Search

Arctic Circle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arctic Circle

Hi,all,
Does anyone know how I find out about expeditions/tours to the Arctic Circle to see polar bears? The National Geographic Tours go there and then take a tour of the Norwegian fjords but it is ver expensive. Any ideas?
Thx.
Evelyn
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:27 AM

You are joking, right?

There are no polar bears at the Arctic Circle. Right now people are sunbathing there.

The only place in Europe where you can see polar bears is Spitzbergen islands half way between northern Norway and the North Pole. And if you move around there by yourself, you need a special permit and you are required to carry a rifle. So no wonder the National Geographic tour is expensive.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:30 AM

BUT there are polar bears in zoos. For example in Helsinki and Ranua (both in Finland).
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 01:07 AM

Or Northern Canada...Manitoba has polar bears around Hudsons bay and of course our northern territories have them...not sure of any tours though
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 03:26 AM

I am not presuming about your age but providing information. Also I have no idea of the price of this trip. My folks went on an Elderhostel trip billed as "Edinburgh to the Artic Circle: Magic of the Islands & Fjords" in May which they loved. My father has gorgeous pictures of the scenery and polar bears! They weren't really tour people but now in the mid to late 80s it seems to be easier for them-at least for places they have never been.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 04:03 AM

No sunbathing but some nice saunas

You can take a train from Helsinki and go to the Artic Circle and even pet Santas Reindeer in Rovaniemi, Its a long train ride though
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Jed

Do you want to go to the Arctic Circle or see polar bears or both at the same time?

We went up the Norwegian coast above the Arctic Circle but there were no bears. We also went to Churchill on Hudson Bay and saw bears, but it was not above the AC. And we also went to Spitsbergen, above the AC, and saw bears. That is where AGM's folks saw bears.

I just looked at Natl Geographic. They have 4 tours to see polar bears.

The cheapest way is to go to Churchill. There are many tours to go there.