Search

Arc de triomphe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Harvey

Arc de triomphe

Is it possible to get up to the top of the Arc de triomph by or mostly by elevator. I tried last November but was unsucessful. I can't walk up that many stairs.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Rex

I was under the impression that elevator service was installed in 1999, so if you were unable to find info in Nov (2000?), then I wonder if it never happened. <BR> <BR>On a separate note, I am trying to establish communication with all central Ohio area "Fodorites" - - considering a get-together in November. <BR> <BR>I would appreciate communication (by e-mail, off the board) with you. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex Bickers <BR>Westerville, Ohio <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Joe

I was there in August and there were no elevator options, only 284 steps one way. There are places to stop along the way off the steps and it is an aamzing view. Don't give up, just take your time.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 07:15 AM
aj

We were on the top of the Arc de triomphe in May. As I recall we did take an elevator most of the way to the top where there was an information room regarding the Arc and history then there were "several" steps on a spiral stairway to the observation area on the top. I don't recall too many steps the rest of the way up.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Jeanette

<BR>I am not sure, but it seems to me that I read that you can take the elevator if you are over 60years old.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Joanne

Harvey: <BR> <BR>We took an elevator to the small museum area, gift shop, etc. and then proceeded up the remainder of stairs as described above. We saw no signs restricting the use of the elevator to any age group, but don't know for sure whether or not that is the case. <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 11:39 AM
diane

We took the elevator in June 2000. It is tucked away somewhat out of sight, and I believe we did have to show proof of age (or maybe they just believed we were over 60, which we were, just barely). The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top--you still have to walk further on up--but it helps.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:35 PM
mary kay

In October 1999 we(group of 6 adults) took the elevator up. The sign said "reserved for pregnant, old or infirm". They did not ask for proof of age, altho one of our group had silver hair. Fantastic view of Paris, in fact after our trip was over we all said that was one of the highlights of our trip. One note, we visited after dark and there was not much of a crowd, so maybe they were lenient with us. good luck!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:06 PM
greg

There are four legs to the Arc. Looking the Arc from the Place de la Concorde side, we entered the right front leg and saw the stairs only. At the museum level, I noticed that the right back leg was where an elevator was located.