Search

ARAGON SKIING??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARAGON SKIING??

Could any kind traveller/skier offer information to my myriad questions unde "COVA AND MARIBEL.... ????
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:38 PM

Hi Paul,<BR><BR>I don´t know when are you planning to go, but right now the road is closed due to avalanches from Canfranc, and also in the french side. So Astun and Candanchu are out of limits.<BR><BR>I prefer Formigal (it´s a bit bigger than the others) and then it would be a toss-up between Candanchu and Astun.<BR><BR>Rgds, Cova
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Hola Cova! It seems most people agree on steepness of Candanchu, smallishness of Astun, and &quot;feeling of travel&quot; (bigger) of Formigal. They also agree on Candanchu having the worst lifts, second Astun, and lastly Formigal. What say you?<BR><BR>Also, Cerler seems to rank higher than the other three I mention, especially in Lifts; does Cerler have great runs as well?<BR><BR>Is there any major difference in crowds at each resort for Sat/Sun?<BR><BR>Best Regards.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 11:57 PM

Hi Paul,<BR>I have been skiing this past Saturday in Formigal, and I truly recommend it. We had a great time, and every year they improve the lifts, the ticketing system, the slopes ... It´s no wonder that many former Astun fans are driving a bit longer to get there. It´s a bit more expensive than Candanchu or Astun, 28 Euro for the whole day, 25 for half-day beginning at 12:30. You have to pay a 3 Euro caution, they give you the ticket, a smart card that works with proximity to the lifts, so you don´t have to get it out of your pocket. Also, you get the 3 Euro back if you give it back when you finish skiing, but it lasts until 2005.<BR><BR>I saw that you were asking for a hotel with indoor swimming-pool. The new 4-stars Saliecho has it, but they are still building behind the hotel, and I am not sure of being able to pay the high prices when you still have building noises. Also, they seem to advertise good prices, but I don´t know why, they are never available ...<BR><BR>If I were you, specially with a young child, I´d try to stay in Jaca. Between the resorts of Candanchu-Astun and Formigal (OK, I know there is a drive of 40 mns to Formigal, but not so bad), bigger and more of a traditional spanish small town feeling. Plenty of restaurants and things to do (a couple of two good sports equipment shops). I would look into staying at the Aparthotel Oroel (do a search, I posted sometime its URL), even without the swimming pool.<BR><BR>Rgds, Cova<BR>
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Cova, I think our final... itinerary would please you: 20/2-24/2 Ski between Canadnchu and FORMIGAL (enfasis en formigal), sleep in Sabinanigo Confortel Hotel (almost equi-distant to both). 25-28 Ski Cerler, hotel not determined yet! And finally, 1-5/3 Ski Sierra Nevada (if conditions are good), Hotel Ibis or Santa Cruz. If S.N. conditions bad, we move back to Aragon or forward to Baqueira.<BR>I appreciate your advice. All the best.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:04 AM

Hi Paul,<BR>the only thing I would do is not to stay in Sabi&ntilde;anigo. It is an industrial town, and I don´t think you are gaining anything from not staying in Jaca. I would look into staying either in Formigal or Sallent de Gallego (and then skiing only in Formigal or maybe Artouste in the french side), or staying in Jaca and drive to any of the places depending on the weather. If there isn´t any luck with the snow, from Jaca you can visit places like San Juan de la Pe&ntilde;a, or moving a little further, Sos del Rey Cat&oacute;lico.<BR>Also, with the new tunnel, Oloron Ste-Marie and Pau are getting nearer ...<BR>Have a look to the following places :<BR>Hotel Real<BR>http://www.hotelrealjaca.com/<BR>Aparthotel Oroel<BR>http://www.pirineo.com/apartahotel.oroel<BR>Hotel Conde Aznar<BR>http://www.jaca.com/conde-aznar/<BR><BR>Tell me if you prefer to continue this by email, and I´ll give you my address.<BR><BR>Rgds, Cova
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi again. Now you tell me about Sabinango...after I guaranteed to CCard! No worries, a Hotel for us is a good bed, breakfast, and LOCATION, the latter being the reason we chose it. Whatever... Anyway, can you suggest a VERY French restaurant anywhere near Formigal and/or Candanchu? Also, is Pamplona worth the drive just to see where the bulls have fun? I don't think we will go to S. Sebastian and Biarritz as originally planned, unless there is a no-ski day. <BR>In Cerler, we are between Hotels Arguells and St. Anton; what say you? Tks and keep 'em coming, although we leave in 1 Hour (it is now 5:45 in Spain). My e-mail is [email protected]. Regards.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:02 AM

Hi Paul,<BR><BR>I will write to you privately, but if you have booked the place for this weekend, you are quite lucky. Stick with it, because last weekend Jaca was fully booked, including agritourisms and the likes.<BR><BR>Bye, Cova