Apt. - which location?

Search

Apt. - which location?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apt. - which location?

We are looking at an apartment rental for our next trip. Which location would you choose? Rue Colonel Combs or Ave de la Motte Piquet ?
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Avenue de la Motte Piquet is a very long street, so it would be better if you gave an exact address or at least some indication where on that street.

Depending on that answer, I might choose it just because I think it is more convenient to public transporation. There is no metro stop that near the other one, only the Alma RER, but it depends on how much you want to be within a couple blocks of one. That matters to me a lot. Rue Col Combes is a nice quiet residential area from what I know, it's behind the American Church.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

The address is 27 Motte Piquet. It looks like its accross the street from Rue Cler.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 02:23 PM

yes, it is, approximately. It's across from a Post office branch, I believe. That's a tough one as it might depend on lots of things, including how much I liked each apartment and the rate. In general, I would find the Motte Piquet adress more convenient for shopping and transportation and would lean to it. That is a nice older apt. building at that address.

However, that is a somewhat busy major street and could be noisy, so I'd want to know what time of year and the floor of the apt. If it were on a real upper floor (assuming there was an elevator), I'd choose that, or if in cold weather. I think the other location is quieter for that reason, being a side street.

However, if you want to walk easily across the Seine or to tourist attractions, as many people do, the Col. Combs would be closer as it's only a block from the quai. It's just farther to a metro stop -- Invalides or across the river, I guess. I don't really know that area so well, either, but I think there are some good restaurants I've seen reviewed around there, so am not worried about that so much.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina for your information. Both seem to have good points, so I'll just need to make a decision.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:06 AM

JackieA, I would also pick the Ave de la Motte Piquet address. Have you checked to see what it looks like on www.lespagesjaunes.fr yet? If you're not already familiar with this website (the French Yellow Pages), it will provide you with a map, which will show nearby Metro stations, but also show you a picture of the hotel. You can also click the areas and "walk" down the streets to kinda/sorta get a feel for the neighborhood.

I hope you have a great time in Paris! When will you be going?
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:16 AM

A caveat: no matter what the location, avoid apartments on the ground floor. You have to roll down ALL the security shutters every time you go out, even if it's just for five minutes. Also, people can do some weird things--we once rented a ground floor apartment for a month and some French teenagers passing by threw lit cigarettes into the living room (the windows were open as it was a warm day and we were eating in the adjacent dining alcove).