Arcos or Vejer for an overnight stay?

Oct 12th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Arcos or Vejer for an overnight stay?

Hello there

I'm planning a trip to Andalucía in November and would appreciate some advice.

My partner and I are arriving in Seville for three nights and then making our way down to Cadiz, stopping off at a few places along the way, and finally ending up at Ronda and Malaga. Since we've got roughly three nights in each of the cities, I was thinking that we should also plan to spend some time in smaller towns. My question is: which out of Arcos and Vejer would be good for an overnight stay?

I've heard that Arcos can be a bit quiet in the evenings, though, and wonder if it mightn't be better as a day trip from Jerez. We're not interested in clubs or bars and would be perfectly happy with a few cafes and tapas joints - anything with a bit of life. I just don't want to be wandering around deserted streets of any evening! Which would you recommend? Many thanks.
Oct 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Does nobody have anything to say?
Oct 12th, 2006, 11:00 AM

We just stayed at Arcos overnight at end of June. It was pretty quiet, if not deserted at night (which we happened to have loved having planned it between Seville and Granada). Not too much in a form of bars or tapas. The Parador has a nice restaurant and a fabulous view. There are a few other good restaurants at the top of this hilltown (most scenic) and more on the bottom.

Unfortunately cannot compare to Vejer. I must say these two were my finalists when I planned my trip but Arcos was closer on the way to Granada for us. I certainly have not regretted my choice, but you may find it too quiet at night.

-e
Oct 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Hi SaminLondon,
I think it depends on whether you'd rather spend you time exploring in the mountains, the Serranía, around Arcos, visiting other perched Moorish white towns (doing more of the route of the Pueblos Blancos) or closer to the coast, Vejer being just 10 km. from the coast.
They will both be very quiet at night but Arcos is larger, 27,000 inhabitants versus Vejer's 13,000.

Arcos is an easy day trip from Jerez.
Oct 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your adice - very helpful. I had suspected as much! I would rather overnight in Arcos, but we're also travelling along the Costa de Luz, where there isn't much between Cadiz and Tarifa, so a night in Vejer might be necessary. I guess we'll have to make our own amusement!
Oct 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM

SaminLondon,
We had a visit to Vejer set up and had to cancel last yr. when business took us elsewhere. We had planned to stay at Casa Cinco, owned by a British couple. There's another B&B lodging, El Escondrijo, which also looked inviting. You can see both at www.innsofspain.com

Yes, Vejer will be extremely quiet. Any evening action that you could find in this area would be in the wind surfer's capital of Tarifa, but in Nov. I would suspect it wouldn't have much buzz either! And Tarifa is 50 km. further east on the coast.