Reload this Page >

Dauchau and Neuschwanstein Castle Questions

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dear Fodor's Friends,

This weekend our family is going to complete our WWII travels by visiting Dauchau. Afterward, or the following morning, we will stop at Neuschwanstein Castle before we head back to Zurich.

Does anyone have experience with the distance between the two and a recommendation for a town where we should stay or an accommodation?

We'll be a family of 4 and will have our car.

Any other suggestions are most welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

gruezi
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi gruezi - have you ever taken a look at

www.bensbauernhof.com

there is wonderful advice about travel in Germany. On the homepage scroll down and you will see the heading Links, then Trip Planning. You might find what you're looking for there.

If this isn't of help to you for this trip it may be in the future as there are some great suggestions, especially when it comes to farm stays, if you are interested. Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.
Susan
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM

You can get the distances and how to go between the two places by using viaMichelin.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM

gruezi - PLEASE either email me or trip report on this - as it is on our trip agenda in the fall.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM

BTW, it's Dachau, not Dauchau.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:27 AM
ira

Hi G,

www.viamichelin.com says it is about 1:40 hr from Dachau to Fuessen.

We enjoyed our stay at http://www.hotel-hechten.com/

They have a parking lot.

Have a nice visit.

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Michael...

sorry... I deal with so many languages every day - most of which I can't speak that sometimes I surprised I can even speak let alone spell.

gruezi
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your responses and suggestions.

Ira -

Thanks so much for the specific help which is what I need.

Dawn -

Of course I will. We had a wonderful trip to Berlin. I have to share that as well.

gruezi
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM

gruezi-- your post is kind of confusing; are you looking for the distance between Dachau and Neuschwanstein? or the distance beween Dachau and Zurich? or Neuschwanstein Castle and Zurich?

I would suggests you do Dachau, then head down towards Fussen, with stops at Ettal and Linderhof Schloss, overnight at Garmisch-Partenkirchen (definitely!), visit Neuschwanstein Castle the next day and on to Zurich. This is a long drive, add an hour to any estimate you get from online driving estimators.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Hello gruezi

Oh, how jealous I am of you to be able to make this a weekend trip. It's so beautiful there now. Soak it all up!!

There is plenty of car parking at Dachau. We chose to purchase one of the audio guides (3 Euros each, plus you leave your ID there). It was helpful for a bit of history and guidance.

The main buildings are filled with displays with the history. Lots of reading, if you're interested in that. The grounds are quite large. Way out back, through a gate, is the gas chamber / crematorium area.

There were lots of school groups when we were there, but they were extremely respectful.

Neuschwanstein is terrific! We bought a combination ticket and also visited Hohenschwangau.

If you are planing on taking a bus up to the castle, be sure to allow plenty of time to do this. We had to wait in the bus line about a half hour, and then it is another 10-15 minute trek once you get to the drop-off point. Also, be sure to get up there early enough before your tour to see the swinging bridge with the great view of the castle (although half of it is covered in scaffolding right now so it kind of ruins the picture .. sigh .. )

Also, remember that the bus is a separate ticket that you purchase from the bus stop, not the ticket center.

We only took the bus uphill and walked down. It's a beautiful, easy walk down the hill. Just remember to go in the opposite direction from the bus drop-off. You don't want to go on that road.

And the lake with the swans - oh my!! Your kids will love it.

Good stuff!

Happy travels!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Dear Gruezi,

I took a train from Fussen to Munich a couple of years ago and it was about an hour and a half, but the viamichelin website is your best resource. We stayed at the Hotel Sonne http://www.booking.com/hotel/de/hotelsonne.en.html which was right near the train station in the center of town, really nice, very clean and not all the expensive. You can take the buses or your car up to the castles which is only about 5 minutes away. Again this was a couple of years ago, but I really liked the small town atmosphere of Fussen and really enjoyed the beautiful views all around. Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM

Gruezi,

My family and I did a similar long weekend - we went to Dachau then on to Neuschwanstein. The drive took us quite a bit longer than 1:40 because we got lost on some back roads . We took about three hours to get there. There are several hotels in Hohenschwangau and Füssen; we had a small suite in Hotel Müller that was pretty nice. have fun!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone and thank you all!

To clarify: (and I've had 3 glasses of wine so bear with me...)

Our plan was to head to Dachau on Friday from Zurich (we think about 4 hours or less drive), stop for lunch somewhere and then spend a few hours at the concentration camp and then head either toward Fussen and overnight somewhere nearby or on the way or overnight in Munich. Then see Neuschwanstein Castle on Saturday (we will call tomorrow re: a tour and hopefully we can get a reservation).

Afterwards, lunch somewhere and head back to Zurich.

My husband wanted to spend one night in Munich to see if we'd like to go back sometime. I think I'd rather just save it for another trip. I hate rushing around and we have done a lot of travel this summer already. And, it really is so close we can make it another weekend...

We are taking the trip to Dachau as the last part of my older daughter's WWII travel she did this summer which some of you have been helping out with and following along with. We've already been to Normandy, London and Berlin and this is our last leg of a pretty amazing education on this topic. She starts senior year on August 19th and has been busy preparing schoolwork and writing college essays so she doesn't have a lot of extra time to hang out in Munich unfortunately

Thanks again to everyone, and any further comments/suggestions are appreciated. As you can see I don't have a lot of time to plan this, or to spend there, so I appreciate all the help you can provide.

gruezi

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Hello again gruezi

I know your time is short, but if you can possibly fit this in, I would highly recommend it:

http://tinyurl.com/5b8e6q

It's the Four au Chaux, French underground fortifications built along the German border.

Absolutely fascinating. You take a tour for two hours underground thru what seem like miles and miles of tunnels, where the French soldiers lived for months on end. Truly a highlight of WWII study.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

swisshiker,

Thank you for all your suggestions!!

That sounds fascinating.

Our problem is always so much to see, so little time...

I keep joking with my daughter that she should just skip senior year and travel with me. I think she is pretty tempted, but maybe I'm a bad influence!

gruezi

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Going back all way to Füssen after the Zürich-Dachau trip will be quite some driving, plus you will probably hit the afternoon rush hour on the A99 beltway after your visit to Dachau.

If you stayed in Dachau, you could take the S-Bahn to Munich (appr. 20min, every 20min) for dinner and maybe a visit to a beer garden.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM

swisshiker - don't post things like that..makes me want to to go to other places then I already am!!

Too many places..sigh.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I wish I had read cowboys post first, but I think we are going to stick with the plan to see Dachau Friday and then drive to Schwangau to wake up by Neuschwanstein on Saturday. Hopefully, traffic will not be too horrible. We will have to do a bit of driving it seems, but we wanted to see Dachau first and something lighter the next day.

Hopefully we can throw the teenagers in the car early Friday morning and they will sleep for a couple hours. They are always so delightful when woken early

I don't think we will spend more than a couple hours at Dachau as we have seen so many holocaust exhibits this summer. I just felt it an important part of the whole education to actually see the camp versus seeing photos and reading about it. The girls are a bit reluctant, honestly, because they know this kind of thing is very hard to see.

Here is where we have booked rooms for Friday night in Hohenschwangau:

www.lisl.de/528.0.html

We have tickets for 11:15 on Saturday for the castle. My husband wanted to book for 9 but I remembered all the Fodorite advice on the very long walk up...and I know the very cranky morning teenagers...

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

gruezi
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 07:34 AM

Those rooms look fabulous!