Apt in Barcelona

Sep 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Apt in Barcelona

We've been searching for an apt in Barcelona preferable in the El Borne area. Could anyone give me some idea about the location of this apt? There is a link to the map. Thanks!
http://tinyurl.com/m7t9nl
Sep 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM

We stayed near the Cathedral in Feb/Mar 2008 and walked alot in the general area of this apartment - particularly around the Palau de la Musica (a must visit). I thought the area seemed fine - when I was looking many people told me to stay above Princesa (which this is) in the El Borne area.

Have a great time!
Sep 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM

we just had a long weekend in Barcelona and we spent a lot of time in this area too. it's close to all the sights and also to the beach.

here's the link to the palau di musica in case you want to book tickets on line:

www.palaumusica.org

we went to a concert there of flamenco and opera [rather a strange combination]. it's worth doing for the surroundings alone, but if you don't fancy that, you can do a guided tour as well.
Sep 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Elizabeth & annhig. That's helpful to know. We will defintiley visit the palau di musica.
annhig, this past winter we actually saw Carmen done as a flamenco show. None of us were wild about it. How was the show u saw?
Sep 18th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Generally , it is a good location but there are a lot of very small streets in the are of the apt. - hard to tell
if they are o.k. at night.
I prefer to be a bit further south closer to the Picasso Museum.
take a look at
http://www.habitatapartments.com
Sep 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM

I agree with danon; we like not far from the Picasso museum and Santa Maria del Mar church and it is very safe, yet accessible to everything. Metro stop less than a block away, easily walkable to the Barcelona Cathedral, tapas bars etc. within a few blocks. Try us at www.likelivingthere.com or - I'm being generous because they have helped us get started as a booking agency, go direct to www.bcngotic.com
Sep 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM

In 2006 we stayed in a great AIR CONDITIONED apartment wtih an elevator at 350 Independencia right in that area not far from Sagrada Familia. We are two middle aged couples and found the Sant Pau area very safe. We had read that the Gothic quarter was the area where you had to be especially attentive. Pickpockets are the concern in Barcelona and they do their best business of course in the tourist areas.
Staying in an apartment was fabulous because a hotel would have cost as much for one room as we paid for a the whole beautiful 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment.
We have also rented a lovely apartment in Tallinn, Estonia with amazing success, right on the old town square.
In both cases I researched a lot to find the apartments I felt most desirable for the price and reputation.
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM

This is a great spot in the Born area. We have stayed there for the last two years in May.

http://habitatapartments.com/en/barc.../princesa3.htm
Sep 19th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone -- our problem is we need the equivalent of 2 2 single beds together and that seems to be a bit of a chllange to find.
macdog, I like your apt and its one we have considered but not sure if the bed is more of a double or Queen (AMeerican sizes.) What was your feeling on the bed size? I asked Habitat but they have not given me the dimensions. About noise, was it relatively quiet for a city location? thanks
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:41 AM

if you can use a bed and a pull out instead of two beds together (?) you will have no problem finding a place.
I stayed in habitata Princesa building ( 2 bedrm apt) - it is a nice building in a great location. I would stay there again.
Sep 19th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I think our bed was a queen size. Location is great and the apartment is on a small street with no cars.
Sep 20th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

danon, that would not be our preferred arrangement. Problem is my husband is rather tall and has trouble with some beds. Usually with persistence we are able to find either larger queen beds or in many cases they put 2 singles together and made up as one bed. Thanks though

magdogmom, Habitat rep described it as a double when I asked, but it looks larger than that in the pictures. I've asked them again for the actual dimensionsions. Thanks
Sep 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM

danon, that would not be our preferred arrangement. Problem is my husband is rather tall and has trouble with some beds "

We have the same problem.. My husband is 6'3 and has a bad back. We rent either 2 bed. or one bed with a pull out ( I usually get the pull out!). I understand it is not for everyone, but for a week or so we have no problem sleeping in separate rooms. Standard European double bed is not for us.
Sep 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM

p.s.
from what I remember, most of the apt. we rented in Europe had a double bed ( not American queen).
Sep 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM

if it's any help [it probably won't be!] the beds at the fira palace hotel are king-size. a bit if research revealed that DH had paid €99 per night and the rooms are huge.

not the convenience of an apartment, but it depends how desparate you are for a decent night's sleep.
Sep 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM

My husband is 6'4" and I don't remember any issues with the beds being too small at the habitat apartment. There is a foldout couch in the living room so that might work if you want two beds.
Sep 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone -- it really is hard for us to find the right bed arrangements in Europe esp in Apts. It does seem easier in hotels. It we switch areas and stay in Exiample there is one that has two singles made up together. It looks like a really nice apt and is recommended by Nikki on this board. We've never tried the arrangement of the bed and using the pullout, maybe we should consider that....hmmm. Do really like the looks of the Princesa 3 apt.

annhig, I read your TR and mentally noted it was a large room and king size. I think it may be further out than we want to stay based on your TR. but I definitely have it on my radar.

Such decisions!
Sep 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM

hi yes,

truthfully, the fira palace is a bit out of the way. but if you are more sensible than me and don't ruin your feet on the first day, the metro stops at plaza d'espagna and poble sec are reasonably close as is the no 50 bus.

Barcelona is so big that you are bound to use the metro a lot, so it hardly matters where you start. that said we loved the exiample and if we go to barcelona again, i would be very happy to stay there.

have a great trip

regards, ann
Sep 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Eixample is also a pretty big area, but if you are not too far from Placa Catalunya you can walk to El Born in 10 minutes.