Arcos dining

Jun 8th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Arcos dining

In final stages of planning Spain trip. Staying in Arcos at the parador for one night should we eat there or at the restaurant El Convento? Have 2 picky kids so any recommendations welcome.
Jun 8th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Hi DOCK,
With the 2 picky kids, you might be better off with the Parador menu, as they can skip the regional specialties on the menu's left side, and go for something more basic-there's always the "solomillo" (filet mignon) and safe fish dishes. The Paradors even have a children's menu, but your kids are older, correct?

El Convento has a very pretty interior with Andalusian patio and is known throughout the whole province for its nice regional cuisine (like game dishes and cod with tomato, squid with potatoes-"chocos")-might be too regional or "exotic" for really picky eaters, but the restaurant is featured in many guides, including Rick Steves so it gets its share of tourists. It has a fixed price, 3 course meal for 24 euros. I suggest before committing, you go peruse their menu displayed outside so your kids can see if there's anything appealing.

Have fun!
Jun 8th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maribel, I wish I could send you a token of appreciation as you have been extremely helpful I sure hope you will be able to help next summer with either France or Italy.Kids are 13 and 9, both boys.2 more questions: re; ave trip will I have a luggage problem as I am sure we will have at least 2 bags as I do wish to do some shopping.Does luggage go in a separate compatment or do we keep it with us and will it be safe? Also what class of ticket should we book my main criteria is the safety issue, we will not need a meal as we plan to take 9/10 am train.I plan to purchase ticket at Barajas on arrival as we have a 5hr. layover before connecting to Malaga. Finally my boys wish to see abullfight , now if thsi offends you and you do wish to provide any info thats ok as I am not planning to go myself, but my husband will take them. I understand that smmer is the season on the coast and as the first Sunday we will on the coast do we just find out in the paper if its in malaga /Marbella or are their other locations. I have tried to access Ronda and Malaga arenas but with no luck. Have a wonderful week and if you need something from canada feel free to let me know. Faye.
Jun 8th, 2003, 05:56 PM

Hi DOCK,
About the AVE luggage. We kept our bags with us last month, and put them in the storage area at the end of our car but kept an EAGLE EYE on them the whole time. The bags of ceramics we kept next to us. There is extra overhead storage above your seat as well. Anything fragile, breakable should be kept at your side, because fellow passengers will just stack heavy bags very hurriedly and with abandon on top of yours. Every available inch of those storage areas was filled to capacity and then some. If we hadn't gotten off in Córdoba to tour, then to take a later AVE to Madrid, we could have checked our bags to Madrid. There is no bag checking capability from Córdoba on to Madrid, so we had them with us for both trips (in Córdoba we stashed them in the storage bins). But again, if you deposit your bags on the luggage racks at the end of the car, just keep an eye on them during the stops, obviously.

We decided to splurge and purchase preferente (first) class seats because it was Easter Monday, and we knew the trains would be packed to the gills. Thought with the fewer seats in preferente it would be quieter and more relaxing,which it was. But on a normal run, I feel it's absolutely not necessary and a waste of good money. We were served a cont. brk on the Seville-Córdoba run and then on the late afternoon Córdoba-Madrid we were given a choice of a sandwich or pastry tray and all the wine, liqueurs, etc. we could consume. That was totally wasted on us because we had just enjoyed a large mid-day meal in Cordoba!

About the bullfight tickets question-I answer that all the time and now must handle the orders for San Fermín, as part of my Pamplona job. Your husband will want to buy seats in the shade (sombra) and preferably high up, in the gradas or andanadas. The experience can be quite overwhelming for the first-timer, especially if in the tendido bajo (lower) section-too up close is not recommended for your boys.
You can go to
www.torosensevilla.com to see what's coming up in any Plaza. On the left hand side, just click on "Toros en", then España, then the province in the Andalucía box. Or go to www.mundotoro.com and click on "próximos carteles", and there you'll see the list for all the corridas in all plazas, including the French ones. The only corridas usually held in Ronda are during the Pedro Romero festival in early September.
There's also the new www.toroentrada.com, a site to pre-purchase tickets, but we tried to purchase them for the opening of the season on Easter Sunday in Sevilla, but they were bundled in 2 day packages, Sun-Mon and wildly expensive, plus they weren't great seats, so we didn't bite.
The upcoming corridas on the coast will be highly publisized for the tourists-you'll see posters everywhere, and they should be listed in the paper as well.

Hope this helps answer your last minute questions. We're leaving in just over a week, but unfortunately we won't coincide in Madrid. Heading to France first (Loire, Dordogne, Bordeaux), then to Northern Spain. Hope you have a wonderrful trip!

And hope this helps to answer some of your questions.
Jun 8th, 2003, 07:10 PM

Forgot
www.ticketstoros.com is the on-line source for pre-purchasing tickets for the Plaza de Toros Las Ventas in Madrid, but save for the La Comunidad & San Isidro festivals in May and into June, the Corrida de la Beneficencia in June, and the Festival de Otoño in late Sept.-early Oct., it's not necessary to buy them ahead of time for a normal summer Sunday at 7. They go on sale at the bullring a couple of days in advance. The bullfighting museum, Museo Taurino, in the back of Las Ventas near the stables is free, and it's one of the few that has labeling actually in English; open Tues-Fri, 9:30-2:30, Sun, 10-1 www.las-ventas.com (metro: Las Ventas)