style these days?
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Never heard of such things. Please describe!

Jul 15th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Do you mean A line or a long skirt with loose appliqued pleats? or something a witch wears?
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:46 PM

I think you mean what is commonly called a "broomskirt". They were worn in the mid-90s... have to honestly say I have not seen one in close to 10 years. Long with lots of little vertical crinkles, right?
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I think they are pretty much out of style. I only see them on very tall ladies in the dessert
More fitted skirts are stylish these days, so all that fabric and swish would not be so fashionable as well as annoying when traveling. Remember, getting on and off buses, trains, sitting in small seats on buses and trains, climbing stairs..you are better off with some comfortable slacks, or A-line skirts.
Where are you going, bashful?
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:47 PM

If you are referring to the skirt I think you are referring to, best not to bring it along. Besides being long out of style, I have never found that particular skirt to flatter any figure.
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Just what I figured...I'm heading to Andalucia the end of Sept. Trying to co-ordinate my wardrobe so I can pack Fodors-lite. Trying to pack mostly black and cream-have two prs. pants-black and cream/taupe and black capris/short sleeve and 3/4 t-shirts. Am trying to find a nice skirt (I'm tall-5'10") that will fit into this plan. I have 2-3 of the Eddie Bauer beige-y type skirts but wanted something a little more dressy and stylish. Any suggestions?
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Ann Taylor often has long skirts that are more silky/flowy and will not wrinkle as badly. They are a bit pricey though... Casual Corner should have a long straight skirt that is relatively inexpensive.
It seems like the popular length for skirts right now is right at the knee or an inch or two below so that is the bulk of what is in stores.
In any case, good luck!
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:10 PM

bashful-
Forget about the broomstick skirt, those are long gone as far as fashion is concerned. If you want to wear a skirt, there are wonderful skirt styles available this year for all ages. If you are in your Thirties or younger with nice legs, the short ruffle Mini skirts are great, and can be "dressed up" for dinners, or "dressed down" for sightseeing. If you are older, the longer (knee length) skirts with the ruffle bottoms are an option for you. they are available in cotton, georgette, etc. All the American designers and contemporary sportwear companies have that style this year.
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:10 PM

They're still around, can be found in ethnic clothing stores (elastic waist, wrinkly rayon fabric, mid-calf length). I'm not vouching for them as fashionable (!) but I know some female travelers find them handy because you can knot the skirt and carry it in your day bag for slipping over skimpier clothes to visit churches.
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Hi bashful,

I'm 5'10' as well. I have a fun (polka dot!) A-line skirt that hits right around the knees. It looks tailored, classy, and smart, and there's not any extra fabric getting in the way. It's a heavy cotton with 3% spandex, and it doesn't wrinkle very easily so I'll bet it would be good to travel with. It can be dressed up or down.

Good luck and have a great time!
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Black and cream?

I observe horrified. You don't want to walk around looking like a liquorice allsort dear. Black is a formal colour to be worn in the evening or to be worn smart casually during the day, of course the end result is dependent on the cut! You wear black with greys, charcoals, and more black, not with cream! You can wear it with white, but more white underneath or trousers, but the cuts have to be minimalist to create an effective look that gels.

Try and get hold of Jil Sander's or any other fine Italian cotton T-shirts. Those cut on the bias are even better. You can wear these as stand-alone pieces or couple them with a jacket to wear them on the border of smart casual/formal for the evenings.

Diane von Furstenberg does great wraparound dresses which are not only suitable for hot climates, but can also be worn in the evening.
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Scarlett, thank you, now even I know what a broomstick skirt is!

Bashful, think practically: light wind, and you'll feel like Marylin Monroe trying to keep it down (and I love skirts)
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:16 PM

"..I just love the wind around my ankles.."
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Scarlett, "I only see them on very tall ladies in the dessert." Would that be the creme broulee, or.....?
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:40 PM

No, BeachBum, cream-broomlee
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Thank you Scarlett - I had no idea! Sounded like something a witch might wear for her rounds on the broomstick!
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:46 PM

You might try the J. Jill catalogue for some nice skirts that travel well and look a bit dressy. I think they might even have some that are reversible so that one skirt provides several looks.
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:04 PM

I'd try J. Jill, Casual Corner, and New York & Company (used to be Lerner). Knee-length skirts with a ruffled edge are very big right now in Chicago (as are those silly ruffled or pleated miniskirts!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO