Reload this Page >

Are advance reservations necessary for the London Eye

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Jon

Is it advisable to pre-book the London Eye prior to arriving in London, or would it be available upon arrival? We would be requesting early Saturday 30 March (day before Easter) Have people enjoyed the ride?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:47 PM
janis

It is generally not necessary to book far ahead - BUT you are asking about Easter weekend. This is a 3 or 4 day weekend for almost everyone in the UK and all tourist attractions will be VERY busy. I suspect the Eye is already really booked up for that whole weekend. So contact them ASAP - <BR><BR>(On a non-holiday you can get tickets any day without queueing at the Eye. The Tourist Information office at Victoria station has tickets available for 5PM the same day.)

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:13 AM
Georgine

Janis,<BR><BR>I am in the same quandry as Jon.<BR><BR>We also will be in London over Easter weekend (Friday through Monday) and want to take our godchildren on the London Eye.<BR><BR>I have been hesitant to pre-book so far because of the uncertainty of "decent" weather.<BR><BR>If I pre-book and end up with a time when there is heavy fog or rain---will the ride be worth the cost without having the views of the city?<BR><BR>I would appreciate from anyone who "went up" in bad weather!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Keith Legg

I've been on the Eye in the rain and you can still get a great view of everything, although obviously you can't see as far as on a clear day. If you want to avoid fog, try to book for about lunchtime as any fog usually lifts by then (although there isn't the legendary thick fog any more - in fact, it's pretty infrequent.)<BR><BR>That said, I think your choice of time is going to be pretty restricted. If you want to do it, then book it now otherwise I would have thought that - it being easter - there's a pretty good chance you won't get on.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Jon

Thanks for the suggestion I reserve space right away. I went on-line and made reservations for 30March. A few times were sold out, but I was able to get what I wanted. They had a small fee for the service, but worth it to me for the convience. See you on the EYE.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:49 AM
janis

It was a good idea for you to pre book. if unfortunately the weather doesn't cooperate, the ride is still great. then if the next day turns out sunny you can always try thr %PM tickets from Victoria station. <BR><BR>(Most folks I have taken on the Eye have immediately tried to book another ride while in London. In fact one friend I took up is terrified of heights but he bucked it up and rode with me anyway - the minute we landed he ran - actually ran - into the ticket office to buy tickets for he and his wife to ride the next day)

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Jon

Hi Janis,<BR>I'm not fond of heights myself, but am going to go up anyway. What is the pm% offer from Victoria Station you spoke about?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:28 PM
janis

That was supposed to read "5PM tickets". Darn typos!. What I was talking about was the tickets available each day at Victoria Station Tourist Information Center that I mentioned in an earlier post.<BR><BR>The larger of the two TIC in Victoria station has a block of tickets every day for the 5PM Eye flights. Just show up that morning - no queue (or not much of one) and as long as you are there before noon you should be able to get tickets for that afternoon. Of course the earlier you get there the better - I have always been successful doing this. But I usually stay in Pimlico so Victoria station is very convenient for me.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:57 AM
jpbering

i just came back from london last night. i did not have to wait in line to buy tickets for the Eye. probably coz of the rainy/cloudy weather. it's 9.25 pounds for an adult.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:09 AM
Jon

Thank you everyone for your info and comments.